Jordan Binnington Meltdown vs Sharks

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
acting like a petulant child, starting shit he doesn't intend to do anything about

totally in character for him
He needed to go full razor on holtby if you want to make a statement,going to throw fake jabs is more embarrassing

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Binnington trolls teams and their fans, I'm honestly not sure how he manages it. You would think everyone could see this was calculated theatrics from him and just ignore it yet he still gets people frothing at the mouth and screaming at an uncaring sky.

Unfortunately it doesn't take much to trigger people nowadays. Mind games have always been a part of sports. The purpose of antics like this is get get into peoples' heads.

Looks like it worked!

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
You're just proving my point. A guy shoved two guys and made another one flinch. So what?

I wonder how today's society would react to some of the things Ron Hextall, Billy Smith and Patrick Roy used to do.

Probably not very well...

Having said that, at least those guys left their mark. If Hextall or Smith took a two minute penalty they earned it.

They weren’t fake jabbing guys and being defiant with their hands at their sides. They were throwing/swinging first and asking questions second.

I thought the whole thing reaked of classic smug Binnington. Maybe just maybe this time it will help him remember how to stop a puck and close the ole five hole.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Binnington is a bitch and this is well documented. I wish Dubnyk would of pummeled him.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You're just proving my point. A guy shoved two guys and made another one flinch. So what?

I wonder how today's society would react to some of the things Ron Hextall, Billy Smith and Patrick Roy used to do.
Lol it has nothing to do with ”society”, that’s just another spin. Most people love brawls. fights, legit stuff. A dude throwing a tantrum for no reason and pretend-fighting? It’s just not gonna fly. Comparing to Hextall? Get out of here. What’s next, a player smashing his stick against the boards and it’s ”a power move to get into opponents heads”?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
So you're going to ignore his .928 in 14-15 on a team that missed the playoffs? .918 in 15-16? His career was reborn and extended not because of his reputation, because his name was mud after those aforementioned final 3 years in Columbus. Again, likening him to Hammond, Carey or Blaine Lacher or whoever is just stupid. He's one of only 3 goalies in Flyers history to win 100 games.
You're stretching for credit on him. Jake Allen is one of 5 Blues goalies to ever win 100 games and he ended #2 behind Mike Liut, and I wouldn't go jumping through hoops to defend him as some fantastic goalie. He's an average goalie - one who thrives as a back-up but struggles with the #1 yoke on his shoulders - who routinely made boneheaded plays at inopportune times to crush his team's soul and who ultimately got replaced by someone who simply came in and made the saves he needed to and didn't force his teammates to constantly be looking over their shoulders wondering if they needed to play perfect hockey to save themselves from his random f***-ups. I don't care if he makes it to 300 wins in his career; barring some unexpected change in his play, facts are facts.

And the fact is, Steve Mason's 200+ career wins all came rooted out of his rookie season and the never-dying belief that he did it once, he can do it again which got re-reinforced by his '13-14 season. If it really makes you feel better, fine - I'll give him credit for what, 2 full hits? 2 1/2 absolute max? He's not a guy who you can cherry-pick his rookie year and '13-14 and then say yeah, he was still a 2.40 - 2.50 GAA kind of goalie for his career, had 30+ wins a few times, gave his team the kind of goaltending that carried them out of the first round a few times. He was a 2.80+ GAA guy who was sub-.500 for his career, who was a career 2-9, 3.27, .897 in the postseason which is greatly inflated by that '13-14 postseason, who would have been flounced from the league years prior if not for that rookie season.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Probably not very well...

Having said that, at least those guys left their mark. If Hextall or Smith took a two minute penalty they earned it.

They weren’t fake jabbing guys and being defiant with their hands at their sides. They were throwing/swinging first and asking questions second.
In today's NHL they'd be getting parked games for that kind of stuff. It's a different era. Stuff that was common in the 70s and 80s, accepted as part of the game, is not acceptable today because we've [well, most people have] realized some of that stuff isn't part of the game.

What Binnington did Saturday night was dumb. He probably should get a pair of games for it because there's no place in the game for it and we shouldn't be encouraging goalies to go off the deep end like that when getting pulled. Obviously, it worked to motivate his teammates because they went on to win. This incident is way down my list of concerns on questionable acts by players this season. But, I'm sure this will be discussed endlessly until the next outrage somewhere around the league occurs.

Reactions: Fedz

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
That's what's so funny to me, people talk about hfboards overreacting but Binnington threw a hissyfit because he was pulled from net. I'm having a hard time coming up with a time when a fake toughguy act was so adamantly defended.

Blaming posters here seems like it's focusing on the wrong immature tantrum.

Having the memory of a goldfish does that. I’ll just focus on goalies:

Rask
Lundqvist
Smith
Crawford
Lehner
Emery
Quick
Price

hell, I’m starting to think if he actually punched someone it would be viewed as normal on this site.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Having the memory of a goldfish does that. I’ll just focus on goalies:

Rask
Lundqvist
Smith
Crawford
Lehner
Emery
Quick
Price

hell, I’m starting to think if he actually punched someone it would be viewed as normal on this site.
Nah, not memory of a goldfish, just not having homer glasses.

Emery actually fought multiple times. And you've listed goalies who threw tantrums, did they pretend to high stick a guy in the face as they went off the ice?

And most of the players who pretended to be toughguys were rightly mocked for it. But somehow people are upset Binnington is being called out for his little tantrum?

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Binnington trolls teams and their fans, I'm honestly not sure how he manages it. You would think everyone could see this was calculated theatrics from him and just ignore it yet he still gets people frothing at the mouth and screaming at an uncaring sky.
Calculated master trollster, or crybaby shithead?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

Maybe you're missing the point that the Sharts chirping him is what sent him over the edge. Unfortunately for the Sharts, he was already out of the game when they got in his head.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Maybe you're missing the point that the Sharts chirping him is what sent him over the edge. Unfortunately for the Sharts, he was already out of the game when they got in his head.
nobody chirped him, that's something you're adding in. binnington just decided to mess with the sharks and it was hilarious. you can make it seem embarrassing or you could laugh about it like even dubnyk did cause it was clearly in jest.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
nobody chirped him, that's something you're adding in. binnington just decided to mess with the sharks and it was hilarious. you can make it seem embarrassing or you could laugh about it like even dubnyk did cause it was clearly in jest.

I am guessing by the way he curled back to their bench. You don't know any better than I do what was or wasn't said by the Sharts' bench.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I can understand why opposing fans don’t like him.

But I bet those same fans would think differently if he was on their team, similar to Marchand.
Tbh i’d be much happier with a goalie that helps the team while on ice, not one that helps the team by coming off the ice

Reactions: Patty Ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad