Recalled/Assigned: Jonathon Blum (3/22: Recalled from Iowa)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Well what else were we gonna do? Can't call up Vellieux again...

As much as the fans rip on Veilleux, he actually does provide something to this team that we are lacking. Passion. If Koivu played with the passion Veilleux does night in and night out, he would be a dangerous player. Veilleux isn't going to put up a ton of goals but he'll give you his all and even more on the ice. That is what this team is lacking. A guy that is willing to throw it all out on the ice.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I like Veilleux on the fourth line. He's better than Heatley in that role and honestly looks better than Cooke has the last couple weeks.

Pairing Suter with Ballard would be an excellent way to give up about 10 goals a night.

Montana41

Dec 29, 2013
Saw Russo's tweet earlier this morning about him being brought back down to Iowa. Would really like to see him stay with the big club for a handful of games. He could be a nice piece to our puzzle if he regained his previous form... Nice guy to boot.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Fletcher and Yeo are really taking advantage of the closer location of our farm team. This constant yo-yoing cannot be helping either Minnesota or Iowa.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Fletcher and Yeo are really taking advantage of the closer location of our farm team. This constant yo-yoing cannot be helping either Minnesota or Iowa.

Who else would we call up? Spurgeon is injured, Blum called up. Koivu injured, Haula called up. Very hard to make a trade right now.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
I honestly didn't notice him once. And honestly? That speaks well to him, I expected to notice some gaffs.

It's a shame that we've got so many bottom pairing defensemen, it just means that at least one gets lost in the shuffle.

Also, does this mean that Spurgeon is healthy? Or are we assuming that Ballard is actually going to get played?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I honestly didn't notice him once. And honestly? That speaks well to him, I expected to notice some gaffs.

It's a shame that we've got so many bottom pairing defensemen, it just means that at least one gets lost in the shuffle.

Also, does this mean that Spurgeon is healthy? Or are we assuming that Ballard is actually going to get played?

Yes... And no.

I agree he's been invisible when it comes to mistakes, but I'd like to see him contribute something. Prosser has been more visible than Blum the past few games, and Nate's our undisputed #7/healthy scratch d-man.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I honestly think Blum > Ballard right now. Would be glad to see Blum stick with the Wild. I've liked him so far.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I like the physicality that Ballard brings... But I'm not sure it's worth his defensive errs.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I like the physicality that Ballard brings... But I'm not sure it's worth his defensive errs.

Yeah, Blum can't bring the physicality that Ballard brings, but Blum has been more defensively sound so far and he brings more offense as well.

That said, it's a pretty small sample size. We'll see what happens. Blum certainly has potential.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I honestly think Blum > Ballard right now. Would be glad to see Blum stick with the Wild. I've liked him so far.

I agree. I think Blum will be regular in the lineup beginning next season.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm guessing this move has more to do with cap space than on ice performance.

Ballard makes too many mistakes. Reminds me of Marshall on the Gophers.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
I'm guessing this move has more to do with cap space than on ice performance.

Ballard makes too many mistakes. Reminds me of Marshall on the Gophers.
Considering who is on IR it can't be cap space.
It has to be they just had an opportunity for him to play some hockey in Iowa as opposed to sitting on his butt. Russo is likely right, he comes right back to be on the road trip.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Ballard was brutal again last night, I've given up hope that he has any game left to be found. Get Blum back and sit Ballard for good.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Ballard was awesome earlier this season. He just needs to find his game again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad