Jones: Trade Lecavalier

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
I think it's pretty obvious he's playing hurt still. I don't think he's healed from that foot injury and it's affecting his overall game. He's definitely lost a step since then.

Bolts265

Nov 9, 2011
Zephyrhills, FL
I'm stepping out on a limb and predicting Vinny retires as a Tampa Bay Lightning. He ain't going anywhere. Enough already with the trade talk. :pb:

Off Center

Jun 9, 2009
The only thing I can see happening with this contract not counting toward the books is if he takes an amnesty buyout like Redden (isn't that what happened?) then signs something like a X year deal for <$1m per (not sure that is even legal with the new CBA). Either way, he's in Tampa Bay for a long long long long time.

i was thinking the same. can't think of anybody else who would be worth using the amnesty on, and we could basically release and re-sign to a more cap-friendly deal on the whole, maybe allowing Vinny to get similar dollars when you add up amnesty plus new deal. don't know the inticracies of the amnesty buyout structure, so not sure how practical this is, though

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
i was thinking the same. can't think of anybody else who would be worth using the amnesty on, and we could basically release and re-sign to a more cap-friendly deal on the whole, maybe allowing Vinny to get similar dollars when you add up amnesty plus new deal. don't know the inticracies of the amnesty buyout structure, so not sure how practical this is, though

Brought this idea up before, but IF I remember right somebody explained, that it woudn't be allowed

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Would be a dirty thing, but would anything speak against trading him AND a draft pick to any other team, then they buyout him for us and we can sign him? They reseve let's say a 6th for doing this thing and that it's doesn't look that awful they sent a UFA to us they wouldn't sign anyway.
ANd Vinnik would have to pay the money to the other teams owner.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Does everyone like the NHL contract system or NFL? If this was the NFL contracts aren't guaranteed and you can also restructure them.
Vinny would be perfect for a restructured deal.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I dont know if he is untouchable. He gets paid a **** load and yes hes a great guy for the community but what does he do on the ice to deserve all that money?? I love Vinny as much as the next guy but thats money that could be going elsewhere. Money that would help this team out big time. The guy is never healthy and when hes not healthy and playing is extra weight on the team they dont need. They need scoring and play making from Vinny. He may be hurt but we need that contribution.

Off Center

Jun 9, 2009
vinny, with his increasing physicality and alarming decline in explosiveness and scoring touch (since the first big shoulder injury), will probably be capable of being a top 3rd line center and very useful PK\PP player til the day he retires. unfortunately, until that day, he gets paid like he's steve stamkos potting 50 goals a year. i just don't think there's a team in the league that would choose to take on that combo of salary and ability.

what year does his cap number start to decline? the ugliest part of this deal is the fact that it was always taken as a given that the salary cap would continue to rise and make this deal less egregious. instead, it now seems it'll take time for the cap just to get back to this year's level

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
vinny, with his increasing physicality and alarming decline in explosiveness and scoring touch (since the first big shoulder injury), will probably be capable of being a top 3rd line center and very useful PK\PP player til the day he retires. unfortunately, until that day, he gets paid like he's steve stamkos potting 50 goals a year. i just don't think there's a team in the league that would choose to take on that combo of salary and ability.

what year does his cap number start to decline? the ugliest part of this deal is the fact that it was always taken as a given that the salary cap would continue to rise and make this deal less egregious. instead, it now seems it'll take time for the cap just to get back to this year's level

It won't go down, its the average amount of money per year that goes against the cap. His average salary will always be the same

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
7.7m for seven more years. Vinny will retire a Bolt, no team wants that contract.

Last edited:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Looking at the way Montreal played last night, not even they would take him. He would slow them down way too much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad