Prospect Info: Jonas Brodin (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Its good to see someone who has sense giving Brodin credit, tho i wish he did more of it during the year not when voting ended.

Billy Mays Here*

Gonna be tough, but he has all of next season to prove himself even more so yes, it's not impossible.

D-men who are locks to be on Team Sweden:

Karlsson
OEL
Kronwall
Edler
Hedman

That's 5 guys already who Brodin won't be beating out quite yet.

D-men who he'll be competing against for the final couple spots:

Enstrom
Hjalmarsson
Larsson
Oduya
Ericsson
Gunnarsson
Klefbom?
Lindholm?

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
He can absolutely challenge Edler for the spot, but I think it comes down to him and Carl Gunnarsson (assuming that's not Daniel? :D).

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If he makes team Sweden as a 19 year old then you KNOW he got snubbed as rookie of the year.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
injuries might get him a spot. i don't think Team Sweden is like Canada in that they take only point producers so he could make it as a shut down guy.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
He is a top five Swedish defenseman in the nhl he is going to make the team as a 2nd pairing shutdown player, first pairing should be OEL and Karlsson

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He is a top five Swedish defenseman in the nhl he is going to make the team as a 2nd pairing shutdown player, first pairing should be OEL and Karlsson

Karlsson is a pure offensive D, OEL is also more of an offensive guy. They will probably be paired with defensive guys. I would love to see Brodin with Karlsson, two of the best skating D in the world I'd say. Brodin would be on my team, he has just excelled on every level so far. His biggest issue is his age, I think MÃ¥rts might want some more experience on the blue line.

BTW, he just finished 4th in the Calder votings.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Karlsson is a pure offensive D, OEL is also more of an offensive guy. They will probably be paired with defensive guys. I would love to see Brodin with Karlsson, two of the best skating D in the world I'd say. Brodin would be on my team, he has just excelled on every level so far. His biggest issue is his age, I think MÃ¥rts might want some more experience on the blue line.

BTW, he just finished 4th in the Calder votings.

Brodin played in the WC as an 18 year old, with one year of NHL play under his belt and half of one next year I think short of a tough season he'll be on the team.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Gonna be tough, but he has all of next season to prove himself even more so yes, it's not impossible.

D-men who are locks to be on Team Sweden:

Karlsson
OEL
Kronwall
Edler
Hedman

That's 5 guys already who Brodin won't be beating out quite yet.

D-men who he'll be competing against for the final couple spots:

Enstrom
Hjalmarsson
Larsson
Oduya
Ericsson
Gunnarsson
Klefbom?
Lindholm?

During the World Championships Hedman was practically benched while Brodin took all of his minutes..Brodin was getting like 18-19 minutes and Hedman like 10 if I recall correctly..I think he will beat out Hedman.

I would say out of Hjalmarsson, Enstrom, Larsson, Oduya,... thats a pretty tough group to beat out. In 2-3 years he beats them all but right now?? Im not sure.

Last edited:

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
As far as I can tell, Brodin hit $637,500 in bonuses for hitting (defensemen thresholds) top-4 ice time, top-3 plus-minus, top-2 blocked shots. The NHL hasn’t announced the All-Rookie team yet (to be determined as to when), but if Brodin is named to it, he can get another $212,500 and make the max $850,000 in “A” bonuses under an entry-level contract.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/211976351.html

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Niether Oduya nor Hjalmarsson are better than Brodin. yeesh.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Brodin may very well seem to be better than some of SWE's defensemen but I think he will not make it anyway.

Kronwall - Ericsson
Oduya - Hjalmarsson

Those are two pairs who play together already and it is very possible that SWE will use that seeing as they will not have time to train together before the tournament.

Bar injuries OEL and Karlsson are obviously locks and then it could come down to 7th D where he'd be up against Gustafsson, Edler, Hedman, etc. Although if Edler is suspended for the 3 first games he will not make the team, there are too many other quality players for him to be an option.

I hope he makes it since he has shown in the past that he is very good at adapting to new situations (i.e. new D-partners) and he was also very good the last time he played with the national team.

One thing that most forget here is that Gustafsson was the best D-man, by far, on Sweden this WHC... I know most don't believe it but I seriously doubt that Marts will leave him out after that performance.

Best, somewhat realistic, scenario imo:
OEL - Karlsson
Kronwall - Ericsson
Oduya - Hjalmarsson
Brodin or Gustafsson

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Brodin may very well seem to be better than some of SWE's defensemen but I think he will not make it anyway.

Kronwall - Ericsson
Oduya - Hjalmarsson

Those are two pairs who play together already and it is very possible that SWE will use that seeing as they will not have time to train together before the tournament.

Bar injuries OEL and Karlsson are obviously locks and then it could come down to 7th D where he'd be up against Gustafsson, Edler, Hedman, etc. Although if Edler is suspended for the 3 first games he will not make the team, there are too many other quality players for him to be an option.

I hope he makes it since he has shown in the past that he is very good at adapting to new situations (i.e. new D-partners) and he was also very good the last time he played with the national team.

One thing that most forget here is that Gustafsson was the best D-man, by far, on Sweden this WHC... I know most don't believe it but I seriously doubt that Marts will leave him out after that performance.

Best, somewhat realistic, scenario imo:
OEL - Karlsson
Kronwall - Ericsson
Oduya - Hjalmarsson
Brodin or Gustafsson

Oduya, Ericsson and Hjalmarsson are NOT better than him. He's already an NHL top 2 d-man, he's proven himself. He will be in Sweden's top 4.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
LoL he´s not a top2 defenceman yet. Don´t get ahead of yourself.

Brodin would have been on the 1st pairing for many teams in the NHL this year including the Red Wings where he would have played with Kronwall. Brodin plays either side so his partner isn't limited by handedness like most of our other D this year have been.

OEL-Karlsson
Kronwall-Brodin
Oduya-Hjalrmersson

Is my best guess for the pairing. Of course this is assuming Brodin keeps on his development path and doesn't regress.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Oduya, Ericsson and Hjalmarsson are NOT better than him. He's already an NHL top 2 d-man, he's proven himself. He will be in Sweden's top 4.

That wasn't the point, although I do think you are getting ahead of yourself a bit when it comes to Brodin (despite him being one of my favorite players).

Chemistry is always important and especially when going into the Olympics where you have no time to train / play together before. Even if you consider Brodin better than Ericsson, Hjalmarsson and Oduya you have to see the point of having a defense pair who already know each other well. For example I would take Hedman ahead of Oduya, Hjalmarsson and Ericsson individually but I think that SWE will prefer taking the a ready pair ahead of Hedman.

We'll see what happens and I really hope Brodin makes it, but Kronwall/Ericsson, Oduya/Hjalmarsson and the fact that Gustafsson was the no 1 D in the WHC makes is much more difficult than some people seem to appreciate. Brodin has an outside chance at making the team if he manages to keep up, or improve, his level of play from this year during the fall.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Brodin would have been on the 1st pairing for many teams in the NHL this year including the Red Wings where he would have played with Kronwall. Brodin plays either side so his partner isn't limited by handedness like most of our other D this year have been.

OEL-Karlsson
Kronwall-Brodin
Oduya-Hjalrmersson

Is my best guess for the pairing. Of course this is assuming Brodin keeps on his development path and doesn't regress.

He probably would have been 1st pair for many teams but for the Olympic team apart from being up against these "ready" pairings + WHC-favorite Gustafsson he is also up against other 1st pair defensemen in Edler and Hedman. If you overestimate his chances like this I think you'll most probably be disappointed. I think your best guess should be labeled best case scenario for a Brodin fan. I wish your are right but the realist in me says it will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad