Will Drouin be traded this summer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It took how many year before he trade Galchenyuk ? With the price he paid for Drouin he will be patient with him.

MB also made a big investment in Alzner and he was demoted in year 2 of his deal. Let’s not forget how Julien reduced Drouin’s role and TOI in the critical last 4-6 weeks of the season. Last time that happened, the underperforming player was shipped out.

Reactions: groovejuice

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
MB also made a big investment in Alzner and he was demoted in year 2 of his deal. Let’s not forget how Julien reduced Drouin’s role and TOI in the critical last 4-6 weeks of the season. Last time that happened, the underperforming player was shipped out.

Alzner was a FA he wasn’t traded vs a 9th pick oa and he’s not a 23 years old. 2 completely different situation

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It took how many year before he trade Galchenyuk ? With the price he paid for Drouin he will be patient with him.

Galchenyuk was younger. Drouin’s the same age now that he was when he got traded. Younger do and should have more leash. But I agree, trading Drouin likely hasn’t even come across Bergevin’s mind yet unless some team has called looking to overpay which is very unlikely given his time here.

Reactions: Vachon23

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Alzner was a FA he wasn’t traded vs a 9th pick oa and he’s not a 23 years old. 2 completely different situation

True but Alzner was a significant investment for MB and he wasn’t afraid to demote him so soon into his contract. Don’t forget Alzner was brought in after MB lost Markov, so he was an important addition.

Point is not to compare Alzner on his age or position but to show how MB was not afraid to eat crow on his boneheaded decision to commit to the player. Same can happen with Drouin.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
True but Alzner was a significant investment for MB and he wasn’t afraid to demote him so soon into his contract. Don’t forget Alzner was brought in after MB lost Markov, so he was an important addition.

Point is not to compare Alzner on his age or position but to show how MB was not afraid to eat crow on his boneheaded decision to commit to the player. Same can happen with Drouin.

I don’t think Bergevin had a choice with Alzner. Julien likely told him I can’t play this guy because he’s not an NHL player so he was screwed. Drouin put up 50+ points so it’s a little more complicated. If he goes somewhere else and produces, he risks looking even worse. I doubt he’s going to be willing to eat crow on him until he absolutely has no other choice. The fans will boo him out of the building next season if he doesn’t wake up.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Alzner was here to replace Emelin but that’s an other debate.

That’s nothing to do with MB, Any GM who make that kind of commitment on a player (Big trade + big contract) will keep him more then 2 years

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don’t think Bergevin had a choice with Alzner. Julien likely told him I can’t play this guy because he’s not an NHL player so he was screwed. Drouin put up 50+ points so it’s a little more complicated. If he goes somewhere else and produces, he risks looking even worse. I doubt he’s going to be willing to eat crow on him until he absolutely has no other choice. The fans will boo him out of the building next season if he doesn’t wake up.

Of course, Drouin has to be traded for value. Point is, MB wasn’t afraid to lose face so soon on a player he invested in. I don’t think he would have done that in the first 5 years of his tenure. I sense a change that way. We’ll see.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I would love to see Drouin traded but I doubt that it happens, I honestly don't think that there would be much interest in his services unless of course it is a situation where we add something or take on a bad contract to help us get rid of him.

Try with the Avs on a Mack reunion strategy or with any team that is offensively challenged and who doesn’t mind his one dimensional game.

If anything can happen in the playoffs, then it can also happen on the trade front.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Of course, Drouin has to be traded for value. Point is, MB wasn’t afraid to lose face so soon on a player he invested in. I don’t think he would have done that in the first 5 years of his tenure. I sense a change that way. We’ll see.

Me too. I'm glad MB put the team above his image and burried Alzner. JD is not a MB type player. He'll be given some more time, but not forever.

Reactions: Runner77

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I would love to see Drouin traded but I doubt that it happens, I honestly don't think that there would be much interest in his services unless of course it is a situation where we add something or take on a bad contract to help us get rid of him.
I think there would be interest but everyone is looking for a bargain.

I think a change of scenery would be best for both sides but not gift wrapping him somewhere. I like the Galchenyuk comparison, the Habs have to get something significant in return or ride it out.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
@ahmedou has done that to me as well. I tried to make a clever title and OP when I created a thread and he just came in and hi jacked it.
I had a long discussion about it.
It's some circumstances of mischance and misunderstanding. When I'm creating a thread. After, there's others who opening one without looking before. Is they doing this stuff with a cellphone? I'm and we're not doing it by purpose. Let's move on.

He's not a Bergevin type of player. MB will work with him to try to turn things around. But if the right deal came along, MB would move him. But I doubt any team even offers fair value for a former #3 overall who still has a certain ceiling.

Me too. I'm glad MB put the team above his image and burried Alzner. JD is not a MB type player. He'll be given some more time, but not forever.
Drouin was a Bergevin type when he signed.

Nothing is more important than to keep his job in Montreal. If Drouin is a danger for his security. Then he'll not thinking twice. To get rid of this danger.

The perfect time and the best return on a trade is two dependant variables. On trading Drouin early, MB will admit his mistake. That's not his typical vibes.

As a fan, what we can do... Praying that he stands up from his coma? Cheering in his side? Being optimist for the sakes of being optimistic? Forgiving him? Forgetting what he've done in the two full season? And and...

I think there would be interest but everyone is looking for a bargain.

I think a change of scenery would be best for both sides but not gift wrapping him somewhere. I like the Galchenyuk comparison, the Habs have to get something significant in return or ride it out.
It's easy to hope he's gone. That being said, there's some uncontrollable things. The fans apologists. The powerful apologists on the management. The local media. The ectera...

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
It's easy to hope he's gone. That being said, there's some uncontrollable things. The fans apologists. The powerful apologists on the management. The local media. The ectera...
If the Habs were winning the Cup, there would still be players people didn't like for whatever reasons. It goes with the terrority of professional sports.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Donrt think he will trade him, dont think he should...... unless the return is very very good, too much offensive talent to give up on him so early, but he is very frustrating to watch sometimes

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Well, they could trade him without giving him away. If the return is too low, just hold.
consequences? We keep him and he destroys the locker room while creating a category 5 media storm that will effect the entire organization.... we also have an incredible rookie pool. These rookies, after having extremely successful teams/awards/standards, will more than likely be called up for some games during next season.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
consequences? We keep him and he destroys the locker room while creating a category 5 media storm that will effect the entire organization.... we also have an incredible rookie pool. These rookies, after having extremely successful teams/awards/standards, will more than likely be called up for some games during next season.

What do you suggest is a better solution? Sell him at a high discount?

I have seen no evidence that he’s destroying the locker room. There are more than enough leadership types in the room to keep everyone on the straight and narrow.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Evidence? Steve f***ing Yserman traded Drouin after creating the very scenario I suggested.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Evidence? Steve ****ing Yserman traded Drouin after creating the very scenario I suggested.

Well it hasn’t prevented our GM from chasing Drouin and whatever he did in Florida, hasn’t happened here.

That said, I still hope they trade him but mainly for other reasons. He’s not willing to pay the price, disappears during too many games and too much perimeter play. I don’t think he’s a fit on a team that prides itself about “attitude”.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

LOL. So if a guy can destroy a locker room by going for long periods without a goal, then Lehkonen and Armia have already destroyed it.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I don't hate Drouin nearly as much as everyone here, but let's be honest with ourselves and say this guy is NOT an impact player. He's a complementary player on a top-6. I think he's our best trading chip for a top-4 LD, and I'd be looking at Leddy for the NYI or Brodin for the Wild.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I don't hate Drouin nearly as much as everyone here, but let's be honest with ourselves and say this guy is NOT an impact player. He's a complementary player on a top-6. I think he's our best trading chip for a top-4 LD, and I'd be looking at Leddy for the NYI or Brodin for the Wild.

Brodin and Leddy are REALLY high on my list wish but no way I’m giving Drouin for them

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Brodin and Leddy are REALLY high on my list wish but no way I’m giving Drouin for them

How do you view Drouin? To me, it's clear this guy will never be the go-to guy on a winning team. He's a high-quality complementary player, but we have TONS of those already. As for a partner for Weber, there's nothing in the system for another couple of years.

In an ideal world some options would be available on the UFA market, but there's not. Leddy and Brodin are still rather young, CLEARLY top-4, LHD Ds, and both play a style that would complement Weber well, in a world where quality LHDs are less and less common.

I'd trade Drouin for either one of them in the blink of an eye. I guess my appreciation of Drouin is less than yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad