Recalled/Assigned: Jonathon Blum (3/22: Recalled from Iowa)

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
One piece of news: Defenseman Clayton Stoner left tonight’s 3-2 loss to Detroit with about five or six minutes left. He limped down the runway. I didn’t see what happened, but Stoner’s been limping around the past three or four days, has had a part of his lower body wrapped with ice the past few days and probably aggravated it.

Either he didn’t make the trip to Detroit or is a question mark, but defenseman Jon Blum didn’t play the third period for Iowa tonight and is being called up (Remember, Keith Ballard is hurt). I think the plan was to call up Steve Kampfer, but he actually got injured in tonight’s Iowa game.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/251733871.html

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Agreed. I would rather have him play than Ballard, at this point. Ballard's timing and judgement seems all off, like the game is too fast for him.

Maybe Stoner hurt himself on that breakaway goal?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Agreed. I would rather have him play than Ballard, at this point. Ballard's timing and judgement seems all off, like the game is too fast for him.

Maybe Stoner hurt himself on that breakaway goal?

Which is sad because Ballard was playing decently before the concussion.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Which is sad because Ballard was playing decently before the concussion.

It's really sad... Remember when he was one of our best defensemen early in the season?

He has caught a lot of flack lately for his terrible play, but I feel bad for the guy. It's not like he's out there floating around; he's actually trying.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I'd like to see more of Blum. If he can keep up his relatively steady play, I think he could be a solid choice for the right side of the bottom pairing.

At this point, Ballard is really looking like the odd-man out on the blueline.

Plus he's a right handed shot... so there's that.

I know it doesn't matter all the time, but it just bugs me that when Stoner/Ballard is our bottom pairing, we only have 1 righty (Spurgeon) on the blueline.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
And neutral zone movement.

Only issue is that we still have Ballard to worry about. Can't really rotate Blum in for Stoner as he and Prosser are both righties. So Blum might replace Prosser, then rotate Stoner and Ballard (and ideally never, ever play Ballard).

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think as a change of pace, I'm going to credit Blum's good game last night to Yeo. I know it'll be confusing to everybody here, but what the hell.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Ballard should not see the ice again this season, IMO. There is zero reason to gamble so much defensively for a few hip checks and a couple of wristers to the net.

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
Blum looked awesome last night. Reminds me of a more mobile Prosser. Nice to see him jump up in the rush a couple times as well.

Loved his check in the neutral zone too in the 3rd. So refreshing to see a D man step up on a player on the blue line. Would love to see more of that.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I liked the D lineup across the board last night.

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Prosser
Scandella - Blum

With Brodin taking extra shifts on the right side on occasion as well.

I think Brodin's game was back to where it was when he was on the left side. Handled the puck and passed it with a lot more confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad