Value of: Jordan Eberle

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
He will get a minimum $7million. Islanders should move him at the deadline for a kings ransom.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm sure it didn't help being on the worst team in the league for years. Although the isles aren't much better.

While drafting wingers surely isn't a well known strategy when building a team from the ground up, Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, Magnus, Omark, Schremp, Nilson and Cogliano still should have provided more to the team. Obviously Edmonton was doing everything within it's power to ruin as many careers as possible under K-Lowe and Mac-T. And they were incredible at it. If they had an annual award for most disappointing team, they probably would have won it 6-8 times in the past 15 years.

That being said going back to Eberle he never really evolved since coming into the NHL which also says a lot for how good he was before he got NHL experience.
That being said, I think there's a team out there that would be willing to give up a 2nd and a 4th for him at the TDL.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
He will get a minimum $7million. Islanders should move him at the deadline for a kings ransom.
7M for a run of the mill 2nd line winger? I know the cap is flirting with 80M... but isn't that still a little pricy?
I could see him accepting 5M if he's moving to a low tax state.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
There's no chance he wouldn't fetch at least a late 1st at the deadline so I'd assume that's the starting point.

It's irrelevant though because Lou should absolutely try to re-sign him.
Late 1st? I mean, maybe from a desperate team. He was traded for Ryan Strome not too long ago, someone who again I don’t really see getting a 1st. I don’t see Eberle having the value he did 4 years ago.

If Isles retain 50% he could get a 1st

crasherino

May 9, 2013
7M for a run of the mill 2nd line winger? I know the cap is flirting with 80M... but isn't that still a little pricy?
I could see him accepting 5M if he's moving to a low tax state.
My guess is that he will stay static at around $6m. He acquitted himself pretty well on Barzal's wing. I wouldn't be surprised if he took a team friendly-ish deal to stay with the Islanders. Maybe slightly under $6m for some term. Makes sense on both ends. He plays well with Barzal so why break them up?

d0wn70wn

Dec 26, 2017
He makes 6M now and doubtful he'd accept less. I could see him extending for a minimum of 6.5M. Term of 6 years sounds right if he's comfortable here. Extension kicks in for his age 29 season so it would be 29-34. For a guy with his consistent production that's a great deal. On the plus side for re-upping it looks like he's got first crack @ riding shotgun w/ Barzal so that's nice for him.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
My guess is that he will stay static at around $6m. He acquitted himself pretty well on Barzal's wing. I wouldn't be surprised if he took a team friendly-ish deal to stay with the Islanders. Maybe slightly under $6m for some term. Makes sense on both ends. He plays well with Barzal so why break them up?

Solid logic.
I'm really curious as to how high Barzal ceiling will be.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

I disagree, I would move Eberle no matter what. We need to maximize the asset and that's trading him for futures. Same goes for Lee. Losing PJ for nothing is a huge blow and we need to recoup something for these guys to move forward.

Barzal is a budding superstar, he doesn't need a babysitter anymore. The strength of the system is at wing with Bellows, Wahlstrom, and Ho-Sang so he should have talented wingers going forward. Beauvillier is no slouch either. Bailey is the veteran who can help bridge the gap.

Let Eberle pad his stats with Barzal and then ship him. A 1st+is fine with me.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
One Year left on his deal. What would/ could he fetch?
Lou says he is retooling, not rebuilding.

With the loss of Tavares pts, I would be surprised if the NYI are not trying to extend both Lee+Eberle. Gotta have some vets for the kids to lean on.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Soft as butter, has filthy hands and a nice wrister though. Can't one time the puck for ****, puck duster that needs time to get a hold on the puck before shooting. Good 2nd line winger that doesn't show up in the playoffs at all. He'll impress with his hands in the shootout and all his goals in garbage time but will be a complete non-factor when it matters. Strome for Eberle 1 for 1?

What are his playoff numbers? I know when he was drafted a big reason why even went in the first round was his big game performances in juniors. So I am surprised to hear this and I image he has not had that much opportunity to play in the playoffs.

ALee10

Oct 8, 2011
Good 2nd line winger that doesn't show up in the playoffs at all. He'll impress with his hands in the shootout and all his goals in garbage time but will be a complete non-factor when it matters.

That's what people said about TJ Oshie when the Caps acquired him and he is a stone cold stud. I think Eberle is a great player and he could do with being on a proper hockey team is all.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Keep him with Barzal to inflate his numbers and dump him at the deadline to a team who really wants a guy that disappears in the playoffs.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I disagree, I would move Eberle no matter what. We need to maximize the asset and that's trading him for futures. Same goes for Lee. Losing PJ for nothing is a huge blow and we need to recoup something for these guys to move forward.

Barzal is a budding superstar, he doesn't need a babysitter anymore. The strength of the system is at wing with Bellows, Wahlstrom, and Ho-Sang so he should have talented wingers going forward. Beauvillier is no slouch either. Bailey is the veteran who can help bridge the gap.

Let Eberle pad his stats with Barzal and then ship him. A 1st+is fine with me.
I would rather trade Bailey than either Lee or Eberle. The veteran is going to revert to 12 goals and 25 assists without Pajama Boy.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Eberle will easily return a first rd pick and prospect.
He's a scorer who maybe soft but isn't terrible defensively. Hes a smart player. Not afraid to hit but doesn't initiate contact. He's a very underated passer of the puck to. A team lacking offense but with a good Center could really use him.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Purely offensive wigers with less than a year left traditionally don't retuen a lot.

The Vanek trades over the last few years shows this. Same with Hudler (returned a 2nd and a 4th, a year after a 76 point season), or Gaborik (to LA).
Eberle and Vanek shouldn't be compared. Jordan is the better and more valuable player. They are both passengers but they don't have much of anything else in common.
Vanek is as soft as they come, doesn't play defense, and is a worse skater.
NYI actually traded a lot to acquire Vanek.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Eberle had a good season last yr. Should he do that again next yr. I could see him fetching a late 1st early 2nd round pick.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
That's what people said about TJ Oshie when the Caps acquired him and he is a stone cold stud. I think Eberle is a great player and he could do with being on a proper hockey team is all.
I think he's a great player, he didn't want to be im Edmonton and the fans wanted to see him gone. It was over for Eberle in Edmonton. He found a home on Barzal's rw. Keep him. You cant surround Barzy with AHL'ers gotta have at least a first line even if Lou is tanking which it looks like he is.

ALee10

Oct 8, 2011
I think he's a great player, he didn't want to be im Edmonton and the fans wanted to see him gone. It was over for Eberle in Edmonton. He found a home on Barzal's rw. Keep him. You cant surround Barzy with AHL'ers gotta have at least a first line even if Lou is tanking which it looks like he is.
All fair points. Keep him if they can but hes a tradable asset on a team relatively devoid of them. They should acquire what they can while Barzal is young so the team grows as he does.
OV played with Chris Clark and Boyd Gordon as his linemates early in his career.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Modern day ray whitney

Love this comparison... another "one dimensional" winger that Edmonton didn't have time for.

My only gripe with Eberle was his unwillingness to finish a check on the forecheck. I didn't have any issues with the rest of his play, just that he never grasped the "butterfly effect" of laying the body even if the puck will be gone the moment you make the hit. It puts that guy 2-3 seconds behind the play going up ice and he'll think a little more about his pass the next time. NONE of our Oilers did this back in the day and that was the difference between the Dougie Weight, Ryan Smyth and Todd Marchant Oilers and the Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and Nuge Oilers. .... Easy to play against.

Still all that talent... you gotta find a place for him on your team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad