Confirmed with Link: Jordan Oesterle re-signs for one year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I like this. Osterle was solid last year and really opened eyes. He was a good puck mover and could actually handle the NHL.

By no means should be penned in for an NHL spot and should start the camp fighting for #7 spot and 1st AHL call up. But if he came out super strong and stole a bottom pairing role to start, I wouldnt be suprised

I have a feeling our bottom pair next year will be Davidson-Osterle

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
A surprise depth player. When it seemed like every player drafted was going nowhere, it is nice to have a few work out. I especially like his skill set.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I like this. Osterle was solid last year and really opened eyes. He was a good puck mover and could actually handle the NHL.

By no means should be penned in for an NHL spot and should start the camp fighting for #7 spot and 1st AHL call up. But if he came out super strong and stole a bottom pairing role to start, I wouldnt be suprised

I have a feeling our bottom pair next year will be Davidson-Osterle

Depending on what our top 4 looks like, I could live with that.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Many negative comments on him before last season. Nice to see him get the contract.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

I have a feeling our bottom pair next year will be Davidson-Oesterle

Would be perfect, especially if we can retain Gryba for cheap to act as the No.7 who rotates with him.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Wow. 585K. Didnt even think you could go that low. If he comes to camp and steals a spot for a >1M player and forces them to be dealt thatd be huge from a cap POV. Could save us 1.5-2M in cap.

Teh one thing with Chiarelli so far, every contract is great. Davidson for 1.4, Sekera for 5.5 (when concensus was 7), Lander at 987K, Talbot at 4. His biggest knock was overpaying for bottom line players, this is forsure not the case here

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Isn't this way less than his qualifying offer?

Fantastic. Davidson-Oesterle could be a bottom pairing that comes in around 2M!
Yeah, his ELC was 767.5k and 70k in the AHL. Probably getting a raise on the AHL portion with his new deal.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He earned a new contract with the organization with his play down the stretch. I don't think he's a realistic option as an opening day roster player, but it's nice knowing that there is a guy down in the minors who can come up for a handful of games and not necessarily be terrible.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Good stuff. I've really liked what I've seen from Oesterle so far. Definitely not a bad option as a #6/7 guy.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
For a stretch there I felt him and Davidson were our best pairing. Glad we resigned him and hope to see some more of him with the big club this year!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not much wrong with the price, but basically an AHL player that might get some looks here through injuries. If Oesterle starts the season here you know that Chia's offseason finding suitable D has been underwhelming.

Good for Oesterle to make some coin anyhow.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Not much wrong with the price, but basically an AHL player that might get some looks here through injuries. If Oesterle starts the season here you know that Chia's offseason finding suitable D has been underwhelming.

This is how I feel as well.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If the top 4 is upgraded this summer, and the roster shake up involves trading some defense away, then having Oesterle on the bottom pairing would be more than fine. He showed he could handle the job last year.

At any rate, this move is probably just all about Chiarelli setting the stage to prepare for the upcoming weeks. Get the little stuff cleared out of the way so you can focus on the big picture. I expect Oesterle to be either the 7th D or in the AHL to start, but it's still good to get those positions solidified with quality guys too.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Maybe.

It could also mean he hit a home run moving bodies out.

If the Oilers start the season with two new D (ideally 1/2, at least both top four) and can move out Fayne + Ference (LTIR) then it could be good.

The top four would be Klefa/Sekera + two noobies.

5/6/7 is some combination of Davidson/Oesterle/Nurse/Reinhart.

With a solidified top four and Oesterle winning a spot with the big club I think the team would be ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad