Confirmed with Link: Jordan Oesterle signed for 1 year

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Best case he's a decent 6-7, worst case we waive him.

Also deal is 925k per cap friendly

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
31 year old #6 or 7 dman.
3rd pairing blue liner on a not very good Detroit team. Wings, obviously, weren't interested in re-signing him because I doubt his asking price was the sticking point.

Last edited:

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Nothing wrong with having extra depth defensemen, last year having to rely on the likes of Nick DiSimone for a few games makes me okay with having an extra few not very good players that at least have a couple hundred NHL games under their belts

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Stetcher would have cost Murray Edwards $175,000 more. A penny saved is a penny earned.
BTW, I agree with you. I like Stetcher better.
This has nothing to do with Edwards. This has everything to do with cap space. Before this signing, if we add Duehr & Pelletier to the roster, we have 711,667 in cap space.

Even if we move Gilbert to the AHL after this signing, we have just 549,167 in cap space with no extra forwards on the roster.

I hate to break it to you but when for all intents and purposes you're over the cap, saving 175k is a big deal

Reactions: Backlund

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This has nothing to do with Edwards. This has everything to do with cap space. Before this signing, if we add Duehr & Pelletier to the roster, we have 711,667 in cap space.

Even if we move Gilbert to the AHL after this signing, we have just 549,167 in cap space with no extra forwards on the roster.

I hate to break it to you but when for all intents and purposes you're over the cap, saving 175k is a big deal
I'll be surprised if Hanifin and Vladar aren't gone by the time October rolls around thus opening up another $6.3M in cap space less whatever we take back in a player that we get in return for Hanifin. The $6.3M figure includes the cost of Wolf's $833,000 salary. Even if Treliving doesn't trade Hanifin by October I really doubt the team will start the season with three goalies on the roster.... so getting rid of Vladar saves approx. $1.3M in cap space.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'll be surprised if Hanifin and Vladar aren't gone by the time October rolls around thus opening up another $6.3M in cap space less whatever we take back in a player that we get in return for Hanifin. The $6.3M figure includes the cost of Wolf's $833,000 salary. Even if Treliving doesn't trade Hanifin by October I really doubt the team will start the season with three goalies on the roster.... so getting rid of Vladar saves approx. $1.3M in cap space.
I doubt Vladar is being moved. Conroy in his presser yesterday was asked about Wolf and said they can work with the 3 goalies and get Wolf games without him sitting on the bench for long stretches. So he more or less confirmed the "hybrid" situation that Steinberg suggested, where Wolf will play in the AHL but will get games in the NHL too

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Putting yourself in a position where you have to move players to fit under the cap is how you end up giving away players who have value for free. When you're already being lowballed for the players you're trying to move it doesn't make sense to give yourself less room to maneuver.

Reactions: Lunatik

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I doubt Vladar is being moved. Conroy in his presser yesterday was asked about Wolf and said they can work with the 3 goalies and get Wolf games without him sitting on the bench for long stretches. So he more or less confirmed the "hybrid" situation that Steinberg suggested, where Wolf will play in the AHL but will get games in the NHL too
Thats news to me. Sounds like a bit of a cluster f***. Does Vladar just sit in the press box where Markstrom and Wolf play? Or does Markstrom get like 60 games and Vladar and Wolf split the remaining 22? What a joke.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thats news to me. Sounds like a bit of a cluster f***. Does Vladar just sit in the press box where Markstrom and Wolf play? Or does Markstrom get like 60 games and Vladar and Wolf split the remaining 22? What a joke.
No. Wolf will be in the AHL, so he can play 40+ games and continue to develop, then they will pick and choose games to call Wolf up to start games. Likely those will be earmarked as guaranteed days off for Markstrom, so it'd probably be Markstrom in the press box on those nights.

Also making assumptions about goaltending usage with a whole new regime is kind of pointless.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

It's much easier now that the AHL team is in Calgary. Trying to do that in the past never worked but now on nights off Markstrom gets scratched and Vladar or Wolf starts. When its time for Markstrom to start again then Wolf goes back down and Vladar is the backup. Markstrom should see less games this season, especially if his performance is subpar. It's time to see how Wolf does against NHL competition.

Reactions: Fig and Lunatik

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It's much easier now that the AHL team is in Calgary. Trying to do that in the past never worked but now on nights off Markstrom gets scratched and Vladar or Wolf starts. When its time for Markstrom to start again then Wolf goes back down and Vladar is the backup. Markstrom should see less games this season, especially if his performance is subpar. It's time to see how Wolf does against NHL competition.
I doubt this will work very well when the Flames play on the road so now we are talking about a pool of 40 home games or so where Wolf can step in an play the occasional game. And then again Vladar won't be happy playing a lot fewer games than he did last year... Sounds like a recipe for unhappiness. And what if Wolf plays great? Do you still send him down to the AHL so Vladar can play some games?

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I doubt this will work very well when the Flames play on the road so now we are talking about a pool of 40 home games or so where Wolf can step in an play the occasional game. And then again Vladar won't be happy playing a lot fewer games than he did last year... Sounds like a recipe for unhappiness. And what if Wolf plays great? Do you still send him down to the AHL so Vladar can play some games?

I don't see why this would only be limited to home games. You can bring all 3 on the road and have Dansk start for the Wranglers in Wolf's absence. . It's a less than ideal situation but definitely manageable until a permanent solution is made. I see Markstrom being the one to take the hit in games started while Vladar will have around the same depending on performance.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't see why this would only be limited to home games. You can bring all 3 on the road and have Dansk start for the Wranglers in Wolf's absence. . It's a less than ideal situation but definitely manageable until a permanent solution is made. I see Markstrom being the one to take the hit in games started while Vladar will have around the same depending on performance.
Also on a west coast road trip, that is where the Wranglers play the other half of their games. In addition, I don't think this situation would extend beyond the deadline, as I think that's when they will look to move Vladar, assuming Wolf is looking good in his first half appearances.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This is a fine signing. It let's us move out an impending UFA defenseman and the deal can be fully buried in the minors. We've traded late round picks for equivalent players at the deadline before. Maybe someone else will be that dumb.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
That wouldn't be a bad idea, and if a starting goalie gets injured somewhere in the leauge, maybe Vladar will be in a bigger demand.

Reactions: Fig

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That wouldn't be a bad idea, and if a starting goalie gets injured somewhere in the leauge, maybe Vladar will be in a bigger demand.
I think its going to be a logistics nightmare for either Wolf or Vladar what with the Flames on the road and the Wranglers on the road. Someone will surely end up with the short end of the stick with regards to nhl games played.
Trade Vladar for what you can get before the season starts. He's not that good. No great loss.

Reactions: Boomstick

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Conroy's posturing. Did the same with Hanifin in saying he'd be comfortable with having him back in training camp. It's just a matter of controlling the narrative.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Always find it strange when we bring in these types of guys. Michael Stone is the designated popcorn eater on this roster, now, then, forever.

Oesterle wasn't a regular for a bad Detroit team. In fact, he wasn't a regular for bad Arizona teams, or bad Oiler teams once upon a time.

Just a very Flames-ee type move. Grab a depth defender on the first day of FA, meanwhile there will be guys like Dermott, Bear, Foote, Jones, Clague, Mete or even someone like Juolevi who'll be looking for jobs later in the summer that could offer a bit more upside and could still fill in for the depth plug role on this roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad