Confirmed with Link: Jordan Binnington 6 Year Extension

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I hate the contract, but that was a given the instant we signed him to his existing contract. Once he signed his existing contract, there was no realistic scenario where I was going to be happy with his play AND his next Blues contract. I hate that we boxed ourselves into that corner, but this is a completely fair AAV and term. This is the going rate for a quality UFA starter who is only 28. He has undoubtedly proven that he is a quality starter and his play this year has put him in the discussion of being a true top 10 guy.

6 years is too long of a contract for a goalie and I'll be very surprised if this contract doesn't hurt in the back half. But that hurts less than letting him walk and finding a new starter when we are in a window.

Edit: the tone of my post is more negative than I intended. I'm really happy that Binner is our guy for the forseeable future. I just don't like committing 6+ years to goalies in general, even though I get that it was the cost of doing business here.

Last edited:

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I hate the contract, but that was a given the instant we signed him to his existing contract. Once he signed his existing contract, there was no realistic scenario where I was going to be happy with his play AND his next Blues contract. I hate that we boxed ourselves into that corner, but this is a completely fair AAV and term. This is the going rate for a quality UFA starter who is only 28. He has undoubtedly proven that he is a quality starter and his play this year has put him in the discussion of being a true top 10 guy.

6 years is too long of a contract for a goalie and I'll be very surprised if this contract doesn't hurt in the back half. But that hurts less than letting him walk and finding a new starter when we are in a window.
My thoughts exactly. Yikes. I guess this is what it feels like to finally have a goalie worth signing, and it comes at the cost of $6M.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
2 years longer than I would have preferred, but probably about $250K-$500K less than I expected the AAV to be. I wonder if this getting done now means that Schwartz will be waiting until after the expansion draft. They may not be at all related, but I have to think that those negotiations have been going on since Schwartz changed agents.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada

Edit: the tone of my post is more negative than I intended. I'm really happy that Binner is our guy for the forseeable future. I just don't like committing 6+ years to goalies in general, even though I get that it was the cost of doing business here.

My thoughts as well. I love Binny but I hate giving long term contract to goalies in general

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
My thoughts exactly. Yikes. I guess this is what it feels like to finally have a goalie worth signing, and it comes at the cost of $6M.
I think $6M is a great AAV. 8 goalies currently have a higher cap hit than that. Paying him the AAV of a top 8-12 goalie is totally reasonable.

It's just the term that makes me uneasy. Here are the top 10 NHL goalies in 2014/15 (this current season would be the last season of a 6 year deal given to any of these guys during the 2014/15 season): Price, Dubnyk, Steve Mason, Talbot, Schneider, Crawford, Craig Anderson, Holtby, Rinne, Lundqvist.

I wouldn't want to be paying a single one of those guys $6M this year. None of them were remotely worth $6M last year either. Again, I'm happy that he's our guy for the next few years and this kind of term is the cost of entry on the UFA goalie market. But the odds of it hurting in the last 1-3 years are very, very high.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Like it.

He's either with us as Goalie #1 and transitions to #2 with Husso taking #1

Or

Husso isn't going to last and Binny runs it out as #1

Reactions: mk80

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
It looks like 6 years from now we are gonna be looking at the tail of quite a few bad looking contracts. I'm curious what the makeup of this team is going to look like. I'm happy for Binner though, he's earned this and I'm happy to have him here

Reactions: Blueston

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Like it.

He's either with us as Goalie #1 and transitions to #2 with Husso taking #1

Or

Husso isn't going to last and Binny runs it out as #1

Or Door #3: He’s still very good in 3-4 years but Hofer or Ellis steals the starter’s role anyway.
I think Door #3 is probably most likely. I'm interested to watch Hofer's AHL development after his impressive major junior resume

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I think Door #3 is probably most likely. I'm interested to watch Hofer's AHL development after his impressive major junior resume
The guys who've come through our system and become NHL goalies have needed at least 6 years to be NHL-ready, 5 of that in the minors. Bishop got drafted in 2005 and was 4 years in the AHL after 3 years at Maine before he was deemed NHL-ready, and he still needed a season split between Ottawa and Tampa before he really stamped himself as an NHL starter in 2013-14. Allen was 4 AHL seasons on top of 2 QMJHL seasons after being drafted, even after getting a trial run in his 3rd AHL season when Halak was hurt. He still couldn't win the 1-spot until we dealt Elliott 2 years after Allen claimed a full-time NHL spot. Husso has been 4 AHL seasons after 2 seasons in Finland, he's very clearly a back-up if not still needing prep to be truly NHL-ready.

Hofer has had 2 WHL seasons since being drafted, and he's on the taxi squad for us not playing. Ellis is on his 2nd QMJHL season after being drafted. Based on our track record, those guys are a solid 4 years away from being NHL-ready. Not "in the NHL, has some experience, is ready to claim the #1 gig." Just NHL-ready. Will Hofer be better prepared on the taxi squad? TBD, but I firmly believe at 20 nearing 21 actually logging some games somewhere might be better than "practicing" with the NHL team, and I'm not convinced we're any better at actually developing guys [read: capable of getting guys NHL-ready faster] now than we have been in the past.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Binnington a solid all-around goaltender who generally makes the saves he's suppose to make along with a handful a saves that he isn't expected to make. He also brings intangibles and the ability to rise in the playoffs. What more can you realistically ask for in your goaltender? If you look around the league, there aren't many goaltenders that give you that, which is why he's one of the best goaltenders (top 5) in the league. I'm satisfied with the contract.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad