Jonathan Ericsson's new contract

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
I think people are disregarding how much the cap is probably going up next season.

I sticking with 5 years, $4.75 million.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Remember when everyone was suicidal over his current deal?

Thankfully he earned the contract, and more, by elevating his game as Kronwalled write. Nice to see that instead of the other way around like with some others...

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Remember when everyone was suicidal over his current deal?

Happened a couple times for me. I remember Filppula's deal had me scared. Overpay to start and likely end up underpaying in the final year or two. I think it is a pretty normal reaction (not being suicidal obviously, just being concerned/ upset.)

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
Wow, these 5 year for 25 mil. predictions are laughable. Look at Ericsson's "comparibles" in the league and you'll start to realize that defensive defenseman will not get more that 4.5 million a year. Look at Scuderi's past deals, all under 4 million. Brad Stuart never got paid that much. Hjalmarsson's new deal is for 4.1, and Emelin got 4.1. Vlasic is locked up to 4.2 mil deal.

Now I would take a lot of those guys over Big E, but the point is that defensive defensemans value is pretty low when it comes to paychecks. Even if you play great defense it seems if your only chipping in 10-15 points every year the value seems to be at around 4 million, give or take a few hundred k. So I hope Ericsson doesn't get paid more that those guys cause IMO I don't think he is better than the players I mentioned above.

Last edited:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Wow, these 5 year for 25 mil. predictions are laughable. Look at Ericsson's "comparibles" in the league and you'll start to realize that defensive defenseman will not get more that 4.5 million a year. Look at Scuderi's past deals, all under 4 million. Brad Stuart never got paid that much. Hjalmarsson's new deal is for 4.1, and Emelin got 4.1. Vlasic is locked up to 4.2 mil deal.

Now I would take a lot of those guys over Big E, but the point is that defensive defensemans value is pretty low when it comes to paychecks. Even if you play great defense it seems if your only chipping in 10-15 points every year the value seems to be at around 4 million, give or take a few million. So I hope Ericsson doesn't get paid more that those guys cause IMO I don't think he is better than the players I mentioned above.

I think all posts fall within a couple hundred k of your prediction, most people are saying ~$4.5M give or take a hundred k or two, hardly laughable IMO.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
Thankfully he earned the contract, and more, by elevating his game as Kronwalled write. Nice to see that instead of the other way around like with some others...

he was this good before he started playing with kronwall. was great on the third pairing in the first year of his new contract and earned a promotion to play alongside lidstrom at the end of that year.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

Now I would take a lot of those guys over Big E, but the point is that defensive defensemans value is pretty low when it comes to paychecks. Even if you play great defense it seems if your only chipping in 10-15 points every year the value seems to be at around 4 million, give or take a few million. So I hope Ericsson doesn't get paid more that those guys cause IMO I don't think he is better than the players I mentioned above.

This.

Very good comparisons to SOLID d-men.

Ericsson if anything is less than them.

I like 3.75 Mil per year. I know Ericsson will have leverage considering we NEED him, so his overpayment should be 4.0-4.3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad