Prospect Info: Jordan Greenway (LW) - BU, NCAA - 50th Overall Pick, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
Coach speak. "Never been more excited". He wasn't as excited for a certain 2nd overall pick to come to town?

He always knew Eichel wasn't much of a project the talent and skills were already there. In Greenway his coach mind gets excited to get a coachable player, a kind of a project for himself to tinker here and there and help this player fully realize his potential.

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
I like the pick but would have preferred Bracco. If Greenway continues to develop, we got a steal. He's 50/50, will either be an impact NHL winger or will bust. He's got incredible size and can skate, plays positionally quite well. Knocks are consistency and if he will pan out. If he wasn't going to a quality program, I'd be very concerned and upset with the pick but I'm calmed as he's going to play for a good coach that wants to turn him into a great player. I am optimistic with this pick, just curious where he projects into our lineup in 3 years. Good problems to have

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
After sleeping on it, I'm more excited about the pick. While I still prefer skill over size, and wanted a guy like Bracco, Greenway could develop into quite the player if things go right.

I wonder how long he will play in the NCAA and how long he and Tuch will be on a line in Iowa. That'd be something to watch.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I like the pick but would have preferred Bracco. If Greenway continues to develop, we got a steal. He's 50/50, will either be an impact NHL winger or will bust. He's got incredible size and can skate, plays positionally quite well. Knocks are consistency and if he will pan out. If he wasn't going to a quality program, I'd be very concerned and upset with the pick but I'm calmed as he's going to play for a good coach that wants to turn him into a great player. I am optimistic with this pick, just curious where he projects into our lineup in 3 years. Good problems to have

I think 3 years is too optimistic. 3 years in college and at least 1 in Iowa.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
The upside of the pick is that Fletcher has more comfort to trade Nino, Coyle, or Tuch for say a high end player.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Agreed, should have used 3+ years. It's not impossible for him to crack an NHL roster in 3 years but I wouldn't bet on it. 4 ish +/- 1 either way seems appropriate

Although I will say, we probably all assumed that of Zucker as well, and then he went and scored 20 goals as a freshman. I guess you never know.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Not sure if this was a factor, but these scouting reports sound a lot like Saad, so the gamble can work out well.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
If Greenway somehow reaches what seems to be a somewhat ambiguous potential (I don't mean that in a bad way- just that his ceiling is a bit hazy due to his rawness) but what seems to be a high potential, he could be a serious player on this team in 3-5 years. You do not, I repeat, you DO NOT get a kid his size with the natural abilities he has (with also some negatives) any ol' day.

Yes, I love that we may some day have a team with the likes of Coyle, Nino, Tuch, Groavac, Lucia, Greenway, Ek, Folin, Olofson. These guys are all 6'2'' or bigger and are heavy. Obviously all these guys won't be on our team at once, or may never make the team and stick, but to have them in our pipeline is a big deal. It would be nice if one of these guys would pan out to be a 'steal' and become a highly feared player.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Definitely will need a few years at BU from the sound of some of the knocks on his game. I don't hate the pick, but I just question whether he would have been drafted in the same spot if he were 3-4 inches smaller.

Well obviously not. Not too many players could lose 3-4 inches and stay where they got drafted. Literally Mcdavid and Eichel probably. That's it.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Well obviously not. Not too many players could lose 3-4 inches and stay where they got drafted. Literally Mcdavid and Eichel probably. That's it.

And that's my issue with drafting for size and hoping he puts it together mentally. I don't mind the pick, but I hope he can put his tools to work.

J22*

And that's my issue with drafting for size and hoping he puts it together mentally. I don't mind the pick, but I hope he can put his tools to work.

Not much of a difference between picking a guy with all the tools but poor production. And a guy with all the production and poor tools. It's still a guessing game as to who projects to be what at the NHL level.

I would add that it doesn't appear that Greenway is just a big that they need to teach how to play. Everything that I'm reading says he has a very good skillset, he just doesn't know how to get the most out of it.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
ISS march top-30 prospects list had Greenway listed as #23. Dropped out of top-30 for the april-june lists.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami

Yeah but....then you are a twinkie without grit or size and you have to figure it out all the same.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Yeah but....then you are a twinkie without grit or size and you have to figure it out all the same.

I guess I would have rather taken that chance on Bracco versus taking Greenway. Oh well, the pick was made and I'm excited to see what Greenway can do at BU this fall.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I remember when people were upset about this pick. "Just another waste of a 2nd rounder." Seems the kid is proving some people wrong, at least so far.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I hope that he grows into his body and does well, like coyle. Every time I've seen him on tv he's been invisible, but he is only a freshman.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Haven't talked much about him lately. Here's a nice piece from the Boston Globe: https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...n-force-ice/ZC5BvuEbsQDhAF0k4QFxJN/story.html

Cool article.

"It’s a skill set, Quinn believes, that eventually will convince the Wild to shift Greenway to center. It’s far more typical of a college center to shift to wing in the pro game, the demands of playing the pivot far greater with all of its defensive responsibilities.

Quinn is impressed, too, by Greenway’s low center of gravity, his ability to play in a tucked, crouched position, also not easy for bigger players.

“Heck, I should put him in the middle because of the way he skates, his vision,†said the coach. “I think he would be a phenomenal center.’’"

Interesting

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
That was a good read. Hopefully he keeps getting better. Sounds like he has a great work ethic.

While still very early, this past years draft is looking bright with JEE, Greenway, and Kaprizov

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Definitely nice to hear some insight on Greenway post-draft and very good to hear that he's been able to move up to the top line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad