Injury Report: Jordan Staal (Concussion) - UPD: Placed on IR on 1/4/; Skating on 2/14; Returned 2/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I think we need to be careful with our expectations of Necas being a center for us. I’ve got an itchy feeling he may pan out to be a good player for us, but end up as a winger.

He’s played at a considerably higher level when on the wing in the AHL so far. His play has slowed down considerably since being moved back to center recently. In his last 10 games at center he has 0 goals, 2 assists.

I think he should be in the NHL next year. But should start as a winger and try and ease him into being an NHL center .

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
I think we need to be careful with our expectations of Necas being a center for us. I’ve got an itchy feeling he may pan out to be a good player for us, but end up as a winger.

He’s played at a considerably higher level when on the wing in the AHL so far. His play has slowed down considerably since being moved back to center recently. In his last 10 games at center he has 0 goals, 2 assists.

I think he should be in the NHL next year. But should start as a winger and try and ease him into being an NHL center .

That process certainly has worked out for Aho, thus far.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

"But - and this is a big but - in the 23 games Staal has missed since not feeling right again on Dec. 22, the Canes have posted a 15-7-1 record, second-best in the league in that time."

I feel more nervous than excited about Staal replacing an AHLer in the lineup. Wish I didn't.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If Jordan Staal takes Lucas Wallmark's minutes -- and only Lucas Wallmark's minutes -- we're a better team.

Wallmark has averaged 14:21 per night in 2019 (17 games)
Staal has averaged 19:40 per night in his 29GP this year

I do hope they view him as a "we've been playing well without him so let's ease him in" rather than "our 20 minute a night savior is back".

I don't know who they take out of the lineup but I hope it isn't McKegg or Maenalanen. At least a few nights this year they have pulled the weight of the team with their energy. Both have been about twice as productive than Jordan Staal was this year pre-injury.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I can't help juxtaposing his apparent optimism on the NHL.com article to the stories of those who post-concussion aren't and can't be getting anything from the NHL anymore.

Johan Franzen's wife details his post-concussion struggles

This prolonged, setback-y recovery makes me concerned of things where the season is a secondary worry.

SliceNDice92

Dec 10, 2017
I am dreading him coming back. I really fear he will be a net negative on the team. I hope I'm wrong.
He can help with our face-off production which has been **** since he went down which has affected our possession number a bit. That being said we have done just fine without having a good face-off percentage and are still coming around with the offensive production. Honestly i think he should be o the ice when Dougie is out there. Jordan is a very good defensive forward which could help cover when dougie jumps on the rush which is just about every time. I'm positive Rod will put him back in the right slot.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If he can win faceoffs and play a good cycle/forecheck game, I don't care if his offense is only at Wallmark level. Come back soon big man.

One thing we do not need to do with him when he does come back is give him 20 minutes a night. I'd put him between Svech and Martinook and give them 15 high energy minutes.

I'm guessing Foegele would be the odd man out of the lineup. Maenelanaeanleanaeleaneneanelalaenanean has more than earned his spot at this point.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
If you dont feel right for months and cant pinpoint a particular hit that caused it, it's time to hang it up.

Hes set for life. Theres no reason!

Reactions: Unsustainable

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If he can win faceoffs and play a good cycle/forecheck game, I don't care if his offense is only at Wallmark level. Come back soon big man.

One thing we do not need to do with him when he does come back is give him 20 minutes a night. I'd put him between Svech and Martinook and give them 15 high energy minutes.

I'm guessing Foegele would be the odd man out of the lineup. Maenelanaeanleanaeleaneneanelalaenanean has more than earned his spot at this point.

McLovin is a better PKer and Manalive was utter dogshit against Ottawa. I could see either one exiting the lineup.

Even if Jordan can’t score just having him win o-zone face offs with Ferland and TT should keep the puck away from their own end for quite some time.

Reactions: Unsustainable
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad