Jonathan Bernier - 10th best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
@kevin_mcgran: Bernier 10th “@drosennhl: The top 14 goalies, as ranked by @cmasisak22, @BComptonNHL, @ArponBasu and yours truly. http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=729530

Thoughts? Where would you rank him? Personally, last season, without him, we are drafting Reinhart/Ekblad. He carried his pretty much all season.

Hopefully we give him more support this season.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
@kevin_mcgran: Bernier 10th “@drosennhl: The top 14 goalies, as ranked by @cmasisak22, @BComptonNHL, @ArponBasu and yours truly. http://t.co/akICl03cJdâ€

Thoughts? Where would you rank him? Personally, last season, without him, we are drafting Reinhart/Ekblad. He carried his pretty much all season.

Link doesn't want to work for me.
And considering he isn't 100% the starter...I doubt he's that high.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Of the four guys who made the list, Bernier got the
Following votes

9,Not Ranked, 10, 9

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Personally, I think he needs another season to prove he is 100% legit before he could move up further. Same goes for Bishop and Varlamov especially.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
#10 is about right imo. could sky-rocket into top 5-8ish by end of season tho

Last edited:

MrLegend28*

Bernier is a top 7 goalie even without starting. hes got the skill + additional potential.

Henrik, Quick, Rask, Price, Bob? then it becomes a matter of opinion.

Ace88*

He's in the same boat as Varlamov and Bishop, young goalies ready to hit their primes who really only have one excellent season under their belts. If they can repeat last year's performances then all three will vault fairly clearly into the top 10.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Bernier is a top 7 goalie even without starting. hes got the skill + additional potential.

He's in the same boat as Varlamov and Bishop, young goalies ready to hit their primes who really only have one excellent season under their belts. If they can repeat last year's performances then all three will vault fairly clearly into the top 10.

I agree with you guys. There is a clear elite group at the top end then a group of young guys just starting to break out. Bernier fits into that group, and other than that the order is just opinion.

TheThrill81*

@kevin_mcgran: Bernier 10th “@drosennhl: The top 14 goalies, as ranked by @cmasisak22, @BComptonNHL, @ArponBasu and yours truly. http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=729530

I'm glad to see we're not overrating our players.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm glad to see we're not overrating our players.

I'm assuming this is sarcasm, but, how did I overrate him?

Do you think we'd be better/the same without him? He got hurt for 3 weeks and we went from a playoff spot to drafting 8th overall. If there was another week or two, we are likely around 5th.

Without him we freefalled

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Bernier at 10 is correct. He's a fairly unproven goalie who had a great season and SHOULD move up by the end of next season.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

Bob/Schneider/Varlamov/Bishop/Bernier (might be forgetting someone else) fit into that next tier, all can move up into top 5, and of course some can drop.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Kessel rated 4th R/W no other leafs made the top 14 but Bernier is Top 10 and that's Good, he is a top Goal Tender.

satyr9

Sep 20, 2009
Can't make him top 5. Can't drop him from top 15. I can see an argument for literally anywhere in between.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I hope he can cement himself in that Rask/Price/Quick category in the next couple of years. Definitely seems to have the potential.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Kessel rated 4th R/W no other leafs made the top 14 but Bernier is Top 10 and that's Good, he is a top Goal Tender.

JVR shouldve made top 14 LW. Sedin, Nash on that list is laughable...

JVR is in about the same tier as E.Kane/Skinner

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

Not going to discuss Bernier but these lists have been awful all summer.

Compton has Bishop at 14 with Crawford at 5

Masisak has Gibson at 14. WTF

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
10 is too high for a goalie that's never played 60 games in a single season, guys like Miller/Lehtonen/Smith/Howard/Crawford/Luongo, should all be ahead of Bernier at this point based on pedigree and the fact there proven to be that good year after year, this list is to much what have you done for me lately imo, all those guys should also be ahead of Bishop imo, one good year doesn't make a goalie a top 10 goalie in the league you need to have back to back starting season's to show your that good imo. people were probably saying this same type of stuff after the year Holtby had a couple years ago or Anderson had a couple of years ago fact is neither could sustain it because they weren't that good.

let me also just say that I've been a Bernier fan since he played in Lewiston, and wanted the leafs to trade for him 2-3 years before they did, as I believe he will be a very good #1 goalie in the league, but make him prove it first.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
10 is too high for a goalie that's never played 60 games in a single season, guys like Miller/Lehtonen/Smith/Howard/Crawford/Luongo, should all be ahead of Bernier at this point based on pedigree and the fact there proven to be that good year after year, this list is to much what have you done for me lately imo, all those guys should also be ahead of Bishop imo, one good year doesn't make a goalie a top 10 goalie in the league you need to have back to back starting season's to show your that good imo. people were probably saying this same type of stuff after the year Holtby had a couple years ago or Anderson had a couple of years ago fact is neither could sustain it because they weren't that good.

let me also just say that I've been a Bernier fan since he played in Lewiston, and wanted the leafs to trade for him 2-3 years before they did, as I believe he will be a very good #1 goalie in the league, but make him prove it first.

you dont rate a players ability based on their "pedigree"

give me the goalie who will perform the best in the future, not the ones who did in the past

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
you dont rate a players ability based on their "pedigree"

give me the goalie who will perform the best in the future, not the ones who did in the past

the one I expect to play at a certain level is the guy whose done it for 2-3-4-5 seasons in the past not the guy whose done it once.

Edit: if Goalie A plays 5 straight years(60+ games) at 2.50 GAA and 920 SV% and goalie B has never played 60 games but put up 2.45 GAA 925 SV% in 55 games, B is not better then A.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad