Value of: Jonathan Toews to NYR

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
This is the one time where I'll say I'd honestly rather have Marc Staal.

Toews isn’t exactly a scrub. I think He’s more skilled than Staal. I also think he would be a great role model for a lot of Rangers prospects too, who might end up playing a similar style (Howden, Lias Anderson).

I think the trade off in my proposal is that the rangers would take on a longer bigger contract, and the hawks would pick up two contracts that might be more manageable 2 years from now.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Wow, imagine being this clueless. Johnny's a Hall of Famer and would still be the Rangers best center by a pretty big margin. Those other 2 belong in the East coast league. Toews might be overpaid but he's a meme on these boards at this point.

Toews isn’t exactly a scrub. I think He’s more skilled than Staal. I also think he would be a great role model for a lot of Rangers prospects too, who might end up playing a similar style (Howden, Lias Anderson).

I think the trade off in my proposal is that the rangers would take on a longer bigger contract, and the hawks would pick up two contracts that might be more manageable 2 years from now.

1. RE: Highlighted - Irony is fun.

2. Where did I say any of this?

I want nothing to do with his contract. Staal's deal is done in 3 years as opposed to 5 and chances are with the new CBA there will be amnesty buyouts.

Has nothing to do with Toews the player, even though I do think he's always been a bit overrated. Obviously contracts aside, Toews is and always has been a better player than Staal, but you can't push contracts aside in sports. They can either be a great selling point or an anchor and in this case, Toews has one of the worst contracts in the league.

So again, keep that contract away from the Rangers. Thanks.

RalphyDanger

Nov 1, 2010
I want nothing to do with his contract. Staal's deal is done in 3 years as opposed to 5 and chances are with the new CBA there will be amnesty buyouts.

So again, keep that contract away from the Rangers. Thanks.

That’s fine. I just wouldn’t mind this trade as a Rangers fan. They have a lot of money tied up on D, and Toews is a captain, not a potential waiver or buy out candidate.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
That’s fine. I just wouldn’t mind this trade as a Rangers fan. They have a lot of money tied up on D, and Toews is a captain, not a potential waiver or buy out candidate.

I never said he was any of that. However, he's 30 going on 31, he has missed time in his career already and his style of play is conducive to further breakdown by the time his deal ends and then he's an albatross to the Rangers. He doesn't fit the Rangers direction at all.

Not only that, but he's been a 55-60 point forward in Chicago for the better part of this decade. His offensive numbers aren't going to get any better here with less depth surrounding him. So it's not like if he left Chicago for the Rangers he'd have a better chance of getting back to the 65-70 point player he once was.

Another point you're missing is that even if they trade for him and he's awful, then you're just using compliance buyout on him anyway, if there is one and if there's not, well his buyout would easily be the worst in the salary cap era.

All of this is moot anyway, as Chicago would never be stupid enough to deal him for Staal and Smith. Come on.

RalphyDanger

Nov 1, 2010
All of this is moot anyway, as Chicago would never be stupid enough to deal him for Staal and Smith. Come on.

I guess this is the only thing we agree on. I don’t know why you would start this conversation off by telling me that you wouldn’t trade Staal for Toews, if you were going to say this.

RalphyDanger

Nov 1, 2010
Did you not read anything I said?

I did. 55-60 points would put him pretty close to being one of the leading scorers on the rangers. If you wouldn’t trade Brandon smith ( a guy who got sent to the AHL last year), and Marc Staal (a guy that some people wanted bought out along side Girardi not to long ago), than that’s fine.

I wasn’t missing the point that they might have to buy out Toews. They may also have to buy out Staal or Smith.

I also didn’t mean to suggest that you called Toews a buy out candidate. I meant that the hawks would never trade Toews for two buy out candidates (Smith and Staal)

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Toews is probably literally the LEAST likely guy in the entire NHL to be traded.
tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad