Confirmed with Link: Jordan Binnington 6 Year Extension

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Practice, that's your f***ing solution? lol It's been said time and time again practice does not and cannot simulate a real game. Goalies have to look at video and have every aspect of what they're doing critiqued. Peronally I think there is something physically bothering Binnington.

He's gotten consistently worse since winning the cup. Almost game by game he's gotten and is still getting worse. Playing him through is no longer an option. There's also more than enough video to look at.

Practice isn't about simulating games, it's about getting back on track and fixing problems. And there's currently a lot wrong with Binnington. A lot of work to do.

Again, I don't know if it's gonna work. In my view he just got figured out. But it helped other goalies before and at the very least Binnington needs help to build some confidence. Nothing left due to how Berube used him this season.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
He's gotten consistently worse since winning the cup. Almost game by game he's gotten and is still getting worse. Playing him through is no longer an option. There's also more than enough video to look at.

Practice isn't about simulating games, it's about getting back on track and fixing problems. And there's currently a lot wrong with Binnington. A lot of work to do.

Again, I don't know if it's gonna work. In my view he just got figured out. But it helped other goalies before and at the very least Binnington needs help to build some confidence. Nothing left due to how Berube used him this season.

Blues could always 'Matt Murray' him to the AHL...that appears to have gotten him right. But that may also give somebody a chance to claim a above-average, Cup-winning 1G for nothing....and I don't know that the Blues would risk that at this point. They'd better be happy with their system depth or what's available in free agency in that case.

oldwpgjet

Apr 11, 2021
In the salary cap era that it is these days, if Matt Murrayed to AHL, and if he was claimed and 6 mil taken off the books for somewhere else, I think that would be a win as well. There should be several free agent goalies with a lower price tag especially when Husso is showing signs of possibly being a competent #1.

oldwpgjet

Apr 11, 2021
I think Husso is UFA , not positive, so they might want to re-sign him before risk losing Binnington

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

To the bolded, what is wrong with Binnington? Aside from him not putting up good stats. What problems with his play can be fixed by practice? What drills should he be doing?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Blues could always 'Matt Murray' him to the AHL...that appears to have gotten him right. But that may also give somebody a chance to claim a above-average, Cup-winning 1G for nothing....and I don't know that the Blues would risk that at this point. They'd better be happy with their system depth or what's available in free agency in that case.

That would be a dumb idea. 0% of getting claimed and playing AHL is highly unlikely to solve Binnington. It may or may not work but you gotta give Binnington a chance to solve his game.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
To the bolded, what is wrong with Binnington? Aside from him not putting up good stats. What problems with his play can be fixed by practice? What drills should he be doing?

Did you watch the NJ game? That was only the ultimate breakdown. It has been going on for years. The actual question is what's not wrong with Binnington. His mobility maybe. He's a great athlete but not a great hockey goalie at NHL level.

He's mentally broken, his technique is poor and he's constantly overcommitting. He needs to reinvent himself almost from scratch. At this point, you know what you're gonna get if you put him into an NHL net. Which is all you need to know, really. It's about time for a reset.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Did you watch the NJ game? That was only the ultimate breakdown. It has been going on for years. The actual question is what's not wrong with Binnington. His mobility maybe.

He's mentally broken, his technique is poor and he's constantly overcommitting. He needs to reinvent himself almost from scratch. At this point, you know what you're gonna get if you put him into an NHL net. Which is all you need to know, really. It's about time for a reset.

I watch every game. My point was that you are sure practice is going to fix him but are unsure what is even wrong with him. "Mobility maybe". How is practice going to fix him if he is mentally broken? I'd assume you would need games to get your confidence back. So you don't want to play him but you also don't want to lose him to waivers. You have to shit or get off the pot. Either find a way to get rid of him or find a way for him to play his way out of the funk. The latter doesn't mean playing him like a starter. But you do have to play him sometimes.

I do agree with you that teams have the book on him now, which explains some of his prior drop in numbers. That doesn't explain where he is this year though.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I watch every game. My point was that you are sure practice is going to fix him but are unsure what is even wrong with him. "Mobility maybe". How is practice going to fix him if he is mentally broken? I'd assume you would need games to get your confidence back. So you don't want to play him but you also don't want to lose him to waivers. You have to shit or get off the pot. Either find a way to get rid of him or find a way for him to play his way out of the funk. The latter doesn't mean playing him like a starter. But you do have to play him sometimes.

I do agree with you that teams have the book on him now, which explains some of his prior drop in numbers. That doesn't explain where he is this year though.
He got off to solid start this year, but has been bad post-Covid. Not sure if he has residual sluggishness or confidence issues or mechanical or what, but the last couple months aren’t representative of the goalie he has been in post-Cup era.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

He has not progressively gotten worse since the cup. He was very good the year after. His life time sv% has always been round about 915 and going back to that the year after the cup was not "getting worse". It was the sample size being large enough for his average to stabalize. He however has not looked the same since getting covid.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
He has not progressively gotten worse since the cup. He was very good the year after. His life time sv% has always been round about 915 and going back to that the year after the cup was not "getting worse". It was the sample size being large enough for his average to stabalize. He however has not looked the same since getting covid.

He may have been good the year after the cup, but he was amazing the cup run. He has literally gotten worse every year in the NHL. Excellent -> Good --> Ok --> Oh shit this guy is signed 5 more years. His stats year by year:

18-19: 1.89, .927
19-20: 2.56, .912
20-21: 2.65, .910
21-22: 3.35, .898

That is a drop in both save percentage and GAA every year. Its not a straight line decline, but it should be concerning even if he can right this terrible funk.

I don't think his AHL, OHL numbers matter. Saying he is a .915 goalie because that's his AHl average isn't really relevant. He fluctuated greatly in the AHL.

Even if he gets back to a .910-12 guy, thats not great for $6M. It would out him outside the top 20 any of the past several years, and has him tied for 8th most expensive goalie. You expect more than .910 for that much cash.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
He may have been good the year after the cup, but he was amazing the cup run. He has literally gotten worse every year in the NHL. Excellent -> Good --> Ok --> Oh shit this guy is signed 5 more years. His stats year by year:

18-19: 1.89, .927
19-20: 2.56, .912
20-21: 2.65, .910

21-22: 3.35, .898

That is a drop in both save percentage and GAA every year. Its not a straight line decline, but it should be concerning even if he can right this terrible funk.

I don't think his AHL, OHL numbers matter. Saying he is a .915 goalie because that's his AHl average isn't really relevant. He fluctuated greatly in the AHL.

Even if he gets back to a .910-12 guy, thats not great for $6M. It would out him outside the top 20 any of the past several years, and has him tied for 8th most expensive goalie. You expect more than .910 for that much cash.

I think the bolded is what should be expected. Although I do agree, who wouldn't, that Binner has been bad this year. But i fully expect a rebound to somewhere close to the bolded stats over the next couple years. But with his age, and that level of bolded production, im fine with the 6M cap hit. He also has proven to be a winner in the playoffs, so im giving him a pass this season. I also still believe he'll end up north of .900 by the end of the season.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Losing him via waivers would be the best thing that could happen to Armstrong and I'm not against testing it. Having said that, I'm against sending him to the AHL and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't get claimed anyway.

I think just about everything is wrong with Binnington. Again, he's an athlete but not an NHL caliber goalie. His technique and this mental state both aren't anywhere near good enough. He needs time off not just for on ice drills but also for watching tape and working with sports psychologists and mental coaches. I don't care about his anger issues but his low confidence is a major concern. Every little bit seems to rattle his cage. Certainly goals against do. As a goalie you need to be able to focus and have a short memory. Binnington currently has none of it. He's panicking in net. I don't know if time off is gonna solve him but again, playing games is only gonna make it worse. I've posted that here way before the NJ game and even before the allstar break. Playing him at AHL level would be even worse in my view.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Losing him via waivers would be the best thing that could happen to Armstrong and I'm not against testing it. Having said that, I'm against sending him to the AHL and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't get claimed anyway.

I think just about everything is wrong with Binnington. Again, he's an athlete but not an NHL caliber goalie. His technique and this mental state both aren't anywhere near good enough. He needs time off not just for on ice drills but also for watching tape and working with sports psychologists and mental coaches. I don't care about his anger issues but his low confidence is a major concern. Every little bit seems to rattle his cage. Certainly goals against do. As a goalie you need to be able to focus and have a short memory. Binnington currently has none of it. He's panicking in net. I don't know if time off is gonna solve him but again, playing games is only gonna make it worse. I've posted that here way before the NJ game and even before the allstar break. Playing him at AHL level would be even worse in my view.

It's funny that people can see completely different things when looking at the same scenario. I still firmly believe this is a physical problem and nothing to do with mental issues. To me he looks exhausted most of the time in net, the same way ROR looked for like a month and a half after covid and still IMO looks like he has issues with sometimes.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It's funny that people can see completely different things when looking at the same scenario. I still firmly believe this is a physical problem and nothing to do with mental issues. To me he looks exhausted most of the time in net, the same way ROR looked for like a month and a half after covid and still IMO looks like he has issues with sometimes.

It's possible that's part of the problem but his issues go way beyond that. He developed bad habits. His positioning is far from ideal. He keeps on overcommitting and losing his net. It's far too easy to rattle his cage and I don't like his technique and rebound control either. But even if you're right and he's just not healthy, I think by now we can agree that he shouldn't play games now. Not at NHL level and even less so in the AHL. That has been tried for far too long and the situation only got worse. Give the man a break and play him again once he's ready for it.

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
Is it, though? Less than a year later it seems like a solid decision to me.
Definitely not a poor decision. I am not one who is saying Binnington is done for or we need to get rid of him now but I take Demko in a heartbeat given the choice.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Blues fans always need a player to pick on.

In the past it has been Allen, Krug, Sanford, and Faulk. Jordan’s numbers suck now and he’s having issues. So naturally he’s being run out of town like he has the plague.

Whatever. I’ll let DA and the coaches figure this one out. I hope Binny finds his way again, if not he will be traded and we bring the next guy up.
My friend and I always will pick on Ralph Klassen first

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
It's possible that's part of the problem but his issues go way beyond that. He developed bad habits. His positioning is far from ideal. He keeps on overcommitting and losing his net. It's far too easy to rattle his cage and I don't like his technique and rebound control either. But even if you're right and he's just not healthy, I think by now we can agree that he shouldn't play games now. Not at NHL level and even less so in the AHL. That has been tried for far too long and the situation only got worse. Give the man a break and play him again once he's ready for it.

By now you've made your opinion clear and some might agree and some might disagree. What more is there to say? For the record, I disagree but we are each allowed to think differently.

The Blues have a goaltending coach and a whole staff of career hockey minds, I'm sure they can figure out the best course of action for Binnington. I doubt there is anything we could suggest that they haven't considered at some point. If they think it's in his best interests to play tonight, then I trust their judgment.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
By now you've made your opinion clear and some might agree and some might disagree. What more is there to say? For the record, I disagree but we are each allowed to think differently.

The Blues have a goaltending coach and a whole staff of career hockey minds, I'm sure they can figure out the best course of action for Binnington. I doubt there is anything we could suggest that they haven't considered at some point. If they think it's in his best interests to play tonight, then I trust their judgment.

Yeah, why not stick with what hasn't worked before. Brilliant idea. It's not like I called weeks ago what would happen if they continue to play him. It's narrow minded and beyond dumb. Finally give the poor man a break and play him once he's ready for it.

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, why not stick with what hasn't worked before. Brilliant idea. It's not like I called weeks ago what would happen if they continue to play him. It's narrow minded and beyond dumb. Finally give the poor man a break and play him once he's ready for it.

So why don't you send the Blues coaching staff an email? Maybe they would hire you since you seem to have the whole situation figured out.

How many times are you gonna repeat the same thing? We get it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So why don't you send the Blues coaching staff an email? Maybe they would hire you since you seem to have the whole situation figured out.

How many times are you gonna repeat the same thing? We get it.

I don't even know if there's a way to solve Binnington. In my view he just got figured out. However, based on what we've seen we know what doesn't work and that's playing games. He's getting worse with every game. Trying to solve his issues is far more likely to work than to just continue to put him in net and watch him get lit up.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I don't even know if there's a way to solve Binnington.
you should focus on this. it'd be a complete departure from the dramatic narrative you've contributed here so far, but it'd be nice to see you switch gears and focus on what binnington can do instead of constantly pushing that he should just never play a game again to fix him.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

I don't even know if there's a way to solve Binnington. In my view he just got figured out. However, based on what we've seen we know what doesn't work and that's playing games. He's getting worse with every game. Trying to solve his issues is far more likely to work than to just continue to put him in net and watch him get lit up.
Binner has played 1 game in the last 4 weeks. His last start was 12 days ago. He went 16 days between starts before that. Husso has started 9 of our last 11 games. One of Binner's two starts was the 2nd half of a road back-to-back.

This idea that the Blues keep trotting him out there to try and let games fix him isn't remotely true. Moreover, your narrative that they were doing that in the past and it didn't work is also complete and total fiction.

When Binner got COVID his season-long SV% was a .912 through 16 starts at the end of November. There is no real world argument to be make that he was broken at this point and in need of rebuilding his game. He had slumped in November (.903 for the month) but nothing remotely out of the norm for a starting goalie. He returned in our last game before Christmas and allowed 4 goals on 34 shots. He then played our first game after Christmas and allowed 2 goals on 28 shots to bring his season SV% to .911 at the close of 2021.

Binner played the Winter Classic and this is the first possible moment you can plausibly point to in order to argue that he became broken and in need of major fixing. He allowed 4 goals on 33 shots, with 2 of them going in off our own player. I absolutely don't believe anyone should have looked at this game and concluded that he was in a free fall and in need of rebuilding his game. He started our next game against the Pens and allowed 5 on 41 shots. None of them were softies, but if you want to claim that he was broken here for your narrative be my guest. Husso played the next game and then Binner started the next against Dallas. He allowed 1 goal on 27 shots, which seems to be a data point against your idea that it never works to let him play his way out of shit if you felt that he needed to sit for a month in the start of January. At the conclusion of the Dallas game on 1/9/22 he had a .910 for the season. Your narrative that he's been bad all year is fantasy. The idea that the Blues at this point should have sat him out for a month to rebuild his game is pure and total nonsense.

That Dallas game was over 6 weeks ago and Binner has played just 3 games since. Husso got the next game after Dallas because he was playing too damn well to not split starts. Binner then looked really bad against Toronto in our next game, which led to Husso getting our next 3 games. Binner got the tail end of a B2B and looked bad again vs Calgary. That led to Husso getting the final 2 games before the all star break. Binner plays against the Devils, looks awful and then Husso gets the next 4 games. These 3 games in between long stretches of inactivity have cratered his season-long SV% from .910 to .898.

The Blues have done exactly what you claim they aren't doing. He has gone very long stretches between starts since giving away 2 points vs the Leafs on 1/15/22. He's played 2 games in 37 days since then. Your notion that they need to 'give him a break' and that they 'just continue to put him in net' is full blown fiction.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad