Jonathan Bernier on TSN Radio.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Happening now.

Will summarize.

EDIT:

On Leafs Lunch with Brian Hayes and Jamie McLennan.

Summary:

- Currently back in Montreal
- Grew up a Habs fan (not a diehard Habs fan)
- Very happy to come to Toronto, great opportunity (battle with James Reimer)
- Aware of media scrutiny
- "If we have success, it can be the greatest city to play in."
- About his strengths: Good positioning, reading the game, "I can read two, three, four plays before they happen."
- Says he's used to being in a goalie battle (Jonathan Quick)
- "I'm ready for the challenge, I've been waiting 3 years for that."
- "It was very hard. Sometimes the motivation was pretty low." (About sitting in LA to Quick)
- Says he's heard Carlyle is a fair person and "he plays the players that should play."
- Living in LA was "great" and "it'll be a change" playing in Canada.

Last edited:

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Berny on reimer: I GOT DIS, lol hes like we'll let the play on the ice do the talking

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
On Leafs Lunch with Brian Hayes and Jamie McLennan.

Summary:

- Currently back in Montreal
- Grew up a Habs fan (not a diehard Habs fan)
- Very happy to come to Toronto, great opportunity (battle with James Reimer)
- Aware of media scrutiny
- "If we have success, it can be the greatest city to play in."
- About his strengths: Good positioning, reading the game, "I can read two, three, four plays before they happen."
- Says he's used to being in a goalie battle (Jonathan Quick)
- "I'm ready for the challenge, I've been waiting 3 years for that."
- "It was very hard. Sometimes the motivation was pretty low." (About sitting in LA to Quick)
- Says he's heard Carlyle is a fair person and "he plays the players that should play."
- Living in LA was "great" and "it'll be a change" playing in Canada.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Joined in the middle of the convo, don't know what they talked about before this:

-Lot of pressure playing in a city like Toronto, but also realizes that it's the best place to play if you win.
-Admits he's not a big goalie, his biggest asset is that he's great reader of plays, puts himself in a great position to stop pucks
-He's ready for a challenge. He realizes what is ahead of him.
-Back up role is very hard. He felt unmotivated at times and admits hard to get into a groove.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Excellent, glad he's got a good attitude, but I also hope he's not expecting to be given the job. Randy makes you earn it.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426456

Following three years serving as the back-up in Los Angeles, newly acquired Maple Leafs goaltender Jonathan Bernier says he's "ready for the challenge" of battling James Reimer for the number one spot in Toronto.

Speaking on Leafs Lunch with Bryan Hayes and Jamie McLennan on Thursday, Bernier said it was "very hard" at times being entrenched behind Jonathan Quick and is now excited at the prospect of getting an opportunity to compete with Reimer for the top spot with the Leafs.

"I'm ready for the challenge," Bernier said. "I've been waiting three years for that and now I finally get some playing time so I'm very excited to come and I'll be ready."

The 11th overall pick in the 2006 draft explained he learned a lot from backing up the 2012 Conn Smythe Trophy winner for three seasons and although it was frustrating, he used it as a learning tool.

"It was very hard. Sometimes motivation was pretty low but I know at the end of the day, when I look back at this, it's going to make me a stronger person and a stronger player and it was good for me to learn from one of the best goalies in the league."

Coming off his best year statistically, in which he posted a 9-3-1 record to go along with a .922 save percentage and 1.88 goals against average, Bernier said he welcomes the competition with the Leafs incumbent goaltender and believes in having a supportive relationship with his fellow netminder, similar to what he had in L.A.

"I'm very happy, it's a great opportunity to come to Toronto with James I think it's going to be a good battle," Bernier said. "It reminds me a little bit of when I got to the Kings. We kind of grew up together. Obviously the chemistry is key when you want to win and you want to play for each other, so that's the right way to do it."

https://twitter.com/TSN1050Radio/status/350310106212204544

TSN Radio‏

@TSN1050Radio

The Leafs newest addition, goaltender Jonathan Bernier called in to #LeafsLunch today

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/LL_BernierJune27.mp3 @HayesTSN @jamiemclennan29

10:50 AM - 27 Jun 13

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Words are wind. Let's wait for the play of the goalies to determine who should be #1.

Ace88*

Saying all the right, expected things. I dont believe for one second that he's thrilled to be in another battle-for-#1 situation, and if he can't outright win the starting position (which i dont think is at all a given), then i can see him bouncing to free agency in a few years.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Berny on reimer: I GOT DIS, lol hes like we'll let the play on the ice do the talking

And that is the attitude that we need Bernier to take. Reimer stated that he is not going to let Bernier just take the starter's role from him...hoping for an epic goalie battle between these two for the starter's position!

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
Bernier is so confident and calm. He knows that he has to earn the #1 goalie spot and it won't be handed to him. He's ready for the challenge.

Reimer on the other hand, during his interview he sounded whiny and unimpressed. Doesn't sound like he's a big fan of the idea and feels let down by the organization.

As a pro athlete you have to overcome adversity. It's a business, and as a business you have to do what it takes to win. Clearly Reimer-Scrivens wasn't getting it done. Reimer needs to understand that Bernier will help him become a better goalie and together they'll become great #1 goalies to help this team succeed. It's not about yourself. Reimer really needs to man up and simply do his best. That's all we can ask for right now.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Bernier is so confident and calm. He knows that he has to earn the #1 goalie spot and it won't be handed to him. He's ready for the challenge.

Reimer on the other hand, during his interview he sounded whiny and unimpressed. Doesn't sound like he's a big fan of the idea and feels let down by the organization.

As a pro athlete you have to overcome adversity. It's a business, and as a business you have to do what it takes to win. Clearly Reimer-Scrivens wasn't getting it done. Reimer needs to understand that Bernier will help him become a better goalie and together they'll become great #1 goalies to help this team succeed. It's not about yourself. Reimer really needs to man up and simply do his best. That's all we can ask for right now.

Reimer should be upset by the Bernier acquisition. He did everything he could to prove himself this past season. He was not totally at fault for the collapse against Boston.

Apparently, Leafs management does not have any confidence in him. They went ahead and traded for another young, unproven goalie, with potential. This screams lack of confidence in Reimer.

Maybe Reimer should demand to be traded. Then the Leafs would be forced to sink or swim with Brenier alone, unless, they acquired another veteran goalie. This might just upset Bernier!!!

astro7

May 20, 2013
Reimer should be upset by the Bernier acquisition. He did everything he could to prove himself this past season. He was not totally at fault for the collapse against Boston.

Apparently, Leafs management does not have any confidence in him. They went ahead and traded for another young, unproven goalie, with potential. This screams lack of confidence in Reimer.

Maybe Reimer should demand to be traded. Then the Leafs would be forced to sink or swim with Brenier alone, unless, they acquired another veteran goalie. This might just upset Bernier!!!

I actually thought of this happening. Although I doubt it will, it would be interesting if it did. Not far fetched.

Anyway, nothing against Bernier, but let's go Reimer!

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Thank you for the write ups.

Bernier and Reimer are polar opposite goalies, it'll be a treat to watch the play.

Yeah this is what has me so excited. This must be quite a treat for Carlyle.

Up against a grindy chippy team? Throw in Reimer. Up against a high scoring skill team? Throw in Bernier. Sweet!

Mar 26, 2010
Sounds like he wanted to go to Montreal. Disappointed he is a Leaf and says he only wants a short contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad