Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - The Center of Our Attention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
I don't understand the hate on Drouin
He's our leading scorer and has been our best player since the start of the year.

If he was playing on the lightning, he would easily be over ppg. If Sergachev was playing here, he would probably only have around 5 pts.

The only top 6 centers that have been traded are Duchene and Turris.
Sergachev for Turris would have been a horrible deal for us.
Colorado got much more for Duchene than what Tampa got for Drouin. Duchene has 0 pts in 4 games for the sens this year.

We got the best possible player that we couldve gotten for Sergachev

The best player we could have gotten for Sergachev? You act like he was a pending UFA and he HAD to be traded, we could have sat on the teenaged DMan with a high ceiling? I'm not going to whine too much since I was reasonably happy with the trade in the moment but man, it looks pretty bad. I'm not worried about Sergachev's stats in Tampa because you're right, he wouldn't have anything resembling that in Montreal but Drouin just doesn't look like a gamebreaker. We already knew he was horrid defensively but he's got the same mix as Galchenyuk in that, maybe they're fun to watch but do you really see this guy scoring 70+ points? They made the trade based on the premise that he was going to be a very high end producer not produce like another low-tier 1st liner ala Pacioretty or Galchenyuk.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The best player we could have gotten for Sergachev? You act like he was a pending UFA and he HAD to be traded, we could have sat on the teenaged DMan with a high ceiling? I'm not going to whine too much since I was reasonably happy with the trade in the moment but man, it looks pretty bad. I'm not worried about Sergachev's stats in Tampa because you're right, he wouldn't have anything resembling that in Montreal but Drouin just doesn't look like a gamebreaker. We already knew he was horrid defensively but he's got the same mix as Galchenyuk in that, maybe they're fun to watch but do you really see this guy scoring 70+ points? They made the trade based on the premise that he was going to be a very high end producer not produce like another low-tier 1st liner ala Pacioretty or Galchenyuk.

Yea I can see 70+ pts from him
He's played mostly with Lehkonen, Galchenyuk, and Pacioretty this year, and they all have trouble finishing on his passes
Drouin had games where he couldve easily had 4 pts if not for the lack of finish of his teammate.

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
He's played mostly with Lehkonen, Galchenyuk, and Pacioretty this year, and they all have trouble finishing on his passes
Drouin had games where he couldve easily had 4 pts if not for the lack of finish of his teammate.

Well keep on hopin' dude. I'll take the under.

Reactions: McTusk

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
Overrated. Should've seen the red flags when he had problems staying in the lineup early on with Tampa Bay, and the rift between him and Yzerman. He did well last year, but Tampa didn't make the playoffs (and if he was THAT good he should've carried them along with Kucherov into the Playoffs), and he had a stacked offence to feed off. He's got talent, but he's nothing more than a glorified complementary winger. He'll never be more than a perennial 50-60 point player at best, which we had in Desharnais, yet another undersized center, only difference is, at least DD had chemistry with Patches and was better at Faceoffs, which Drouin lacks.

Reactions: Habs Icing

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I don't think you're seeing the whole picture. Firstly, Drouin shouldn't be at centre. He's superb as a winger and wishing him to be a centre is what Bergevin is doing being he's not a competent enough GM to get a real one.

For every goal Galchenyuk didn't score on a setup from Drouin is another goal Drouin missed on a setup from Galchenyuk. The whole team is playing that way, perhaps with the exception of Gallagher.

It's hauntingly close to how the team looked during the cliff dive last season. Hopefully Bergevin will get his walking papers just as Therrien did then.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I don't think you're seeing the whole picture. Firstly, Drouin shouldn't be at centre. He's superb as a winger and wishing him to be a centre is what Bergevin is doing being he's not a competent enough GM to get a real one.

For every goal Galchenyuk didn't score on a setup from Drouin is another goal Drouin missed on a setup from Galchenyuk. The whole team is playing that way, perhaps with the exception of Gallagher.

It's hauntingly close to how the team looked during the cliff dive last season. Hopefully Bergevin will get his walking papers just as Therrien did then.
It's mb's last hail Mary. To get a#1 centre out of thin air. I just feel bad for the kid. He's a better player than serg, but has been put in a position to fail while the other has been put in a position to succeed.

Reactions: Da Grinder

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
It's mb's last hail Mary. To get a#1 centre out of thin air. I just feel bad for the kid. He's a better player than serg, but has been put in a position to fail while the other has been put in a position to succeed.
There was something deeply cynical about how Drouin was promoted and force fed to the fan base after the trade to me.

I’m not one of those guys who believe that the Habs value retaining a pure Laine identity over winning, but sometimes I wonder... never mind.

Reality is that he was marketed to be something he wasn’t.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
There was something deeply cynical about how Drouin was promoted and force fed to the fan base after the trade to me.

I’m not one of those guys who believe that the Habs value retaining a pure Laine identity over winning, but sometimes I wonder... never mind.

Reality is that he was marketed to be something he wasn’t.
That is exactly why that trade was made, who the hell trades away a potential strong #1 D.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
That is exactly why that trade was made, who the hell trades away a potential strong #1 D.

Well if you've been reading Bertrand Raymond these past few months, it seems like the reason the Habs are losing is that they are not drafting enough french guys.

He's still not over how the Habs drafted a Japanese guy in the 9th round in 1992 instead of drafting a guy from the Q.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The Habs absolutely need some pure Laine players for marketing purposes, as well as a pure Laine coach.

But it might backfire if the team isn't winning, with the love being converted into hatred.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
The Habs absolutely need some pure Laine players for marketing purposes, as well as a pure Laine coach.

But it might backfire if the team isn't winning, with the love being converted into hatred.
It is an attitude that will keep them mediocre forever. The league is far to competitive to not find the best at whatever position, if you hire by language you will never be able to compete. I think the last 25 yrs witnesses to what I say. Preach it brother.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Sergechevs stats would have been lower in Montreal you say.

Same applies to Drouin.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I don't understand the hate on Drouin
He's our leading scorer and has been our best player since the start of the year.

If he was playing on the lightning, he would easily be over ppg. If Sergachev was playing here, he would probably only have around 5 pts.

The only top 6 centers that have been traded are Duchene and Turris.
Sergachev for Turris would have been a horrible deal for us.
Colorado got much more for Duchene than what Tampa got for Drouin. Duchene has 0 pts in 4 games for the sens this year.

We got the best possible player that we couldve gotten for Sergachev
Horse droppings! Drouin played with Lightning last year and he was not "easily over ppg". He's on pace to collect as many points with the Habs this year as he did with the Bolts last year. So stop with the misdirection.

This summer I was against the trade because we needed a top 6 center and our resident genius traded a blue chip defencemen for a winger he was going to convert to center. Because you know in the past they've had such great success at converting wingers into centers. Despite all that Even I bought into the hype and thought he would be a game breaker ON THE WING. Looking at his play this kid is not a game breaker on the wing or at center. When it comes to value he'll be a poor man's Derek Brassard. Would you have traded Sergachev for a Brassard? Let alone a poor man's version.

Last edited:

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
In that case, I hope Timmins is let go, too. Cant draft a forward to save his life.

Connor Crisp.

Smh

I agree, Timmons is overrated and always has been. The dude blew many chances on drafting top forwards more than on a few occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad