Jonathan Huberdeau is only 10 points away from leading the NHL in points

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
He was actually farther back at the the quarter pole pole. So your projected end of season ......he could be closer rather than farther.

the hot streak in any given year occurs at any given point. so we will say huberdeau enjoyed his in the second quarter this year

and maybe in one of the second half quarters last year...

and we will say hes a very very good player because he had a hot streak last year in the second half... and this year in the second quarter.

if he did finish within 10 points of the scoring title some year at the end of the season we will all say wow, we didnt know he could do that. maybe he might do it again... wow

I think a guy like blake wheeler has probably finished around 10 points back of a scoring title before... im sure that impressed us too. and hes probably been within 10 points of the scoring title at the halfway mark. its impressive.

I remember when I became a fan many many years ago... rick middleton was the big scorer in boston. and id used to argue he could beat bossy or lafleur in scoring because he would be close to them at Christmas.

and by the end of the year... middleton could have 100-105 points... maybe a few more. he was very very very good... underrated...

but he was never going to outscore bossy and lafleur if those 2 were having a good year. and then along came gretzly.

im not going to say huberdeau sucks. he clearly doesnt suck. but being 10 points out of the scoring race at the 1/2 way mark isnt really news worthy or thread worthy. theres been a lot of good {not great} guys in nhl history that can stay close to a scoring lead if they have a hot streak early in the year.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Does this mean this forum will stop peddling the BS line that Barkov has little to no support

Hubie is awesome, he's always impressed, and to nearly no fanfare his entire career. More productive in recent years obviously, but he's always given me that David Legwand vibe, the high draft pick who just low-key gets it done with little criticism or exultation.

Does anyone really say that? Panthers fans just complain that our most dangerous weapon outside the top line is Noel "Double Hat Trick" Acciari ;)

I like the Legwand comparison for the early part of his and Barky's career, but I hope that we realize that he is an elite player ;) To tout my own team, Tallon made two not obvious picks in Huby and Barky and made it work. (I remember how angry I was when we didn't take Jones for Barky...)

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If he climbs to 2 or 3 and gets the Panthers in the playoffs.....

Hart consideration?

Absolutely.

To be a legit threat to win, though, he'll also need (1) McDavid to miss the playoffs and (2) to build enough of a gap on Barkov to differentiate himself from his linemate. Because of Rantanen's injury, MacKinnon will end up leading his team in points by 20 or so. That will be tough to overcome.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I was prepared to be amazed until I realized I was confusing Huberdeau with Toews.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I assume he simply gets looked over because he plays for Florida but he is an elite talent who is living up to his draft status. Let us not pretend that he came out of nowhere, he was a 3rd overall pick in 2011 and has had the pretty standard career curve of most elite players.

Reactions: AvsGuy

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Do we have another Kucherov type of streak in our hands, which leads to similar point total????
not yet i suppose, but i think Jonathan is only getting started.
In his last 12 games (from December on) Huberdeau has 7 goals and 17 assists, 24 points

I think Jonathan Huberdeau is one of the least talked superstars in the NHL
and thus, underrated, greatly.

Great, but nice and slow progress each season in the NHL, last season scored over 90 points,
yet i didn't see much talk last season either, i think he needs way more talk here in HF
what he is getting.

This season has shown that he is more than just Sasha Barkov's "wingman"
- he can drive his own line

- What the HF think about Jonathan Huberdeau -

-----------------

1. McDavid 63 points
2. Draisaitl 61 points
3. Pastrnak 58 points
4. Marchand 58 points
5. MacKinnon 56 points
6. Huberdeau 53 points
I know like... 10 isnt a big number.

But a 10-point difference in NHL scoring is f***ing huge. Like a gulf wide enough -- especially if you had Draisaitl to the mix -- to overcome and is a huge difference when #1 is Connor McDavid. Only happens if an injury takes someone out imo.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I can get behind a gradual-improvement-to-star-status story, but really, the headline with Jonathan Huberdeau is basically:

3rd overall pick puts up numbers synonymous with a 3rd overall pick

He's underrated, ok sure, but his success shouldn't be a surprise at this point

The real story here is his $5.9 contract

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
I can get behind a gradual-improvement-to-star-status story, but really, the headline with Jonathan Huberdeau is basically:

3rd overall pick puts up numbers synonymous with a 3rd overall pick

He's underrated, ok sure, but his success shouldn't be a surprise at this point

The real story here is his $5.9 contract
The real story is he’s the most improved player in the league.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Does anyone really say that? Panthers fans just complain that our most dangerous weapon outside the top line is Noel "Double Hat Trick" Acciari ;)

I like the Legwand comparison for the early part of his and Barky's career, but I hope that we realize that he is an elite player ;) To tout my own team, Tallon made two not obvious picks in Huby and Barky and made it work. (I remember how angry I was when we didn't take Jones for Barky...)

Side note, but what's happened to Trocheck?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
He's approaching top 5 winger in the world status for me. Insanely talented and creates an unbelievable amount of chances.

He creates SO much with his playmaking. He's the definition of a line driver, it's just a bonus that he plays with another driver in Barkov and a great player in Dadonov.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Probably gets there if Barkov can keep it up. Florida is a silent killer.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
Is this suppose to be impressive lol? 10 points is a lot. I feel like if you wanted to pump his tires there’d be a lot better ways to do it lol.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Side note, but what's happened to Trocheck?

At the start of the 18-19 season, he broke his right ankle and lost a step or two. This wouldn't be the worst problem but his game relied on speed and slick moves, which he can't do anymore. Since then, the Trocheck special has been trying to split 2 or 3 players and failing after one ;) On an unrelated side, we gave up Smith and we have struggled to find a good linemate for him that can handle with his...more selfish play.

Hopefully he'll adjust, but I'm not too hopeful :(

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
After reading this, I had to take a look how he did last season during his 92 point year. He looked pretty consistent and then around the 58 game mark, he started going off scoring. Finished last year with 39 points in his final 24 games (17 goals 22 assists 1.63 ppg).

Combine that with what TC has brought to the table this morning (53 points in 38 games 1.40 ppg) and his stat line over his last 62 games played is for 33 goals 59 assists for 92 points, 1.48 ppg.

Not the largest sample size ever, but it has to be encouraging for Florida fans to see what is turning out to be more than what seems to be just a hot streak during the season (to outsiders).

I’m a lot less skeptical than I when I opened the thread.

Yeah Panthers fans have known for quite some time that he's a special player. He'll never lead the league in scoring, but he's on pace for over 100 pts. this season, and that should be his peak for a few years. Huby and Barky owe everything to Jagr though, whatever greatness he had definitely rubbed off on them, they turned into premier players after he arrived and that trio became a line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad