Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Guy Laflamme edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You know what, I’m really starting to question how talented he really is. His road production is atrocious
May be we all just wanted a offensive saviour so bad that we overrated him
Right now I don’t know what to say other than he’s hot garbage

He has world class talent. It’s what got him to this level and why he’s even playing. He has zero IQ on a ton of different aspects of the game however. You mix that with his work ethic and you get what you’re seeing now. A player whose capable of putting up points but is a complete detriment to a team at the same time. It’s beyond frustrating to watch at this point.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He makes so many misreads and dumb plays. It's like he's never bothered learning fundamental hockey. There's a serious problem with your game when you mesh with no one.

I honestly wish we had drafted McAvoy, we wouldn't be suffer his play. There's still hope he turns it around with his skillset, but the lack of any progression in 3 years now is really concerning.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Exactly, Drouin has to realize success will come through pain and efforts, it all starts in the gym, practices ect... Attitude, dedication, hard work, consistency and willingness to pay the price, thats what the the best players in the world are made of !!!

The best players in the game practice and master simple plays that translate on a consistent level, even when you're not getting puck luck or in the zone. To that, they add IQ/high end skill/skating whatever their standout feature is. "Skill" players are just overrated garbage until proven they can actually produce to a level compatible with their useage. Drouin isnt even a skilled player, as he actually converts barely any of his skilled plays. Hes a high risk player.

Reactions: ProspectsFanatic

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Exactly, Drouin has to realize success will come through pain and efforts, it all starts in the gym, practices ect... Attitude, dedication, hard work, consistency and willingness to pay the price, thats what the the best players in the world are made of !!!

Agreed.

His one saving grace continues to be his contract, which lines up nicely with his season totals thus far.........even if those numbers deceive.

Reactions: Da Grinder

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
mtmpu.jpg
somes up my feelings

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
He does not add to the team. Give some AHLers a chance - maybe their heart will help with the playoff push.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
He does not add to the team. Give some AHLers a chance - maybe their heart will help with the playoff push.

Have you seen our AHL team?

It's a big issue for the habs. I do not believe you're deep unless your AHL team is competitive. Ours sucks. TB and Toronto's AHL teams had success before their NHL teams got good.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
He hasn't progressed that much since then that is why. Thinks he's a legend in his own mind, very arrogant and thinks his talent is enough, but not in the NHL. You have to work your ass off everyday to get better. This is the best league in the world and you could have all the talent in the world doesn't matter if you don't work hard.and get better every game. That's why MacKinnon is way better then Drouin now.
His behaviour in Tampa, especially with the refusal to be sent down should have raised all kinds of red flags. Bergevin doesnt trade for somebody with his issues if they aren’t Québécois.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I just hope MB has the balls to trade him this summer. His production is decent and hes still young. A GM will probably take a chance with him. He can be a great complimentary player of a superstar. We don't have that here and we all know Drouin cannot be the player that drives our offense.. like Pacioretty and Galchenyuk so hopefully he trades while he has decent value.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
His behaviour in Tampa, especially with the refusal to be sent down should have raised all kinds of red flags. Bergevin doesnt trade for somebody with his issues if they aren’t Québécois.

To be honest I'm sure that was definitely the reason they traded for him as well thinking he would reach his potential playing for the Canadiens his home.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Brian Wilde's take on this guy?

He needs a number 1 centre to play with.

No shit. You put an actual number 1 centre with anyone and they'll play better.

No wonder recruites is so highly successful with great insights like that.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018

No ****. You put an actual number 1 centre with anyone and they'll play better.

This indeed made me chuckle. First, the argument went he is not playing his natural position. Drouin’s not a center. Move him to the wing and watch him perform. Now, the argument is that he needs a #1C on his line to perform. What’s next? He further needs a #1C, #1W and puck moving D to unlock his artistry. Sign me up. I could put some points up in that situation.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I noticed a slight increase in intensity with Drouin last night. Didn't result in any points but the effort level was a bit higher.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This indeed made me chuckle. First, the argument went he is not playing his natural position. Drouin’s not a center. Move him to the wing and watch him perform. Now, the argument is that he needs a #1C on his line to perform. What’s next? He further needs a #1C, #1W and puck moving D to unlock his artistry. Sign me up. I could put some points up in that situation.

This was funny with me too. The whole center/winger thing where he would explode on the wing was false. The real issue is how we surround Drouin and play him with a real top 2C. Domi and Kotkaniemi are playing their 1st year at center and Danault is not the type of offensive minded center Drouin needs to play with.

Wait for Kotkaniemi to fill in and be able to compete physically. This might make a huge difference in his ability to maintain puck possession and dish the puck off to a winger like Drouin in open space cause Kotkaniemi draws attention

Those of you who want to trade Drouin cause he is struggling to be the player we want him to be better be careful with what you wish for. Trading Drouin at low value cause you lost faith in him could back fire where he is in a situation where he plays with a talented and matured top 2C who has physical strength. We don't have that yet

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
The AC was quite good last night...

Very level-headed but hard-hitting opinions, nothing dramatic, hysterical or mean-spirited (unlike HF... sorry).

They actually brought up the idea of trading JD out of Montreal in the summer... after first seeing what he does in the final 10 games.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He has world class talent. It’s what got him to this level and why he’s even playing. He has zero IQ on a ton of different aspects of the game however. You mix that with his work ethic and you get what you’re seeing now. A player whose capable of putting up points but is a complete detriment to a team at the same time. It’s beyond frustrating to watch at this point.

Think about how Subban felt the need to step up and be creative where he made mistakes when he was with us. Not saying he made as many mistakes as Drouin today but the point is these type of talent try to to be creative where we need them too and they will make mistakes.

He is who he is. I'm waiting till we get a skilled puck possession center who is strong on the puck. Domi and Kotkaniemi are playing center for the first time in the NHL and Danault is not a offensively gifted type center. This means we need to be careful with our lines and the wingers need to carry the load in some cases.

This team is frustrating to watch at times due to lack of physically strong puck possession players and lack of players who has confidence to score cause their shot is meh. Drouin makes mistakes but he is not the only one

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

No ****. You put an actual number 1 centre with anyone and they'll play better.

What do you expect from a Bergevin's cheerleader?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Think about how Subban felt the need to step up and be creative where he made mistakes when he was with us. Not saying he made as many mistakes as Drouin today but the point is these type of talent try to to be creative where we need them too and they will make mistakes.

He is who he is. I'm waiting till we get a skilled puck possession center who is strong on the puck. Domi and Kotkaniemi are playing center for the first time in the NHL and Danault is not a offensively gifted type center. This means we need to be careful with our lines and the wingers need to carry the load in some cases.

This team is frustrating to watch at times due to lack of physically strong puck possession players and lack of players who has confidence to score cause their shot is meh. Drouin makes mistakes but he is not the only one

Tatar is having a career year
Gallagher is having another 30 goals season
Shaw is even having a career year

But Drouin's problem is his linesmates?.....takes me back to when Desharnais was having problems because of his wingers.

Reactions: OldCraig71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad