Jonathan Bernier - 10th best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Sorry but one year of slightly above average play while your team misses the playoffs does not make one a true number one starter. If anything Reimer is the more secured one, Bernier is the one fighting for a contract.

lol @ slightly above average play. You're so wrong. Remember this later on this year, when Bernier is our starter.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I like his interview today "we now have some new defensive players with grit and the team needs to play 5 man defense not just the defensemen playing defense" I like the message I hope he preaches it widely in that dressing. My fear is that many on this team are not listening though.

Team defense is a joke until you start benching or reducing the minutes of the offenders. It always results in the coach getting fired but if I'm the coach that's fine- no way I'm letting the inmates run the asylum.

Well that's the crux of the issue right there ain't it?

and how does it work if some of your worst offenders are 3 of your 4 most offensively gifted and some even hold bullet proof superstar status with the fans?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I like his interview today "we now have some new defensive players with grit and the team needs to play 5 man defense not just the defensemen playing defense" I like the message I hope he preaches it widely in that dressing. My fear is that many on this team are not listening though.

Team defense is a joke until you start benching or reducing the minutes of the offenders. It always results in the coach getting fired but if I'm the coach that's fine- no way I'm letting the inmates run the asylum.

Well that's the crux of the issue right there ain't it?

and how does it work if some of your worst offenders are 3 of your 4 most offensively gifted and some even hold bullet proof superstar status with the fans?

Especially, when the coaches said they don't have to play any differently, than they have been. TSN...
"I think Randy lets me get away with stuff that other guys might not get away with," he said. "Obviously I play different than someone else on the team. I think me and Randy have a pretty good relationship in that, and we get along real well in that sense."

Reimer was 8th. in save percentage leaders the previous season. Does that make him a top 8 goalie?

Reimer had a 2.46 GAA.

This year, Bernier was 10th. save percentage with a 2.68 GAA.

Patience, you aren't a star after one season, nor a star after a shortened, uneven 48 game schedule where most of the players hadn't played a game in almost a year, suiting up with mid-season form AHL players.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Tops...

1. Rask
2. Lundqvist
3. Quick
4. Price
5. Niemi
6. Rinne
7. Varlamov
8. Crawford
9. Luongo
10. Fleury

I'd put Bernier around #11-15

i'd put lundqvist at the top.

bernier had 35 shots against on average and still managed his save percentage. i'd rate him at

1. lundqvist
2. quick
3. rask
4. Price
5. rinne
6. bernier
7. varlamov
8. bishop
9. bobvrosky
10. schnieder

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Bernier is a top 10 goalie this year, he will stand to make 6.25M per as per cap geek the 10th and 11th highest paid Goalies in the NHL are paid 6.25M per.

As I said earlier this summer, we are in a cap crunch next summer with only 15M in cap space for 9 players. 6.25M to Bernier would put us at 9M to sign 8 unsigned players that include Franson and Kadri. Not looking great in terms of cap management.

On one hand you want Bernier doing well, so the team does well, but on the other hand if he does well, this will put him into 6.25M+ territory.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
If Bernier is a top 10 goalie this year, he will stand to make 6.25M per as per cap geek the 10th and 11th highest paid Goalies in the NHL are paid 6.25M per.

As I said earlier this summer, we are in a cap crunch next summer with only 15M in cap space for 9 players. 6.25M to Bernier would put us at 9M to sign 8 unsigned players that include Franson and Kadri. Not looking great in terms of cap management.

On one hand you want Bernier doing well, so the team does well, but on the other hand if he does well, this will put him into 6.25M+ territory.

If Bernier plays well enough to deserve a long term contract at 6.25 I think most of us are going to have a very enjoyable winter. Cap space can be managed, hopefully.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
If Bernier plays well enough to deserve a long term contract at 6.25 I think most of us are going to have a very enjoyable winter. Cap space can be managed, hopefully.

I absolutely disagree with you

We finished 8th last with berny posting a season well worthy of your deal.

He could infact post a season like last, earn that contract and we still have a miserable winter, like last year.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

He could infact post a season like last, earn that contract and we still have a miserable winter, like last year.

Bernier is RFA after this season the only way he gets a huge deal like that is if both he and the team have a very successful season. If it's somethin similar to last season Id expect another one or two year deal at 4 to 5 per.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Burn yeah !

Bernier is certainly on a roll.
He looks 100% healthy .... or ... more he's playing so well, he must be 100% ?

I was worried his knee and groin might be serious injuries.

I feel better :)

Bernier is RFA after this season the only way he gets a huge deal like that is if both he and the team have a very successful season. If it's somethin similar to last season Id expect another one or two year deal at 4 to 5 per.

6.25 mil per is big bucks.
That would take a VERY big chunk of the $20 million the Leafs have to spend.
Hopefully he plays @8 mil per, but the Leafs only need to pay $5 mil :)

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
lol bernier is not making 6.25

You are right. If this keeps up for another 40 games, he's looking at a lot more than that if the Leafs want a long term deal. Leafs might have to get rid of Reimer to get under the cap next season.

Short term will likely be ~4.5 over 2-3 years.

CalgaryLeaf*

Yeah he's playing like a top 10 goalie this year...His save percentage is above .920 and he often get's shelled with over 40 shots a game...My biggest concern with Bernie is for him to stay healthy an entire season.

Bluejaysfan*

Actually we finished 8th last with Bernier getting injured in the second half and Reimer being terrible in net. For much of the year when Bernier was healthy, the Leafs were in the 2nd or 3rd spot in the Atlantic division. The Leafs collapse was right after Bernier went down with injury.

hockeyfanz*

10ish and still improving sounds about right to me.

Without a doubt the MVP of this team. With Bernier all season, I think the Leafs are a playoff team. Without him, probably not. I'd say Bernier has the potential to be a top 5 goalie in the NHL and top 10 for him presently is fair.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Top 10 no but neither is Luongo.

I would boot out Luongo and put Schneider and Bernier as better goalies but until you win a playoff round, no he isn`t top 10 yet.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Bernie is the freaking man, and I'm glad Reim Time is playing great as well. Love it when the Leafs have tenders.

On another note, I found out today that Nelson Mandela was named an honorary globetrotter. So maybe Bernier has outsmarted us all since Day 1.

GO LEAFS GO

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Bernier is progressing nicely as a #1 goalie. He just has to cut down on the five hole goals against!

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I would boot out Luongo and put Schneider and Bernier as better goalies but until you win a playoff round, no he isn`t top 10 yet.

Last year, in goalies with >30 starts.
He was 7th in save%.

1 Tuukka Rask BOS .930
2 Semyon Varlamov COL .927
3 Carey Price MTL .927
4 Anton Khudobin CAR .926
5 Ben Bishop TBL .924
6 Sergei Bobrovsky CBJ .923
7 Jonathan Bernier TOR .923
8 Ben Scrivens LAK, EDM .922
27 Reimer TOR .911

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Without a doubt the MVP of this team. With Bernier all season, I think the Leafs are a playoff team. Without him, probably not. I'd say Bernier has the potential to be a top 5 goalie in the NHL and top 10 for him presently is fair.

Without a doubt, doesn't get enough credit for it either.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
10th is probably pretty close to fair.

He's been very consistent, right now on his third straight year with a save % of .922+ (granted small sample size in two of those years). But to really push towards that top 5, he needs to have a Vezina nomination calibre season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad