Jonathan Ericsson's new contract

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Today, the Canadiens resigned Defenceman Alexei Emelin to a 4 year, 16.4 million dollar contract. Just wondering what people think the Ericsson contract will look like. The Emelin deal is somewhat of a measuring stick, however Ericsson is obviously a bit more valuable to our team than Emelin is to theirs. Offensively speaking, these guys are similar, but offense is neither of their specialties. They are both known for their defensive play.

Last season:
Emelin had 12 pts in 38 GP, while Ericsson had 13 in 45 GP. Similar numbers. Defensively however, Ericsson is more valuable. While +/- can be a misleading stat, one that proves Ericsson is more relied on defensively is his 21:19 minutes per game, compared to Emelin's 19:40. Neither guy got significant powerplay time, but Ericsson again was used more in shorthanded situations, (3:08/game compared to Emelin's 2:11).

Ericsson has really taken strides in the past couple seasons, so there is no reason to believe the Wings won't bring him back, but now the question becomes how much is he worth. Based on the Emelin signing, there is no reason to believe that Ericsson is worth any less than about 5 million per year.

I'll take a stab at it, and guess he'll get a 5 year, 25 million dollar contract. Is this too high/low??

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
I would be hesitant to pay him more than Kronwall. We don't have much leverage though because he can get more elsewhere. Hopefully he wants to stay here.

If he wants more than 5, I'd say forget it and throw as much money as possible at Girardi.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
That's 4.1 a year. That is more than reasonable for a guy like E. If that's all he wants we better sign it before he changes his mind.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I think the Wings will offer Ericsson somewhere between 4-4.5M a year. Roughly a 1M raise from what he makes now. Probably will get it done before he hits free agency.

crashman

I think somewhere between what Smid got & what Emelin got would be fair value, maybe even up to 4.5M if it's a shorter term deal.

I think this is a good guess. Ericsson has been good the last couple years, but he's still a stay at home defenseman.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
i agree.

would prefer to keep it around 4 mil but considering what he got last time and how kenny isn't really best at negotiating with ufa's, i guess it will be closer to 4.5 mil

if he wants 5 mil, trade his ass off.

I would agree. I said $4.5 for 4yrs but anything longer or higher would make me say goodbye

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Scary to think Emelin got that.

Ericsson is going to get paid by someone. I expect we have to throw at least 4.75M per at him.

Yeah, the Emelin deal seemed high to me, too. Maybe he'll just be a high line on contracts for that type of player, but I would think Ericsson has to be looking at a pay day for his next deal.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
$4.25 for 4 or 5 years sounds about right, and seems very fair for both sides. He could likely get $5 or $5.25 a year on the open market.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
5 years, $4.75MM per. Same as Kronwall makes, but shorter deal, higher cap, and expires the year he turns 35.

Book it.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'd say he is around 4.25 million 3-4 years. Sucks that emelin got resigned. He was my vote for a cheaper defensive upgrade compared to giradi this year in fa (replacing quincey). Thought you couldn't resign when on ltir? He is still out till december due to his knee surgery last year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I was hoping for around 4.1 per year because of Hjalmarsson. Think 4 years makes sense so his last contract isn't a 35+ deal, he should probably want that as well unless he wants a deal that basically takes him to retirement.

Ericsson didn't really cut us a break last time so I don't expect him to this time, probably looking for around 4.5 million, hopefully we can talk him down a touch. Also hope some of this is going on right now, first thing I thought of when he went down to injury was this would be a good time to fly his agent in and have a nice sit down to really get a feel for what each side is thinking and open up negotiations.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think Ericsson will be too tempted to test the market. They didn't exactly lowball him the last negotiations and he can play with Kronwall for years to come. I see him getting less than Kronwall, albeit maybe only a few hundred thousands.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
My real question and I know he is already 25 games in and with RFA control, is what do we do with DeKeyser? Is it wise to give him 5 for 15, I think he could be an absolute steal by the end of it. Think Danny is getting a deal like Filppula and Kronwall. At this point he is earning it, that will be the interesting negotiation.

Ericsson almost went to the market last time, I don't see him cutting us a lot of breaks, but locking up these two is important.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I also think E was in a bit of a different mindset last time though too. He had been buried in the minors for a bunch of time, was in everyone's dog house, and wasn't getting consistent playing time. I think it was either pay me good money or I'm going to go someplace where I'm a bigger part of the team. Whereas now he is pretty well entrenched in Detroit and on their defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad