Former Bruins Jon Casey

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Before my time, but I was reading some articles (which are paywalled) that when John Blue emerged, Sutter basically said that there was no guarantee that Moog was going back into the net.

(This must have been after Lemelin retired)

From what I remember, wasn’t Moog going through some personal stuff with his dad dying?

Sounds like perhaps Sutter and Bruce Cassidy may have been cut from the same cloth?
Yes and no, Sutter would have stuffed Lady Byng into a locker and left him there. Sutter also called out his players to their faces unlike Cassidy who used the media. I don't think playing for either would be a lot of laughs.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! 2nd, I never knew that about Moog and Sutter. At the time, I was pissed that Sinden traded Moog for Casey. I liked Moog and the price they paid for him was steep (Ranford and Geoff Courtnal IIRC). So, I thought (Vezina not withstanding) that the trade sucked and was poor value.
It was Ranford and Courtnall, Courtnall and Cam had a lot of fun off the ice (mix in Byers with Neely in the 88 off season) and Sinden decided to move a fast, gritty 30 goal scorer because of it, he was also an upcoming free agent. There was a rumor in the 87-88 offseason that Sather wanted Crowder and Sinden said no.

Reactions: Gordoff

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
He stunk, the Capitals figured out his side to side movement in net was weak, with the Caps D it wasn't exposed, when he got to Boston it was exposed, quickly.

What a trade that was Jason Allison, the best player in the deal, he wanted money so he was jettisoned, Anson Carter and Carey for Oates, Tocchet and Ranford. Harry at his finest.
Good read. As I said I was too young to remember his play.

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
In January 1994, my buddies and I drove up to Boston from LI for a game. I was pumped to see Neely for the first time in person. Unfortunately, his knee was pretty jacked up at that point so he sat out.

Next morning we decided to grab breakfast before heading home. My back was to the entrance. When I got up to leave I was shocked to see Neely, Don Sweeney, Glen Featherstone and Jon Casey sitting at the table behind me.

I was too nervous to approach the table and bother them while they were eating. One of my buddies grabbed my Neely jersey from the car, walked up to the table and explained that we came up from LI to see him and it sucked he was injured, how great he was, etc. and could he sign my jersey.

“I think you want that guy over there”

He’d given this whole Neely speech to Sweeney.

They apparently had a good laugh over it and Neely signed the jersey and we had a good story to tell our friends back home.

Anyway, Jon Casey was at the table at it is a great memory.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Hell, I was at this game. ‘74. Jacque Plantes first game as a Bruin. Shutout Hawks 4-0.

IMG_0973.jpeg

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He stunk, the Capitals figured out his side to side movement in net was weak, with the Caps D it wasn't exposed, when he got to Boston it was exposed, quickly.

What a trade that was Jason Allison, the best player in the deal, he wanted money so he was jettisoned, Anson Carter and Carey for Oates, Tocchet and Ranford. Harry at his finest.

Along with not firing Kasper, this sealed the deal for the Bruins to finish last and pick Joe Thornton.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Awful trade. Sutter’s time as Bruins coach was to say the least a disaster. Past the first round once in 5 years. Awful. I had read that he had some conditioning things he wanted Moog to do and Moog wasn’t interested, then the off season trade. We went from Reggie and Moog to Casey and…..(fill in the multiple blanks). Hard to believe. I can remember Casey making some big saves vs Montreal and NJ in ‘94…..but he struck me at times as being waaaaaaaaaaay out of position too often to go with his five hole issues.
Before my time, but I was reading some articles (which are paywalled) that when John Blue emerged, Sutter basically said that there was no guarantee that Moog was going back into the net.

(This must have been after Lemelin retired)

From what I remember, wasn’t Moog going through some personal stuff with his dad dying?

Sounds like perhaps Sutter and Bruce Cassidy may have been cut from the same cloth?
IIRC Moog was also a power player in the NHLPA and they'd just come off the 1992 Strike, so Harry was happy to get him out of town.

Sutter was a mistake. In 1992 that team was really injured and had a ton of young players being integrated onto the roster, and they were running through the walls for Rick Bowness. But Harry was threatened by a popular and independent coach and dumped him as soon as Sutter became available. If they keep Bowness in 1993, we might be talking about a cup winner.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Sutter was a mistake. In 1992 that team was really injured and had a ton of young players being integrated onto the roster, and they were running through the walls for Rick Bowness. But Harry was threatened by a popular and independent coach and dumped him as soon as Sutter became available. If they keep Bowness in 1993, we might be talking about a cup winner.

Some kind of imagination you got there.

Under Bowness the Bruins were an 84-point team. The next season under Sutter they were 109-point team.

No one at that time felt Bowness was in the same league as Sutter as a coach.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I started following hockey in 1995, I remember that season well. I've seen a lot of the 1988-1993 era. But 1994 seems to be a black hole where there's practically no clips of that year on youtube. So likewise I remember Lacher and Moog well but never saw Jon Casey play, i just remember him on NHL 95 for SNES. I've always been curious as to how they went up 2-0 on the road against NJ and let it get away.

And if I'm not mistaken, didn't the Bruins get out of the first round because Patrick Roy had to get his appendix out and missed a game?
Casey outplayed Roy in the series, especially in Games 6 and 7. Iafrate scored the winner in Montreal in Game 6, 3-2 Broons, IIRC. In Game 7 at the Gahden, the Bs went ahead 5-1, winning 5-3. Casey again was stellar. Casey played very well in the first 2 games in NJ. They only scored 9 goals the last 4 games. Not having Neely was a killer. Daneyko took out his knee with a dirty check late in the regular season.

Under Bowness the Bruins were an 84-point team. The next season under Sutter they were 109-point team.

Can't argue with your numbers. And yet in each of Sutter's 3 years, they were out of gas at the start of the playoffs. They won 1 playoff series in Sutter's 3 years, not running out of gas until halfway through the 2nd series.

Under Bowness, they made the conference finals.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Casey outplayed Roy in the series, especially in Games 6 and 7. Iafrate scored the winner in Montreal in Game 6, 3-2 Broons, IIRC. In Game 7 at the Gahden, the Bs went ahead 5-1, winning 5-3. Casey again was stellar. Casey played very well in the first 2 games in NJ. They only scored 9 goals the last 4 games. Not having Neely was a killer. Daneyko took out his knee with a dirty check late in the regular season.

Can't argue with your numbers. And yet in each of Sutter's 3 years, they were out of gas at the start of the playoffs. They won 1 playoff series in Sutter's 3 years, not running out of gas until halfway through the 2nd series.

Under Bowness, they made the conference finals.

All true, in hindsight.

But at the time getting Sutter was a no brainer.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
All true, in hindsight.

But at the time getting Sutter was a no brainer.
Again, before my time.

But Bowness makes the conference finals his first season and gets canned?

If only this place had existed back then.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Awful trade. Sutter’s time as Bruins coach was to say the least a disaster. Past the first round once in 5 years. Awful. I had read that he had some conditioning things he wanted Moog to do and Moog wasn’t interested, then the off season trade. We went from Reggie and Moog to Casey and…..(fill in the multiple blanks). Hard to believe. I can remember Casey making some big saves vs Montreal and NJ in ‘94…..but he struck me at times as being waaaaaaaaaaay out of position too often to go with his five hole issues.

Casey gets some what of a bad rap. He had a decent NHL career, including being selected for the 1993 NHL All Star game.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

I can second that. Coming off the O'Reilly / Milbury years, the team under Bowness was flat and Bowness seemed to be in over his head.

I believe they swept the Habs in the playoffs in Bowness' first year when Roy had an uncharactaristicly bad playoff series. But the team was not competitive like the 88-92 teams were.

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
Sutter was a one note coach. His solution to everything was play/work harder. He burned through his teams through the regular season leaving little to nothing for the playoffs.

I loved Andy Moog he was such a fierce competitor. "Tiny but mighty" :nod:
Agreed. I loved Moog! You see video of Moog and compare him to the size of the goalies today……you wonder how he did it????

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I can second that. Coming off the O'Reilly / Milbury years, the team under Bowness was flat and Bowness seemed to be in over his head.

I believe they swept the Habs in the playoffs in Bowness' first year when Roy had an uncharactaristicly bad playoff series. But the team was not competitive like the 88-92 teams were.

Well his team beat Montreal that year with no Neely and Ray Boutique missed G3\4 in
the sweep of Montreal and made it to the Conf Finals. I would say he did a good job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad