Jonathan Dahlen

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The level of hockey isn’t terrible but it is not where he belongs. You don’t get development when you stomp on everyone in a league
I think it is fine it is a temporary spot this season where he can get his confidence back. If he stays there next year, I would seriously start questioning his mental toughness to make in the NHL. Even the best players have down years where they struggle.

Reactions: Red Light Lover

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Any news on him? Scoring at a ridiculous pace to start the year for Timra.

CapFriendly lists him as an unrestricted free agent. Is he still in Allsvenskan under the assumption that he is heading to North America once the season starts or is he set to remain in Sweden?

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Any news on him? Scoring at a ridiculous pace to start the year for Timra.

CapFriendly lists him as an unrestricted free agent. Is he still in Allsvenskan under the assumption that he is heading to North America once the season starts or is he set to remain in Sweden?
He's an RFA that has not yet signed his QO. Will likely remain on the restricted list until he comes to North America following his season in Allsvenskan where he will sign a deal and get some NHL games in most likely (like he was slated to pre-COVID shutdown this past season).

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Awesome Sheng article on Dahlen. Keep up the great work man @Sheng Peng !!

Jonathan Dahlen: “I was a little small before.”
The 5-foot-11 winger also admitted: “I was a little small before…Now I feel stronger and more all-round fit.”
This jibes with what San Jose Hockey Now was told last month about Dahlen’s conditioning: “A source tells me that Jonathan himself feels ready to challenge for a full-time NHL spot soon — which suggests to me that his training this past summer has gone well and he’s made a leap physically.”

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Awesome Sheng article on Dahlen. Keep up the great work man @Sheng Peng !!

Jonathan Dahlen: “I was a little small before.”

The right handed forward article is a good read too. I'd have guessed championship teams are more evenly distributed between L/R on average.

I'd argue with only Kevin Labanc in the top 9, we're still short at least one, but maybe the bigger issue is the lack of play-makers. If we added Palat and had another Donskoi, I'd probably be happy even if everyone but Labanc was a LHS.

No one is going to complain about Meier, Kane, and Couture as trigger guys, but we're pretty light on guys who can create for their teammates outside Hertl and Labanc.

Reactions: Gecklund

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
To put Dahlen's performance in perspective.

Sorensen is playing in the same league and has 13 points in 8 games.

So his skills are roughly the same as sorenson? Who is nothing better then a wasted roster spot in the nhl?

Yup that excites me.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don't think anyone's saying that, and a one-to-one comparison is not exactly robust.

It shows that the league he is in, is basically garbage. Nothing to get excited about if someone as bad as sorenson can dominate the same league.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
It shows that the league he is in, is basically garbage. Nothing to get excited about if someone as bad as sorenson can dominate the same league.

Marcus Sorensen performing extremely well in a league is not a sufficient data point to prove that a league is "basically garbage" and that therefore anyone succeeding in that league is "nothing to get excited about." That's literally one data point.

To add to that, this is an extremely small sample size. Sorensen has dominated in eight games. Dahlen has dominated for his last 59 games, and dominated in 103 games (16-18) before coming over to the AHL.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Marcus Sorensen performing extremely well in a league is not a sufficient data point to prove that a league is "basically garbage" and that therefore anyone succeeding in that league is "nothing to get excited about." That's literally one data point.

To add to that, this is an extremely small sample size. Sorensen has dominated in eight games. Dahlen has dominated for his last 59 games, and dominated in 103 games (16-18) before coming over to the AHL.
Also Dahlen is 6 years younger than Sorensen.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Also Dahlen is 6 years younger than Sorensen.

Also true, but I think "don't judge a complex system by a single data point" and "don't judge a single data point on the basis of a small sample size" are important considerations.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
If Kevin Labanc scores 20 goals, its great. Dahlen? Nothing to get excited about, send him and Sorensen back to Sweden

Captain Serious

Aug 20, 2010
I did an analysis like four years back (and read an article a couple years back) on allsvenskan NHLe numbers to predict production of an allsvenskan player coming to the NHL. I used proxy leagues (the conversion of allsvenskan to ahl then nhl or to shl then nhl) since there aren’t many instances of a player coming straight from allsvenskan to the nhl.

The NHLe I got (which ended up being similar to an article that came out a couple years later) was .43 putting it in a similar difficulty level of the AHL.

Using these numbers, Dahlen’s numbers last year would’ve been the equivalent of 53 points, and this year it would be 80 points if he can keep up his production but it’s a small sample size. I expect his production to drop and I believe he’ll have issues translating all that production to the NHL given concerns over his skating, but his NHLe is higher than any other sharks prospect and if he can translate his play style to the NHL he has the most upside, outside of Merkley, to be an impact player out of the sharks as of now I think.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I did an analysis like four years back (and read an article a couple years back) on allsvenskan NHLe numbers to predict production of an allsvenskan player coming to the NHL. I used proxy leagues (the conversion of allsvenskan to ahl then nhl or to shl then nhl) since there aren’t many instances of a player coming straight from allsvenskan to the nhl.

The NHLe I got (which ended up being similar to an article that came out a couple years later) was .43 putting it in a similar difficulty level of the AHL.

Using these numbers, Dahlen’s numbers last year would’ve been the equivalent of 53 points, and this year it would be 80 points if he can keep up his production but it’s a small sample size. I expect his production to drop and I believe he’ll have issues translating all that production to the NHL given concerns over his skating, but his NHLe is higher than any other sharks prospect and if he can translate his play style to the NHL he has the most upside, outside of Merkley, to be an impact player out of the sharks as of now I think.

What does a .59 ahl ppg translate to the nhl?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad