Jones: Trade Lecavalier

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/jones-its-time-for-a-lecavalier-trade/1277133

Steven Stamkos is untouchable. Marty St. Louis, 37, is too old. Ryan Malone is too injury-prone, and Teddy Purcell is too inconsistent to attract much interest. The Lightning doesn't have enough depth to deal one of its better defensemen. It could deal a fourth-liner or a second-tier defenseman, but what would that get it in return?

That pretty much leaves Lecavalier, who turns 33 in April and would have to waive a no-trade clause. The Lightning would love to shed his contract, which still has seven years remaining with an annual cap hit of $7.72 million. Frankly, that's also the reason he is difficult — and maybe even impossible — to trade.

Then again, if you're ever going to get someone to bite on Lecavalier during a season, it's this one. Practically every team is in the hunt and might believe Lecavalier will put it over the top. The guy can still play at a high level.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Ridiculous. The only thing I feel like I have heard more than "Vinny to Montreal" is the phrase that usually follows it "but this season, it actually makes sense."

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
It's been proven long before this but Tom Jones is an idiot. I'm not completely against trading Vinny but nothing is going to happen because he has a NMC.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
While Vinny's contract is terrible, trading him wouldnt help us at all either. Short term or long term. You cant replace what he means too this franchise, and this city. If he goes, you would loose a significant portion of the fanbase.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
As much as I would hate to see the Captain go, Cbus traded Nash and still have a franchise (for now) so anything is possible.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Really dumb if you ask me, while EE and DC write about Yzerman staying patient. I'm pretty surprised a writer out of Tampa would start the Trade Vinny to Montreal mumbo jumbo. I don't always see Jones with quotes in his articles, so I guess he doesn't go into the locker rooms at all.

Last edited:

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Really dumb if you ask me, while EE and DC write about Yzerman staying patient. I'm pretty surprised a writer out of Tampa would start the Trade Vinny to Montreal mumbo jumbo. I don't always see Jones with quotes in his articles, so I guess he doesn't go into the locker rooms at all.

Nope, he doesn't. He knows jack **** about hockey and has mentioned before that he's not a Lightning fan. This is just him throwing **** against the wall to see what might stick and generate hits/attention. He's a terrible writer.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009

Read this on BP but have never heard it myself, so take it for what it's worth.

Apparently Jones has never made any bones about not being a Lightning fan, in a column and that he is a Pittsburgh guy. He writes about the Lightning because he's sports editor for one of the local daily papers. He has too. He has to talk about them on his radio show (who the hell keeps giving these idiots air time?) because Bolts fans keep calling in asking questions. So yeah, he really doesn't give a ****, but he knows trade Vinny talk brings out the listeners, readers and hits for the website.

sonny side up

Dec 30, 2006
the dark room
www.flickr.com
The only thing I can see happening with this contract not counting toward the books is if he takes an amnesty buyout like Redden (isn't that what happened?) then signs something like a X year deal for <$1m per (not sure that is even legal with the new CBA). Either way, he's in Tampa Bay for a long long long long time.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
No one is crazy enough to take that contract.

The Amnesty buyout would help.

However, you wouldn't get much for him considering he'd be a free agent in July if you do plan on using the amnesty buyout.

As a Blues fan and HUGE Lecavalier fan, I want him on the Blues. However, we'd have to buy him out and then re-sign him for a really cheap deal for me to want to give up much value.

Although admittedly I'm not entirely sure how the buyout works. I know the cap hit is erased. How much of the remaining money do the players get?

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
I never thought I would say this, but maybe it is time to start a move in a different direction? or maybe its just the depression talking.:cry:

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
He's got to be hurt. I mean I've been ready to ditch the guy for three years. Then I changed my mind with the way he started off this season. Now bad Vinny is back. You don't just fall off like that without an injury.

I thought Lecavalier was one of our strongest players at the beginning of the year. He was quietly doing the right things and was putting up points. When the team fell apart, so did he. I don't think trading/buying him out is the right thing to do.

He is still an important part to the team.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I thought Lecavalier was one of our strongest players at the beginning of the year. He was quietly doing the right things and was putting up points. When the team fell apart, so did he. I don't think trading/buying him out is the right thing to do.

I find I agree with you a lot.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010

I think the team fell apart when he fell apart, if order matters.

Trading him would definitely end this season's chances. The team would fall even more apart without a 'captain'. But if there's going to be a team-wide change - it's not going to be from Boucher, Yzerman, Stamkos, St. Louis, Killorn, Palat, Desjardins - it's going to come from Lecavalier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad