Confirmed with Link: Jordan Oesterle re-signs for one year.

North

Jun 25, 2009
You know what I really like about Oesterle?

The Oilers initially signed him after seeing him play while they were scouting Kenney Morrison.

I know everybody was peeved Morrison didn't sign with us, but Oesterle seems to be far smarter and more talented.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
For a guy who played #1 minutes for us down the stretch and who didn't necessary look out of place, signing him this cheap is nice. I thought he could get double. To you guys claiming he will have failed if Oesterle is playing in the NHL this year, he looked far better than Fayne, Nurse, Clendening. Looked to be on par with Sekera to end the year. This guy is a NHL player.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
For a guy who played #1 minutes for us down the stretch and who didn't necessary look out of place, signing him this cheap is nice. I thought he could get double. To you guys claiming he will have failed if Oesterle is playing in the NHL this year, he looked far better than Fayne, Nurse, Clendening. Looked to be on par with Sekera to end the year. This guy is a NHL player.

Putting Oesterle on par with Sekera is a bit much.

Ideally none of Fayne/Nurse/Clendenning is on the NHL roster for opening day.

Fayne depends if Chia can swing a deal to move him out. Nurse would ideally start in the AHL and be the first call up. Clendenning? No reason to re-sign...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
You know what I really like about Oesterle?

The Oilers initially signed him after seeing him play while they were scouting Kenney Morrison.

I know everybody was peeved Morrison didn't sign with us, but Oesterle seems to be far smarter and more talented.

That is awesome actually. Morrison is struggling even in AHL.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If Bako's top 4 is Nurse - Reinhart - Oesterle - Clendening, that is awesome depth.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Great signing.

He's small, but he's a good skater and showed good puck moving ability. He might take a little time, but I can see him being a 6/7 Dman who also gets PP time.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
If the top 4 is upgraded this summer, and the roster shake up involves trading some defense away, then having Oesterle on the bottom pairing would be more than fine. He showed he could handle the job last year.

At any rate, this move is probably just all about Chiarelli setting the stage to prepare for the upcoming weeks. Get the little stuff cleared out of the way so you can focus on the big picture. I expect Oesterle to be either the 7th D or in the AHL to start, but it's still good to get those positions solidified with quality guys too.

thats what i think. also he gave a good chunk as a guarantee (100k) which is the incentive to sign a smaller deal.

so from players perspective its a no brainer, you have a cap friendly hit for what youve done, and you get a guarantee minimum earning higher than you had before. interesting way to get a guy on the fringes to reup without giving a cap raise.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
good asset management by the Oilers, too.

they didn't get all excited and do a Potter type deal like previous management did.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Great signing.

He's small, but he's a good skater and showed good puck moving ability. He might take a little time, but I can see him being a 6/7 Dman who also gets PP time.

You know he looks small but is basically the same size as Duncan Keith. 10-15 lbs lighter.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Maybe.

It could also mean he hit a home run moving bodies out.

If the Oilers start the season with two new D (ideally 1/2, at least both top four) and can move out Fayne + Ference (LTIR) then it could be good.

The top four would be Klefa/Sekera + two noobies.

5/6/7 is some combination of Davidson/Oesterle/Nurse/Reinhart.

With a solidified top four and Oesterle winning a spot with the big club I think the team would be ok.

Is Klefa even cleared to play as we speak. Is he healthy now? Anybody hear anything. I don't keep tabs much on offseason news.

Fayne, by my eye actually had some moments where he was putting it together. I think some of his problem was a classical case of a reasonable player being put in an untenable situation. Really Sekera, FAyne, probably struggled equally at times and yet Sekera gets a pass for it. why is that? Both of these guys can play D. While I wouldn't be happy with their performance I wouldn't be moving them out yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad