Marner has reportedly hired private security and is refusing to speak with some members of the media

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
Big if true. I feel for the guy, being a star player on a team like the leafs isn't easy, it requires strong mental fortitude to take the abuse. Similarly it takes equally strong mental fortitude to play hard in the playoffs which is why he sucked. It requires godlike mental strength to let the haters roll off you like water. Which he doesn't have.

Assuming this is true, letting the fact he hired private security get out into public knowledge is a bad move. It lets the trolls know they have successfully gotten under his skin. Which means they'll continue to do it and even up the ante. If a bully, online or otherwise can facilitate a reaction, that's the worst thing. It's in his best interest to leave Toronto. He doesn't have it and never will imo. After the carjacking and now this, it's no wonder he is ready to crumble.

That said, f*** the media.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
You're celebrating a coordinated harrassment campaign against a player?

Do you see the irony? The same forces that make Marner waive also ensure the Leafs will never win a Stanley Cup. It's a cesspool of an environment that breeds choking and resentment.

You think that journalists reporting on professional athletes is harassment?

I’m sorry, I didn’t realize little jumped his fence and was taking pictures of him through his windows (oh sorry that was the Toronto Star and mayor Rob ford)

Marner and his agent created the environment. His agent for his comments before signing this deal and going for every penny and advantage that he could, putting Marner above the team and for Marner to underperform in the playoffs.

How much is Marner’s camp paying you to call this harassment?

Actually the NMC will restrict the market. The player will say no to any place he doesn’t want. And Marner could decide to play out his contract in Toronto and pick his new club as a UFA in July 2025. A player with a NMC controls everything.

It’s not hard to get a player to give a list of teams or to accept a trade somewhere

The player has some say, what they don’t have a say in is if the team wants to continue their relationship with them

Reactions: Heffyhoof

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

I’m sorry, I didn’t realize little jumped his fence and was taking pictures of him through his windows (oh sorry that was the Toronto Star and mayor Rob ford)

Marner and his agent created the environment. His agent for his comments before signing this deal and going for every penny and advantage that he could, putting Marner above the team and for Marner to underperform in the playoffs.

Don't you find it enjoyable that a Sens fan of all people is so concerned?

Like that first rate organization in Ottawa? Nice hire btw - Green will lead the club to heights previously never seen

You think they can shoot for 13th in the division?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

It’s not hard to get a player to give a list of teams or to accept a trade somewhere

The player has some say, what they don’t have a say in is if the team wants to continue their relationship with them
Marner has a no move. He’s not going to submit any list. If asked his agent will tell the Leafs one club. Then he will insist on negotiating an extension with that one club prior to any trade. Marner controls everything here. The Leafs would be foolish to trade him, considering these circumstances. It would be too similar to the Matt Tkatchuk trade. How did that work out for the Flames?

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
You're celebrating a coordinated harrassment campaign against a player?

Do you see the irony? The same forces that make Marner waive also ensure the Leafs will never win a Stanley Cup. It's a cesspool of an environment that breeds choking and resentment.
Not disagreeing that the media is awful, but...

The media is the same in Montreal, with an added language handicap, and yet they routinely overachieve in the playoffs.

The players are responsible for choking. Blaming anyone who hasn't stepped on the ice is ridiculous.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Has it ever been more obvious a team and player need to break up?

Even if the Leafs "lose" the trade, it doesn't mean they can't be successful down the road. Look at what the Bruins got for Thornton.

Reactions: MoneyManny

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
There are statues of players outside Scotiabank Arena of players that never won the cup. Pressure? LOL. All the fans want is just a couple of deep playoff runs every now and then. Don’t even need to win the cup in order to be considered “heroes”. What a toxic market, am I right?

Yeah, the toxic market that makes him say in a press conference how he's been treated like a god. What awful treatment that man has been through, someone please save him!

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
That's really unfortunate if true. At the end of the day this is only a game. Some people take things too far. I don't see how he's back next season now. Talk about a total distraction and constant media story all season long. It's time for a change of scenery for him and the team.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022

Even if the Leafs "lose" the trade, it doesn't mean they can't be successful down the road. Look at what the Bruins got for Thornton.
As a Leafs fan I'd just rather have the 11 million to sign defensemen this offseason. Marner for picks and prospect(s) sounds good to me

I donno why he'd want to stay either, it's not good for him, the fans or the team.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Marner has a no move. He’s not going to submit any list. If asked his agent will tell the Leafs one club. Then he will insist on negotiating an extension with that one club prior to any trade. Marner controls everything here. The Leafs would be foolish to trade him, considering these circumstances. It would be too similar to the Matt Tkatchuk trade. How did that work out for the Flames?

The thing that sucks about this, is that when you’re proven wrong, this thread will be locked, I’ll be given infractions for reminding you how wrong you were and everyone who agrees with you will say “bro that was so last year! No one cares anymore”

Just have a look at the Matthews v Stutzle poll

Reactions: Bust

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Nobody in Ottawa is happy about the Green hire, not even him.

What? You'd think Green would be ecstatic inking a four year deal.

As a Leafs fan I'd just rather have the 11 million to sign defensemen this offseason. Marner for picks and prospect(s) sounds good to me

I donno why he'd want to stay either, it's not good for him, the fans or the team.

Yeah, I don't care if he doesn't fetch a big haul. The team needs the cap space.

Reactions: Voight

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
This may be a good thing for Toronto, while Mitch is not much of a playoff performer, to work security you do have to be a big body and tough, maybe this could help the Leafs bottom 6 giving them more snot and grit while also giving them a nice net front presence on their playoff PP?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I think Leafs are destined to lose any trade involving Marner, I can see him benefitting from a change of scenery. He needs to be surrounded by a mature group with structure where every one is treated as equals If he goes to a team with this insulation. He will do very well. He had this with Babcock and Lou. Unfortunately for him Dubas treated his players with entitlement and a feeling they were special and entitled, yes Mitch like gods. When he finds out he is not, his game will take off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad