Speculation: Joni Pittsburgh signing Pitkanen not?

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Read on a french website that Joni Pitkanen is looking to make a comback with an NHL team. JR knows Pitkanen really well since Pitkanen played for him in Carolina, so there's room for speculation here. Maybe we can get Pitkanen to sign a cheap one year deal. What do you guys think?

Here's the french website : http://www.toutsurlehockey.com/2774...-pitkanen-vise-un-retour-en-amerique-du-nord/

Here's the main link : http://www.iltasanomat.fi/jaakiekko/art-1444807889898.html

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Big, soft, injury prone defenseman on the wrong side of 30 and has been out of the NHL for 3 years. I don't think we're quite at that point yet.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I'd rather have injury prone Pitkanen than Scuderi to be honest.

Who shouldn't even be in the lineup anyway and wasn't tonight. Would be another good way to hold Pouliot back too. Just no.

The last thing we need is another defender that shouldn't be playing in the NHL anymore.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Why didn't he sign somewhere in the offseason? Or come to a camp on a tryout?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Read on a french website that Joni Pitkanen is looking to make a comback with an NHL team. JR knows Pitkanen really well since Pitkanen played for him in Carolina, so there's room for speculation here. Maybe we can get Pitkanen to sign a cheap one year deal. What do you guys think?

Here's the french website : http://www.toutsurlehockey.com/2774...-pitkanen-vise-un-retour-en-amerique-du-nord/

Here's the main link : http://www.iltasanomat.fi/jaakiekko/art-1444807889898.html

There were two 8 month stretches in his career where he was awesome. For some reason, they were like 5 years apart.

The time to find out about a guy like this would have been a month ago. Unless someone goes on IR for like 5 months, I don't think we're in a position to mess around with something like this.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
There were two 8 month stretches in his career where he was awesome. For some reason, they were like 5 years apart.

The time to find out about a guy like this would have been a month ago. Unless someone goes on IR for like 5 months, I don't think we're in a position to mess around with something like this.

Agreed. This is a camp invite scenario.

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
The name Pitkanen sounds familiar. Scouts were raving about him at the 2002 draft and he was supposed to be future franchise defenseman material. Either the scouts completely dropped the ball or he just didn't pan out the way he was supposed to.

But yeah, Im not sure about signing him, even if its only for a year.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Seriously? Is this where are now? Clamoring for Chara and Pitkanen?

Christ. No.

I know the team is struggling. I know its tough to be a fan. I know we have Scuderi and The Rev. But come on .. these guys aren't the answer.

If GMJR can make a shrewd move and rid of us the plagues that are Spumoni and Rev whilst bringing back something of value (obviously with us adding), then fine. But the key is value. Guys like Chara and Pitkanen are not value. They are past their prime and/or reclamation projects with very little upside.

So no. Just no.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The name Pitkanen sounds familiar. Scouts were raving about him at the 2002 draft and he was supposed to be future franchise defenseman material. Either the scouts completely dropped the ball or he just didn't pan out the way he was supposed to.

But yeah, Im not sure about signing him, even if its only for a year.

Injuries slowed him down but he was still a productive player for most of his career. He was a good defenseman. Franchise? no, but he was good.

I thought I read somewhere he was retiring? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00