Value of: Jonathan Toews to NYR

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Wow, imagine being this clueless. Johnny's a Hall of Famer and would still be the Rangers best center by a pretty big margin. Those other 2 belong in the East coast league. Toews might be overpaid but he's a meme on these boards at this point.

That's cool, but through-out all that you missed mentioning that Staal and Smith have 3 years left, and keeping Toews is pretty much an extra 10.5 million for 2 more years. Like it was pointed out, that's just bad for the Rangers to do.

Staal's salary goes down, and Smith does the same without much signing bonus attached to it. Toews has 4 years left, a buyout in 2 years is hardly any savings. Don't see the point with a regular buy-out on him.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I did. 55-60 points would put him pretty close to being one of the leading scorers on the rangers. If you wouldn’t trade Brandon smith ( a guy who got sent to the AHL last year), and Marc Staal (a guy that some people wanted bought out along side Girardi not to long ago), than that’s fine.

I wasn’t missing the point that they might have to buy out Toews. They may also have to buy out Staal or Smith.

I also didn’t mean to suggest that you called Toews a buy out candidate. I meant that the hawks would never trade Toews for two buy out candidates (Smith and Staal)

If you want an albatross contract, fine. All I have to say is thankfully it will never happen. At least Staal's contract is gone in 3 years.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Toews isn’t exactly a scrub. I think He’s more skilled than Staal. I also think he would be a great role model for a lot of Rangers prospects too, who might end up playing a similar style (Howden, Lias Anderson).

I think the trade off in my proposal is that the rangers would take on a longer bigger contract, and the hawks would pick up two contracts that might be more manageable 2 years from now.

He isn't a scrub, he is just overpaid by $4M. And this 4M can easily turn into 5M this coming season...

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Bad contracts don't bring anything back but other bad contracts. Toews still has a place in the league but that contract is not bringing anything back but Staal and Smith.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Not a chance in hell. Not even giving up Staal and Smith or any other contracts. Rangers are guaranteed out of that hell in 3 seasons if a trade or buyout doesn't come first.

I like Toews, don't think he's a scrub by any means and no doubt he'd be a great leader for a team of young guys. But 5 years of that cap hit for a guy that's a 55-65 pt player is way too much. I realize that almost every team will probably have at least one double digit cap hit player on their team in the near future, but that guy has to be a major difference maker on the scoresheet - PPG+- if NYR are going to pay that much in space.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
What would it take from New York in terms of value

Why would a rebuilding team like the Rangers move valuable assets for a player in his 30's who happens to have a massive ****ing contract for the next half decade........?

This is just about the most terrible idea. Ever.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Wow, imagine being this clueless. Johnny's a Hall of Famer and would still be the Rangers best center by a pretty big margin. Those other 2 belong in the East coast league. Toews might be overpaid but he's a meme on these boards at this point.

No son, you are the clueless one because you are not taking into consideration what the Rangers are doing, which is rebuilding with the kids, unlike in past times when they tried to buy enough FA's to win now.

And I'm an Islander fan . . .

It is NOT about fair value, it's about a trade proposal that goes nowhere because Toews is not a STRATEGIC fit for a franchise that is in full rebuild, started last season.

That's why the clueless one here is not the one you think. Toews would be far more valuable to a team like Arizona, which is basically done with the rebuild and now looking for the possibility of contending soon and Toews would be far more valuable there.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
No son, you are the clueless one because you are not taking into consideration what the Rangers are doing, which is rebuilding with the kids, unlike in past times when they tried to buy enough FA's to win now.

And I'm an Islander fan . . .

It is NOT about fair value, it's about a trade proposal that goes nowhere because Toews is not a STRATEGIC fit for a franchise that is in full rebuild, started last season.

That's why the clueless one here is not the one you think. Toews would be far more valuable to a team like Arizona, which is basically done with the rebuild and now looking for the possibility of contending soon and Toews would be far more valuable there.

Preach it brother!!! Toews makes no sense for the NYR. None.......absolutely none.
If they find that they need leadership, it can be had for much less term and salary.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Teams that absolutely want Toews: Blackhawks

Teams that absolutely don't want Toews: Rangers*

"Hey, what if the Blackhawks traded Toews to the Rangers?"

*not an exhaustive list

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
It's been about 7 months since the Rangers announced they were rebuilding, in the 8th month they trade for Toews because the rebuild is taking too long.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
wtf? am I misunderstanding this question? you think the guy should be out of the league?

No I just mean the minutes hes getting played hes not what he was at all most players of his talent drop off year by year he went from one year to straight trash

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
No I just mean the minutes hes getting played hes not what he was at all most players of his talent drop off year by year he went from one year to straight trash

Define "straight trash" for me, please.

Toews gets a lot of hate on HF. But he is still a 20 goal, 50-60 point, two way center. He is not trash.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Toews is far from straight trash. His play hasn't been what it used to be, but the only thing that has went from good to straight trash are his linemates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad