Jordan Staal

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
Pens fan here, in peace. I was just wondering how Jordan Staal a.k.a. ESB (Eric Staal's Brother) has been doing as a Hurricane so far.

A quick look at his stats shows that he has 5 assists already. That's not bad.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Pens fan here, in peace. I was just wondering how Jordan Staal a.k.a. ESB (Eric Staal's Brother) has been doing as a Hurricane so far.

A quick look at his stats shows that he has 5 assists already. That's not bad.

He has been fantastic to this point. Nothing is falling for him in the way of scoring chances, but he's around every play and he's effective in all zones. I would like to see him use his shot a little more, but that's a pretty small beef with him. He seems at his best with Eric on the PP. Those two are a two man cycle game. It has worked out as well as can be expected so far.

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
I agree that he needs to be less hesitant to shoot. He's a terrific playmaker with a great scoring winger in Skinner, but sometimes the scoring chances he creates with his passes aren't as good as a simple shot would have been.

But overall, if he keeps getting points at this rate then we'll be ecstatic.

Last edited:

Illinest

Jan 7, 2008
Harrisburg
He looks slower than he really is. Nobody in the league can look as slow as him while still winning a race to the puck.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
He opens space for Skinner. I don't think he's that great of a playmaker, but he knows how to get the puck to the open man.

Great on the boards, great size, great speed, long reach, excellent defensively and showing that offensive game when given a competent winger in Skinner. I couldn't have asked for more.

Also, I think Eric is beginning to become jealous of the bro bond Skinner and Jordan are forming. He better watch out or Semin will get him.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Pittsburgh misses him big time. Sutter's a nice player, but he's your prototypical 3rd line center. Staal was a luxury on the 3rd line because he's a more than capable 2nd line center. He's a beast of a player and the pens already look smaller in his absence. He's just going to get better as he gets more comfortable.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Pittsburgh misses him big time. Sutter's a nice player, but he's your prototypical 3rd line center. Staal was a luxury on the 3rd line because he's a more than capable 2nd line center. He's a beast of a player and the pens already look smaller in his absence. He's just going to get better as he gets more comfortable.

Pierre McGuire just died. He thinks he's the 2nd coming of Gretzky.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I've been a bit disappointed with him in his own zone. But the space he creates for Skinner by drawing defenders is spectacular. It's what Eric and Skinner should have been.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I'm a little surprised at how much better defensively Sutter was. That being said, the guy is a beast, and the Staal 1-2 punch for the next decade bunch of years is going to be a delight to watch.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
So much better than Sutter. Plus JR managed to trick the ens into taking Dumoulin off our hands!

Hopefully this is a joke....I am assuming it is. I was hoping for a bit more dominance from Jordan to be honest with you. And I wish the Canes still had Dumoulin....bc as you can see the Canes defense is not Great.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I knew he was big, but what surprises me is how strong Jordan Staal is. In the Boston game, he was going down the left side of the rink in the 2nd period and the defenseman (forget who) came over to deliver a hip check and nail him against the board. I cringed when he was hit but Jordan skated right though it as if it was nothing.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Doumilon is currently at 14 pts in 42 games, and a -5 in the AHL. Not exactly world-beating down there.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I knew he was big, but what surprises me is how strong Jordan Staal is. In the Boston game, he was going down the left side of the rink in the 2nd period and the defenseman (forget who) came over to deliver a hip check and nail him against the board. I cringed when he was hit but Jordan skated right though it as if it was nothing.

Hes starting to realize he's stronger than most anyone in the league. Guy's a monster.

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
I can see flashes of his potential offensively, but he hasnt really shown that here, aside from some timely assists, which arent to be discounted. I guess I expected more from him goal scoring wise in the early going. That being said, only 2 of our guys are actually scoring goals, so he isnt alone in that department.

His defensive game, however, has been stellar. Maybe i expected more speed from him, but he DOES seem a little slower than everyone else at times. But he does have awesome puck protection skills and great zone presence.

But with all of that being said, somehow i still find myself expecting more.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I'm not saying he has blazing speed because he doesn't, but people who are tall and thick like Jordan tend to look slower than they actually are. His "slowness" might get a little amplified due to that fact.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Hes still the heaviest Cane in captivity.

Its kinda sad thay Faulk is our heaviest d-man...and barely 6ft tall. But I have faith that Pete Freisen will get him down to 165 eventually.Im sure Pete thinks he's fat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad