Prospect Info: Jonny Tychonick (D) 48th Overall

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I like him already.

The connection with JBD is pretty damn cool too.

If this experiment all goes as planned (paired together off and on their whole lives, and going to UND together), it could be absolutely huge for us down the road as a second or third pairing.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
johnny-mnemonic-1.jpg

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Probably will turn out better than our second first.

I'd take him over Tkachuk tbh. Tychonic has higher potential and is just as well rounded. Obviously doesn't have the size and brand name though.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Are you saying there’s an issue with the trade away draft picks for players like Alex Burrows strategy we have right now??

What? Do you guys really believe the Sens are the only team to do that? Teams going in the playoffs actually do that a lot. The problem in that case is that Burrows only would come to Ottawa with a 2 years extension, which is when PD should have said « ok let’s explore another option »

The way it happened made Burrows more expensive that he should have been. I don’t think it would have been much of a problem if he was just a rental and we gave up a 3rd; but instead gave a recent 2nd

All that being said, it’s really not a strategy specific to Ottawa but also unfortunately used some picks to save money in trades. But despite all that, they still have a huge wealth of good prospects

It's weird how we suck at drafting in the 1st round but are good at the 2nd round and beyond.

Then why do you guys complain about not having a 1st next year? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
What? Do you guys really believe the Sens are the only team to do that? Teams going in the playoffs actually do that a lot. The problem in that case is that Burrows only would come to Ottawa with a 2 years extension, which is when PD should have said « ok let’s explore another option »

The way it happened made Burrows more expensive that he should have been. I don’t think it would have been much of a problem if he was just a rental and we gave up a 3rd; but instead gave a recent 2nd

All that being said, it’s really not a strategy specific to Ottawa but unfortunately used some picks to save money in trades. But despite all that, they still have a huge wealth of good prospects

Then why do you guys complain about not having a 1st next year? :sarcasm:

I don't think even Dorion and Melnyk could mess up picking Hughes. :P

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
You’re a nincompoop

It has more to do with Tychonik than it has to do with Brady.

Tychonic has extremely high upside. Had he played on a better team I think he would have drawn as much hype as Fabbro and maybe even Makar.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Anyone know anything about this kid?

2nd rounders usually get more attention than he has.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Reactions: GCK

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I was pretty high on him when we grabbed him, but I haven't heard a lot of good things since then. He seems to have decent offensive instincts, but it worries me that he can't earn his ice time at the NCAA level. JBD and Jonny were the only two drafted guys on that defence, although Matt Kiersted seems to have some possible NHL upside as well.

Would have been funny if he stayed and we drafted Sanderson (who is also committed to UND). With Pinto that would give us four good prospects playing together on a single NCAA team.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Letting him slowly cook and grow in the minors might be the only option we have for him. Doesn't seem like he'll jump in front of any LD prospects any time soon. Plus with covid ramifications, playing time for all our prospects in NCAA might be affected. He might be used in a trade package...hope not cuz his name sounds dope

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I was pretty high on him when we grabbed him, but I haven't heard a lot of good things since then. He seems to have decent offensive instincts, but it worries me that he can't earn his ice time at the NCAA level. JBD and Jonny were the only two drafted guys on that defence, although Matt Kiersted seems to have some possible NHL upside as well.

Would have been funny if he stayed and we drafted Sanderson (who is also committed to UND). With Pinto that would give us four good prospects playing together on a single NCAA team.
We could draft Sanderson and Kleven both UND commits

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He might be used in a trade package...hope not cuz his name sounds dope

I doubt there's much of an appetite to acquire him around the league. His stock has only plummeted, not that it was all that high in the first place.

Reactions: bert

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
The guy is a 20 year old defenseman who hasn't been given a decent chance at any level above Alberta Junior A. I'm not saying he's going to end up a star but it'll literally be 2-3 years before he can be written off.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I know some of the posts in this thread were made two years ago, but somebody actually thought Tychonick was a better pick than Brady Tkachuk?

Reactions: bert

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I know some of the posts in this thread were made two years ago, but somebody actually thought Tychonick was a better pick than Brady Tkachuk?

I doubt that will ever be the case but again, we're talking about a 20 year old defenseman who hasn't been given much opportunity. Tychonick looks a bit like a long shot but it is VERY early in the game and it's not like Brady has become some dominant beast getting 90 points per season out of the gate.

Chances are Tychonick never approaches Tkachuk's impact but he's a 20 year old D. Soooo much can happen with this player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad