Injury Report: Jordan Staal (Concussion) - UPD: Placed on IR on 1/4/; Skating on 2/14; Returned 2/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'd think he would have to be pretty bad off to not even be skating with the team after a month long break at the most critical point in the season (maybe the most critical point in Jordan's entire Canes career).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he was skating (not with the team) before the All Star break, right? Sounds one step forward and two steps back with his recovery.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
This may be gauche and I don't want to sound uncaring, but it's funny how for so many years it was Skinner who was apparently "one hit away" and now it's Staal who is having these problems. Goes to show that anybody is potentially one hit away at any time. Pretty scary
I thought the same thing. Some of our “smallest” guys have had few if any problems, and our biggest is starring down the barrel of a very serious situation. You just can’t predict who will have issues with this kind of thing.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Team looks far more dynamic without him. Sucks for him, but it is what it is. At some point he'll be healthy, and I imagine he'll get a shot to show that he's still productive -- but the burden of proof has changed in his absence. He's no longer the automatic 2C, or even 3C, until he proves it on the ice.

JacquesCousteau

a great caniac
Jun 6, 2018
Oh for Pete’s sake, just because we have been playing better the last month while Jordan has been out doesn’t mean it has anything to do with his absence. Correlation does not equal causation. When you have a 40 point-per-year center who is top ten in FO% you are a better team then when your running out Greg McKegg and Clark Bishop. Yes, Jordon is overpaid. No, he isn’t a liability!

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm not intentinally trying to be an ******* here. I feel for the guy, he's been through a lot.

But the team has looked better with him out of the lineup. It sucks, I like the guy, but I also think perhaps he could use a fresh start elsewhere by next opening night.

Be careful. His absence has coincided with an unsustainable uptick in team shooting percentage. They've shot ~12.5% since January 1st. To put that number into perspective, the Canes shot just ~6.25% in November and December combined. The team is at 8.06% for the year.

The correlation/causation axiom applies here.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I still do not believe we are better team with McKegg/Bishop. I'd love to see healthy Jordan. Yeah, he was bad but on other hand he was good in first few weeks. Staal is still very good player. Give me Jordan over McKegg and Bishop every day of the week.

JacquesCousteau

a great caniac
Jun 6, 2018
I still do not believe we are better team with McKegg/Bishop. I'd love to see healthy Jordan. Yeah, he was bad but on other hand he was good in first few weeks. Staal is still very good player. Give me Jordan over McKegg and Bishop every day of the week.

Correct. Wallmark is currently our second best center, and Jordan is better by every available metric.

Never wish talent away unless you know you have something better to replace it. See: Skinner; Lindholm and Hanifan for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad