Jordan Binnington Meltdown vs Sharks

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
You're stretching for credit on him. Jake Allen is one of 5 Blues goalies to ever win 100 games and he ended #2 behind Mike Liut, and I wouldn't go jumping through hoops to defend him as some fantastic goalie. He's an average goalie - one who thrives as a back-up but struggles with the #1 yoke on his shoulders - who routinely made boneheaded plays at inopportune times to crush his team's soul and who ultimately got replaced by someone who simply came in and made the saves he needed to and didn't force his teammates to constantly be looking over their shoulders wondering if they needed to play perfect hockey to save themselves from his random f***-ups. I don't care if he makes it to 300 wins in his career; barring some unexpected change in his play, facts are facts.

And the fact is, Steve Mason's 200+ career wins all came rooted out of his rookie season and the never-dying belief that he did it once, he can do it again which got re-reinforced by his '13-14 season. If it really makes you feel better, fine - I'll give him credit for what, 2 full hits? 2 1/2 absolute max? He's not a guy who you can cherry-pick his rookie year and '13-14 and then say yeah, he was still a 2.40 - 2.50 GAA kind of goalie for his career, had 30+ wins a few times, gave his team the kind of goaltending that carried them out of the first round a few times. He was a 2.80+ GAA guy who was sub-.500 for his career, who was a career 2-9, 3.27, .897 in the postseason which is greatly inflated by that '13-14 postseason, who would have been flounced from the league years prior if not for that rookie season.
You're moving the goalposts now. All I'm saying is Mason is not like the aforementioned Carey, Hammond and whoever. Hammond got to be Ottawa backup for one single solitary year after his freak run. Hasn't been a full-time NHL goalie at all since. Carey after winning a Vezina was traded from Washington less than a year later. After finishing out 96-97 as Boston starter, he got relegated to backup to Byron Dafoe for 97-98, and then out of the league completely. That's flaming out, not Mason who had an ok year after his great rookie year, followed by 2 bad ones, finally getting Columbus to acquire Bob to bench Mason. Mason comes here, finishes out the 12-13 season with a .944 as Bryz's backup, gets a contract, becomes the starter when Bryz gets bought out, keeps the job for 4 years which is an eternity for the Flyers. Has one more year in the league as Winnipeg backup for an even decade.

So was he a "fantastic" goalie? I never said he was. But he had a respectable career. Even locally, a lot of Flyers fans didn't appreciate him BECAUSE he was Steve Mason. Always afraid he would turn back into the sub-.900 goalie he was the last couple years in Columbus, and holding the Flyers lack of team success against him because Flyers fans can be a little stupid sometimes. Can't lump him in with those guys.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
As for Binnington, yeah it's a bad look and a unique circumstance of playing in an old arena where there's no room for the spare goalie on the bench, but it's not a big deal. I agree with those who said a beating from Dubnyk would have done him some good though. But no reason to use this to make any assessments on Binnington one way or the other.

Reactions: IceNeophyte

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Is he 12 years old? And, are the Blues fans in this thread 10 years old?

What happened to this guy? Just a one-hit wonder?

Oh look someone that knows nothing about the player or the team situation talking shit :rolleyes:

Amazing. That was hilarious. The Blues won the game, even more amazing. This looks like a YouTube prank video

There no way he doesn't get suspended.

Suspended for what exactly? Making someone flinch? is Karlsson going to report him for bullying like he tried to do with Hoffman?

That the part that bothers me, he knows he won't have to fight anyone for his actions... a total bitch move.

He's had plenty of fights and I would dare say he likes to fight.

Blues are struggling with injuries to Parayko, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Thomas and Barbashev and it’s nice to see Binnington show some emotion and fire up the team.

Forgot Bozak, Gunnarson, De La Rose and I'm sure there is someone I am forgetting.

In today's NHL they'd be getting parked games for that kind of stuff. It's a different era. Stuff that was common in the 70s and 80s, accepted as part of the game, is not acceptable today because we've [well, most people have] realized some of that stuff isn't part of the game.

What Binnington did Saturday night was dumb. He probably should get a pair of games for it because there's no place in the game for it and we shouldn't be encouraging goalies to go off the deep end like that when getting pulled. Obviously, it worked to motivate his teammates because they went on to win. This incident is way down my list of concerns on questionable acts by players this season. But, I'm sure this will be discussed endlessly until the next outrage somewhere around the league occurs.

People enjoy watching players with emotion. You can have all the skill in the world but at the end of the day if you're just a f***ing robot you're not even entertaining to watch. This type of stuff has a place in the game, it always has and it always should.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
As for Binnington, yeah it's a bad look and a unique circumstance of playing in an old arena where there's no room for the spare goalie on the bench, but it's not a big deal. I agree with those who said a beating from Dubnyk would have done him some good though. But no reason to use this to make any assessments on Binnington one way or the other.
He would KO Dubnyk...he was pissed.

Total Bender

Unregistered User
Apr 20, 2014
Stl

Jomboy, please cover more hockey stuff.

This is a hilarious and reasonable take from a guy that doesn't hate his life. Seems like Jomboy doesn't have any petty personal resentment for Binnington and was therefore able to enjoy it for the entertainment that it was.

Reactions: BrokenFace

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Binnington is no doubt a d***** bag but this was pretty entertaining. It’s nice to see some emotion in what is becoming an increasingly pedestrian league with each passing day.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Pretty sad from Binnington. You get pulled and then go after 3 different guys on the other team. Maybe play better, instead of pulling some ECHL crap.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Pretty sad from Binnington. You get pulled and then go after 3 different guys on the other team. Maybe play better, instead of pulling some ECHL crap.

His teammates said it was effective to fire them up.

Gotta love to see it.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
a frustrating past 12 months for the guy. Hasn't looked the same since he's won the cup.

Have you watched any hockey in the last 19 months outside of the bubble? He has a .910 save percentage. He’s currently holding a team above water almost by himself that’s missing 7 of their 12 best players. He went on his fake tirade and the Blues play immediately turned for the better. They admitted as much? Frustrating 12 months? Does this thread get less ridiculous after the first page?

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I’ve never liked Bennington and his d-bag ego since he won the cup. To be honest I don’t think he’ll be a starter for much longer.

I promise you he will be. I promise. I just hope he doesn’t ask for stupid money the Blues can’t give him.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
You just don't do stuff like that. No physical harm happened when Sean Avery was screening Brodeur yet it is something you just don't do.

Players shove each other, punch each other, and put each other in headlocks after plays in basically every game. If that's the angle you're sticking with, I want to see these criticisms applied to every scrum.

Reactions: Hrkac Circus

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Please explain how he doesn’t have great composure and is “unremarkable” in terms of consistency.

His record after losses during the 2019 run was insane.

He’s been performing at a consistent level for almost 2 years now.

Sure, he hasn’t been great every single game, but he isn’t streaky.

He’s an above average to good goalie who can start the majority of a team’s games with little to concern in the playoffs. And nothing to write home about? How many rookie goalies have won 16 games in a single postseason?

I have no idea what he has left to show that he’s not Andrew Hammond.

Need more emotion in the sport!!!

Wait nvm suspend this guy!!

I love how 75% of the posters in here are Jets/Stars/Sharks/Bruins fans.

I’m also alarmed at the astonishing amount of “hockey fans” on this site that apparently think he hasn’t been great since 2019. He sucked in the bubble. He’s been great everywhere else.

Reactions: TheGoldenGod

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Army said it right.

So many people want more emotion and eyes on the league but when a player shows emotion or does something that draws a ton of attention people freak out and cry.

Army liked it. Berube liked it. Teammates liked it. If Sharks fans get annoyed by it, even better.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Players shove each other, punch each other, and put each other in headlocks after plays in basically every game. If that's the angle you're sticking with, I want to see these criticisms applied to every scrum.

Scrums involving plays after whistles are fine, not when you are being pulled, as you are now done for the night. It would be like a player joining a scrum from the bench, or the backup goalie getting involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad