Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - The Center of Our Attention

Status
Not open for further replies.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
It STILL doesn't explain how on one hand...

- you're telling people not to get overly excited about prospects (including Drouin as a prospect strangely enough)

Yet on the other hand...

- you're lamenting the loss of a PROSPECT, for a PROVEN player

This doesn't jive...context is important, but it's irrelevant in the absence of logic.

That's the thing, these are your words not mine. I never lamented the Drouin acquisition as I mentioned I like the trade on a micro level but when discussing Bergevin's plan I don't see an issue with bringing up the confusing vision, are we going for it, status quo or rebuilding , what are we doing?

Trading Sergachev doesn't make sense to me in the context of not retaining Radulov are biggest needs are C and LD. If you are trading Drouin to let Radu walk what did you really do? I am allowed to like a trade while questioning the global vision.

In regards to the prospects I mentioned I was just showing how easily we can exaggerate a players potential. I was clearly not making an equivalency as I mentioned context is important. I am just saying temper the expectations because the standard laid out by some in this thread is beyond unreasonable.

Do you think I don't want a potential PPG+ player that is only 22 or?

I just don't think it's reasonable to say he is more spectacular than Malkin or has equivalent hands to Lemieux or that he will shortly be a top 5 player in the league. These kind of posts are what I am referring to, the reasonably optimistic ones are fine and I have no issues with.

On another note awesome thread title.

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Hopefully Drouin steps up to the challenge provided (and asked for) It'll fill one hole this team has.
The kid wants it and I like the moxy.
Hopefully he gets a couple months minimum to adjust.
AG isn't the answer IMO. Too many chances with the same issues. And different eyes making that judgement. Can he improve, sure.
But Drouin should get this shot.

Drouin seems jacked with this op. Run with it kid.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I think he works at center. A part of me always expected him to be a C since the trade, at least to start. He'll be surrounded by two stronger defensive players (Pacioretty and then either Gally or Lehkonen on the right side) and I think he excels. Maybe his FO% won't be so great, but I think he'll make up for it regardless due to his skill and skating ability.

Not going to be surprised if he surpasses 70 points this season, but I'll temper expectations and keep them in the 60-point range for now until I finish up my projections a bit later into camp.

OnceWasNot

Jul 28, 2009
I've been going over game footage and stats. People expecting him to be an effective top 6 center at even strength are going to be very disappointed.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
After reading some Drouin posts on the main and trade boards here at HF from some Leaf fans, I just hope at this point that Drouin is even half the player that Nylander and Marner are for the Leafs. :sarcasm:

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
jonathan drouin was a very good acquisition

what disapoints me is that radulov walks, now besides pac, who is he going to play with? maybe a line of pac-drouin-galchenyuk but i doubt it. Gallagher with drouin won't work both are undersized

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
Drouin is twice the player of Nylander or Marner, his skill set, is very close to McDavid, he just has to prove it, I am sure he will, and I am not crazy, he is a hell of player.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Drouin is twice the player of Nylander or Marner, his skill set, is very close to McDavid, he just has to prove it, I am sure he will, and I am not crazy, he is a hell of player.

:laugh:

Marner and Drouin are going to be pretty equal, plz don't say that Drouin is very close of McDavid on the main board......:help:

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Well you're Guy Lafleur 2.0 or you're not. McDavid's days at the top are already numbered. :sarcasm:

And I'm getting chastised for saying that some posters should temper their expectations...Bizarro world.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
That's the thing, these are your words not mine. I never lamented the Drouin acquisition as I mentioned I like the trade on a micro level but when discussing Bergevin's plan I don't see an issue with bringing up the confusing vision, are we going for it, status quo or rebuilding , what are we doing?

Trading Sergachev doesn't make sense to me in the context of not retaining Radulov are biggest needs are C and LD. If you are trading Drouin to let Radu walk what did you really do? I am allowed to like a trade while questioning the global vision.

In regards to the prospects I mentioned I was just showing how easily we can exaggerate a players potential. I was clearly not making an equivalency as I mentioned context is important. I am just saying temper the expectations because the standard laid out by some in this thread is beyond unreasonable.

Do you think I don't want a potential PPG+ player that is only 22 or?

I just don't think it's reasonable to say he is more spectacular than Malkin or has equivalent hands to Lemieux or that he will shortly be a top 5 player in the league. These kind of posts are what I am referring to, the reasonably optimistic ones are fine and I have no issues with.

On another note awesome thread title.
Drouin was a very high pick in the same draft as Galchenyuk, so obviously a great deal was expected of him

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
And I'm getting chastised for saying that some posters should temper their expectations...Bizarro world.

I think there is legitimate excitement regarding Drouin; he is very skilled. I imagine a great deal of the additional and premature idolization is simply stemming from possibly having landed a future hometown superstar, multiplied further by the length of time since we last had one in Montreal.

That would be tremendous, of course, but let's see how the guy fits in with new teammates, a new coach, likely a new position, and a ton of additional pressure.

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
Drouin was a very high pick in the same draft as Galchenyuk, so obviously a great deal was expected of him

Jonathan Drouin: 3rd pick overall of 2013 draft
Alex Galchenyuk: 3rd pick overall of 2012 draft

But yeah you mean the same # in round 1. True but sometimes the # doesn't show the real value of a player. I think it could be a burden for some players and they feel that they have to contribute right away. It even affected Drouin and the Lightning organization because he thought he was above the administration which is rarely the case anywhere.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec

Nylander was MVP in the World Championships, and he had a great playoffs. What we need is for Drouin to play as well as him at even strength.

Reactions: Weardown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad