Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Where Are Ü Now That We Need Ya? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
$5.5M is okay for a 53 pt player if he's among the best forwards on the team.

$5.5M for, at best, the 5th best forward when there are holes on the roster that need to be filled, is a bit much. Domi, Tatar, Danault, Gallagher are all set for raises in the next few years. If these 4 keep it up, they'll all be paid more than JD. There's also the possibility of a FA signing to bump him down another notch.

Perhaps they should use JD to get help on D, and let younger / cheaper players like Kotka, Poe, and Suzuki complement the 4 high earners.

Forwards perform at their peak from age 24 to around age 30. The market for JD will be a lot less friendly next offseason if the narrative is the same - "Jo knows he has to do better". The Habs have to take advantage of having watched him for 82 games, compared to the spot scouting from other teams, and make a decision on whether he's capable of giving more.

Reactions: bsl and BLONG7

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
That's a strange omission considering he's a local and supposed to be a star. Damn even Shawzie made it on there.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Geoff is ******** playoffs was missed. Marc is ******** at looking like an idiot.
giphy.gif

Reactions: ArtPeur

Megaforce

The problem is you didn’t watch any games. Don’t even try. Everyone who saw him play this season couldn’t care less about his points. And it’s 5.5 mil btw. If you told me he will get 70 next season I would tell you I don’t care and I still want him gone.

I watched the games. I care about Drouin's points. And indeed I like the kid and am excited to see him here next season. So yeah.. maybe try to not construct your arguments around "everybody thinks" and you'll get more traction. If you need help building a logical argument, search the term "All men are mortal."

Reactions: Guns n Roses

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I watched the games. I care about Drouin's points. And indeed I like tuthe kid and am excited to see him here next season. So yeah.. maybe try to not construct your arguments around "everybody thinks" and you'll get more traction. If you need help building a logical argument, search the term "All men are mortal."
Just curious, if you watched the last 20 games of the season, why would you want to see him back? He was OK the first 60 games, but he was downright brutal the last 20 games. So, he really did not have a good season, and he is a softee and his team mates know this.

Turnover machine...soft, disappears when it counts...couldn't play C last year, couldn't run the PP this year. I dunno man, it sure seems like he is not worth near his 5.5M Most Habs fans really can't get past this.

Reactions: bsl and Tyson

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Watching him play I get the impression he doesn't really like playing hockey. He seems to like the idea of being a hockey player, but is not willing to put in the effort to be one. Soft drifters usually end up in Europe.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Watching him play I get the impression he doesn't really like playing hockey. He seems to like the idea of being a hockey player, but is not willing to put in the effort to be one. Soft drifters usually end up in Europe.
Maybe hockey as a hobby. But not as a profession.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
JD mailed it in the last 20 games, when it counted the most. Those games were like playoff games. He will not go to the net, he will not take a hit to make a play...he is the softest player we have had in ages. This seemed to have caught up to him, when Shaw called him out...this is a guy who gives min effort, on a team that have guys who give max effort. He has a ton of talent, but no heart or brain.

He had zero answers as the year went on...CJ had lost faith in him, and then put JD's sad performance on Koko and in the process ruined that kids end of season also.

Soft, and lazy and he is what he is....time to admit the mistake, and move on from it.
He’s a bum! We cannot justify paying him 5.5 million! He make 1 million more than Shaw who is worth 3 Drouins! How can this little bitch be our best paid forward?? Get f***ing rid of him now! I don’t give a shit about the return! I want this punk gone NOW!

Reactions: cphabs and BLONG7

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I watched the games. I care about Drouin's points. And indeed I like the kid and am excited to see him here next season. So yeah.. maybe try to not construct your arguments around "everybody thinks" and you'll get more traction. If you need help building a logical argument, search the term "All men are mortal."
What happens when an unstoppable object collides with an immoveable object? Your answer will tell me how much you know logic.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
There was a very interesting article on the Athletic comparing Price in 2010 and Drouin. Both were severely underperforming and were under high scrutiny from the fan base. Both of them faced the media for much longer than the other players and answered the hard questions. I’m just trying to find some hope.

Jonathan Drouin is at a similar place as Carey Price, and...

Goaltenders have always been the hardest position to develop. At least in far as how long it takes to develop and the uncertainty because it’s a speciality position. While wingers, especially in today’s NHL develop quick. A 22 year old Carey Price is no comparison to a 24 year old Drouin. That’s garbage.

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Goaltenders have always been the hardest position to develop. At least in far as how long it takes to develop and the uncertainty because it’s a speciality position. While wingers, especially in today’s NHL develop quick. A 22 year old Carey Price is no comparison to a 24 year old Drouin. That’s garbage.
It’s more 23 to 24 or 22 to 23. One year age gap. Price was turning 23 in three months from then. The point stands that they were both highly criticized and not performing.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It’s more 23 to 24 or 22 to 23. One year age gap. Price was turning 23 in three months from then. The point stands that they were both highly criticized and not performing.

We’ve seen five years of Drouin in the NHL as opposed to Price’s 3 in the same time frame they want to label it. One plays a position that takes years to develop, while the other doesn’t They aren’t comparable. Only thing that’s remotely close is they were both under fire for their play. Price dealt with a lot more then Drouin ever had to at that age and came out of it younger. We’re still watching Drouin dink around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad