Player Discussion Jonathan Lekkerimaki

Status
Not open for further replies.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015

I wonder if the Canucks draft Dvorsky (big if). If they will prioritize getting him to play somewhere other than Allsvenskan after what happened with Lekkermaki and his coach preferring to play older players (most coaches at this level do) because the goal is to get promoted. Also, hope he plays away from Ostlund (seems like Buffalo might want him in AHL next year, as he is already practicing with the AHL team) and Ohgren (going to Farjestad).

Daniel Gee

Sep 2, 2019
twitter.com
Hey everyone, I went and watched all of Lekkerimaki's minutes from his playoffs -- he was impressive. Broke down the video in the piece below. Canucks fans should be pretty pumped with what they see -- just so much more engagement, execution, and skill blending going on here. The time off and recovery did him wonders.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006

I would prefer Farjestad, Vaxjo or Skelleftea instead of Leksands. I always believe developing in a winning environment will allow for better habits. would be nice to have a familiar face in Ohgren with him in Farjestad. Great news nonetheless, its too soon to move him to AHL, and there is nothing left to prove in Djurgarden for him.

Hey everyone, I went and watched all of Lekkerimaki's minutes from his playoffs -- he was impressive. Broke down the video in the piece below. Canucks fans should be pretty pumped with what they see -- just so much more engagement, execution, and skill blending going on here. The time off and recovery did him wonders.

Appreciate it!

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004

Appreciate your effort. He indeed seems to be a totally different player from the description I read about him earlier in the season. Such a relief to see him excel in the playoff. Even though I was never high on him from the moment he was drafted, I'd rather be wrong than seeing this team sinking further. I think he definitely need to improve his skating, but I think that can easily be done with improved strength.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I wonder if the Canucks draft Dvorsky (big if). If they will prioritize getting him to play somewhere other than Allsvenskan after what happened with Lekkermaki and his coach preferring to play older players (most coaches at this level do) because the goal is to get promoted. Also, hope he plays away from Ostlund (seems like Buffalo might want him in AHL next year, as he is already practicing with the AHL team) and Ohgren (going to Farjestad).

It was pretty much Lekkerimäkis fault.

He didnt want to be a part of the play for most of last season. Wether in the Allsvenskan or WJCs.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The best path for Lekkerimaki's development is to have him play a full season in Sweden's top league, the SHL.

And the only way for that to happen is if they sign him to his ELC and than loan him to an SHL team. I believe if that happens, his contract slides and doesn't count against the 50 contract limit for an NHL team.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
The best path for Lekkerimaki's development is to have him play a full season in Sweden's top league, the SHL.

And the only way for that to happen is if they sign him to his ELC and than loan him to an SHL team. I believe if that happens, his contract slides and doesn't count against the 50 contract limit for an NHL team.
Don't rain on my parade raining.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Felt like the last few pages have been about revisionist history and posters rather than the prospect.

Two things can be true at once. He had a disappointing season which isn’t great for development. He played great in the playoffs and is showing life again. Hug it out and move on.

As for SHL, I’m most interested in making sure he goes to a team where he isn’t stuck behind a dinosaur of a coach who overplays vets and sticks rookies on forth lines or the bench. Hopefully Leksand is that opportunity to play an important role.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Agree.

Its a good move.

Lets hope he can carry his playoff play in to his D+2.

Felt like the last few pages have been about revisionist history and posters rather than the prospect.

Two things can be true at once. He had a disappointing season which isn’t great for development. He played great in the playoffs and is showing life again. Hug it out and move on.

As for SHL, I’m most interested in making sure he goes to a team where he isn’t stuck behind a dinosaur of a coach who overplays vets and sticks rookies on forth lines or the bench. Hopefully Leksand is that opportunity to play an important role.
I would not worry that much about this.

He will get a TON of practice time in the 2nd best league in the world.

Obviously would be better if he also got solid deployment, but for his development I think the high quality and quantity practice time is more important. He has to build his physical attributes (back) up more than anything.

This could be an out there opinion.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Agree.

Its a good move.

Lets hope he can carry his playoff play in to his D+2.

I would not worry that much about this.

He will get a TON of practice time in the 2nd best league in the world.

Obviously would be better if he also got solid deployment, but for his development I think the high quality and quantity practice time is more important. He has to build his physical attributes (back) up more than anything.

This could be an out there opinion.
Its pretty much accepted fact that the KHL is the 2nd, even with the shit show that is Russia these days.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I was one of the people unhappy about the Hronek trade. Not because of wanting a "totally unrealistic burn it all rebuild", but because we are in insane cap problems already, and whether or not the trade value was fair (I maintain we overpaid big time, like Benning level) but because his contract is for one more year, and we can't afford him this year, and then he is going to want to get paid.

Sorry to all for derailing this thread. And I was one of many that did not write off Lekkerimaki, like many I was "sadly he has had a bad year, but lets wait and see how next year goes" group.
This is the problem most of us had, for some reason the blind faith sheep can't understand this. I don't get it.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Is there any benefit to signing Lekkerimaki now and keeping him over in Sweden? I suppose if they sign him now they can control his development path?

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
You can see from the highlight videos that Letterkenny continues to display all the "non-negotiables" of a big physical winger who will dig in the corners and win puck battles along the boards and is destined to become one of Tocchet's favourite meat and potatoes grinders.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
You can see from the highlight videos that Letterkenny continues to display all the "non-negotiables" of a big physical winger who will dig in the corners and win puck battles along the boards and is destined to become one of Tocchet's favourite meat and potatoes grinders.
Like Tocchet is still going to be the coach by the time Lekk shows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad