Value of: Jonatan Berggren

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
23 years old , currently between AHL more than point per game and NHL .5 per game. For some reason on the bench now. If he is going to get traded I prefer prospect over pick or player

Reactions: Bijelo

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I'd rather keep him, let him play next season on a scoring line, then move him if he isn't seen as a long term fit. He's hasn't had a real shot in the nhl yet and didn't look bad in limited minutes anyway. No point in trading him yet.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'd rather keep him, let him play next season on a scoring line, then move him if he isn't seen as a long term fit. He's hasn't had a real shot in the nhl yet and didn't look bad in limited minutes anyway. No point in trading him yet.
Same here but he's not playing AHL or NHL for now .

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Only reason to trade him is if he refuses to re-sign and Stevie decides to do him a favour.

Reactions: LarKing

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's a 2018 draft pick. If he requires waivers in 24/25, then he would not fetch much in return unless the acquiring team truly believes he can make it in the nhl.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
He's a 2018 draft pick. If he requires waivers in 24/25, then he would not fetch much in return unless the acquiring team truly believes he can make it in the nhl.

I'd say he's definitely a NHL player now which would be the reason he would not re-sign with the Wings at the end of the season unless they can convince him theres a spot up for grabs next year. The main reason he's not playing up until the latest call up has been because he's waiver exempt.

No one will regret trading for him unless they overpay obviously.

Reactions: Dempsey and lilidk

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I can only assume Berggren has more potential than shown in his numbers, since Montreal's closest match (Ylonen) is someone that I'm thinking won't get a qualifying offer.

I wonder if he could be a match for Justin Barron, slightly younger but also soon-to-be waiver eligible.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I can only assume Berggren has more potential than shown in his numbers, since Montreal's closest match (Ylonen) is someone that I'm thinking won't get a qualifying offer.

I wonder if he could be a match for Justin Barron, slightly younger but also soon-to-be waiver eligible.
Berggren has 6 points in 12 games this year and above PPG in the AHL, with multiple years of PPG seasons in the AHL. Ylonen has zero PPG AHL seasons and has 7 pts in 51 games this year. Even before that, Beeggren had a near PPG season in the SHL, which is better than Liiga , and Ylonen put up a high of 0.5ppg in that league. These are not the same level of player

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Berggren has 6 points in 12 games this year and above PPG in the AHL, with multiple years of PPG seasons in the AHL. Ylonen has zero PPG AHL seasons and has 7 pts in 51 games this year. Even before that, Beeggren had a near PPG season in the SHL, which is better than Liiga , and Ylonen put up a high of 22 pts in that league. These are not the same level of player
Montreal multiplier

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He’s probably worth a 2nd round pick so a prospect of similar caliber to a 2nd round pick.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
If we can trade him in a package with our 1st+ I'm all for it if we can land another legit top end center.

For other teams wondering he's as skilled as Fabbri or Sprong, if not more. Issue is his physical and defensive work is Sprong level or just a bit worse.

Reactions: Nevins and lilidk

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014

Barron has more value…..Detroit would have to add

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Currently the coach of the Wings (they are in a race for the playoffs) prefers to play AUSTIN CZARNIK rather than Bergreen, which says a lot...

Reactions: PelagicJoe

JUSTGIROUXIT

Apr 16, 2020
Barron has more value…..Detroit would have to add
No.
Currently the coach of the Wings (they are in a race for the playoffs) prefers to play AUSTIN CZARNIK rather than Bergreen, which says a lot...
Younger player, top 6 upside. Not gonna fit in playing a 4th line role which is what Czarnik is in the lineup to do.

Your knowledge says a lot...

Reactions: lilidk

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
No.

Younger player, top 6 upside. Not gonna fit in playing a 4th line role which is what Czarnik is in the lineup to do.

No....quite an argument.....I can tolerate your 2nd argument even if it is not very convincing..And unlike you, I didn't need to demean the other to justify my argument. Learn…

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
No....quite an argument.....I can tolerate your 2nd argument even if it is not very convincing..And unlike you, I didn't need to demean the other to justify my argument. Learn…
Berggren is an offensive player and Czarnik is a defensive player. The Wings issue isn't offense this season, it is defense.

Reactions: Bushay

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
No.

Except he's waiver eligible and not many teams are going to play him in the top 6 right now, including the team that has him. This means that he's going to have to establish himself in a bottom 6 role.. thus the "his coach is playing Austin Czarnik over him" is relevant.

A bottom team like SJ or ANA or CHI might be interested but don't see teams like that preferring to deal a prospect instead of a player or pick (which is the OP's preference). At least not legitimate prospects. He's similar to a guy like Fagemo this past year and to a lesser extent, Tolvanen last year. If he can't be useful in a bottom 6 for DET they'll waive him. Someone will pick him up and we'll see what happens.

I can see teams hoping to jump the waiver line and offering. a pick for him, but that's about it... though I completely understand why DET would just hang onto him and give him a real shot next year if there are spots up for grabs.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He’s probably worth a 2nd round pick so a prospect of similar caliber to a 2nd round pick.
I don't think with him requiring waivers that teams are giving out a 2nd for him. If he's full time NHL material in 24/25 the Wings should be keeping him over their 30 year olds.

Most likely a similar prospect who hasn't cracked another team's lineup in a straight swap or it's going to be a later round pick than a 2nd or 3rd for him.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Except he's waiver eligible and not many teams are going to play him in the top 6 right now, including the team that has him. This means that he's going to have to establish himself in a bottom 6 role.. thus the "his coach is playing Austin Czarnik over him" is relevant.

A bottom team like SJ or ANA or CHI might be interested but don't see teams like that preferring to deal a prospect instead of a player or pick (which is the OP's preference). At least not legitimate prospects. He's similar to a guy like Fagemo this past year and to a lesser extent, Tolvanen last year. If he can't be useful in a bottom 6 for DET they'll waive him. Someone will pick him up and we'll see what happens.

I can see teams hoping to jump the waiver line and offering. a pick for him, but that's about it... though I completely understand why DET would just hang onto him and give him a real shot next year if there are spots up for grabs.
Middle 6 not a thing anymore?

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
I could see someone like Toronto or Tampa be interested, because they will need a middle 6 CHEAP forward in the coming years. Just don't know what they have to offer in return. I'd be looking at a team that needs a cheaper solution at the middle 6 forward position and wanting to offload a guy who might be due a raise that they can't afford, but Detroit could.

Someone like Nicolas Hague or Brett Howden with Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad