Value of: Jonatan Berggren

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Except he's waiver eligible and not many teams are going to play him in the top 6 right now, including the team that has him. This means that he's going to have to establish himself in a bottom 6 role.. thus the "his coach is playing Austin Czarnik over him" is relevant.

A bottom team like SJ or ANA or CHI might be interested but don't see teams like that preferring to deal a prospect instead of a player or pick (which is the OP's preference). At least not legitimate prospects. He's similar to a guy like Fagemo this past year and to a lesser extent, Tolvanen last year. If he can't be useful in a bottom 6 for DET they'll waive him. Someone will pick him up and we'll see what happens.

I can see teams hoping to jump the waiver line and offering. a pick for him, but that's about it... though I completely understand why DET would just hang onto him and give him a real shot next year if there are spots up for grabs.
He has one game left of being waiver exempt which is a big reason he isn't playing. Also he plays wing and Czarnik plays center.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I could see someone like Toronto or Tampa be interested, because they will need a middle 6 CHEAP forward in the coming years. Just don't know what they have to offer in return. I'd be looking at a team that needs a cheaper solution at the middle 6 forward position and wanting to offload a guy who might be due a raise that they can't afford, but Detroit could.

Someone like Nicolas Hague or Brett Howden with Vegas.
Depends on whether you have enough guys who can handle the defensive assignments and PK duties. Can he handle them as well?

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
If we can trade him in a package with our 1st+ I'm all for it if we
can land another legit top end center.

For other teams wondering he's as skilled as Fabbri or Sprong, if not more. Issue is his physical and defensive work is Sprong level or just a bit worse.

Another top 6 center ?? Isnt that why we got compher ?? To hold the spot until 2 top 10 picks danielson and kasper come up??

Much rather target a power forward . This team is too pussafied

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Currently the coach of the Wings (they are in a race for the playoffs) prefers to play AUSTIN CZARNIK rather than Bergreen, which says a lot...
It shows Lalonde is kind of an idiot yes, which is getting to be the pretty common thought among most wings fans

Reactions: ItWasJustified

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Berggren is an offensive player and Czarnik is a defensive player. The Wings issue isn't offense this season, it is defense.
Czarnik isn't an defensive player. He's just a center. Being on the 4th line with Veleno gives them a right-handed and left-handed option for faceoffs should they get stuck in a matchup situation.

Reactions: 13to40 and Realgud

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
From an outside perspective, his skillset may be viewed as redundant with other smallish but better skilled wingers (DeBrincat, Raymond, Kane) already in the lineup? Then again if he's skilled enough and not forced into a grinding role I think he'd do well, and if we didn't have Hoglander already I would've liked to throw a 3rd to get him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
One of those prospects/player tweeners who is just worth more to the team that has them.

Nobody is gonna give up what he's worth to the team if he figures it out.

Swap of similar on the fringe prospects at best.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Depends on whether you have enough guys who can handle the defensive assignments and PK duties. Can he handle them as well?

He has high IQ plus loads of talent, an absolute beast in the offensive zone - amazing vision with a great tool box. He is soft in the defensive zone. A bit frustrating.

He could be a phenomenal player if he applied himself in the D-zone as much as he does in the O-zone. If he did that, this trade thread wouldn't exist.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
He has high IQ plus loads of talent, an absolute beast in the offensive zone - amazing vision with a great tool box. He is soft in the defensive zone. A bit frustrating.

He could be a phenomenal player if he applied himself in the D-zone as much as he does in the O-zone. If he did that, this trade thread wouldn't exist.
Well that sure is some strong language

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Well that sure is some strong language
I get to watch him in the AHL. He's always driving the play in the offensive zone. He was on a nice point streak in Detroit before being sent down in December. 5 points in 8 games; he makes things happen! Those weren't "lucky" points.... those points were a direct result from his skill and vision.

He leaves a lot to be desired in the d-zone. And he's soft.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I get to watch him in the AHL. He's always driving the play in the offensive zone. He was on a nice point streak in Detroit before being sent down in December. 5 points in 8 games; he makes things happen! Those weren't "lucky" points.... those points were a direct result from his skill and vision.

He leaves a lot to be desired in the d-zone. And he's soft.

Feels like he's just drifting toward a Sven Baertschi type trajectory. Without quite the draft pedigree.

Might be one of those guys who needs the wakeup call of a trade to focus more on rounding out his game, competing a little bit harder, and paying attention to his own end. Tough sort of player to trade for value though, because of that. If he doesn't jolt awake on those weaknesses, he's just a dime a dozen skilled "tweener" who doesn't do much for anyone. If he does...there's potential there. But how much do you really spend on that gamble?

Definitely feels like a change of scenery "swap for a similar but different prospect" candidate. Though i could also see Detroit wisely just hanging onto him and giving him an opportunity full time next year. If he figures it out...great! If not...you aren't necessarily burning huge irrecoverable value either. Might even still be able to recoup something small as a reclamation project.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
If we give away a good young player for peanuts after less than a full season's worth of games while regularly playing players like Perron I'm going to lose my shit

A team would be very smart to come along and buy low on Berggren right now.

I'd easily move a first for him. He's got career second liner written all over him to me. He hasn't gotten a real chance here and even then the production was there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad