Former Bruins Jon Casey

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
File this under me being bored.

I turned 38 today and, in gearing up for the upcoming Bruins season, am thinking back on my youth.

In addition to watching the team growing up, I largely learned the players from video games (Sega Genesis), trading cards, and the yearly NHL Encyclopedia.

I remember the Bruins of my youth being a revolving door at goaltender and at coach.

Today, I bring forward for discussion one Jon Casey.

I have very few memories of the Andy Moog/Reggie Lemelin tandem. My first somewhat vague memory of watching was “May Day”.

My understanding is that Brian Sutter and Moog did not get along. The relationship broke down. Bruins swap Moog for the younger Jon Casey.

Casey was one and done with the Bruins.

Was this just a matter of Blaine Lacher being the next guy?

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023

I turned 38 today and, in gearing up for the upcoming Bruins season, am thinking back on my youth.

In addition to watching the team growing up, I largely learned the players from video games (Sega Genesis), trading cards, and the yearly NHL Encyclopedia.

I remember the Bruins of my youth being a revolving door at goaltender and at coach.

I have very few memories of the Andy Moog/Reggie Lemelin tandem. My first somewhat vague memory of watching was “May Day”.

My understanding is that Brian Sutter and Moog did not get along. The relationship broke down. Bruins swap Moog for the younger Jon Casey.

It was all a twisted plan to provide this guy with fodder that would be able to rival "Red Light Racicot".

From NEHJ:

Dupont has been on the Bruins and NHL beat for 30 years, the last 23 with the Globe. His connections, institutional knowledge and writing ability set him apart. He is so good, the Bruins have used a phrase Dupont coined — “The Hub of Hockey” — as a marketing slogan. (Of course, the B’s never did bite on “Blaine ‘Let ‘Em In’ Lacher” or “Jon Casey and the Amazing Technicolor Five Hole.”)

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Hahaha same for me, Smith. Just a different time frame. I’m turning 30 this year. The big 3-0. They’ve all been downhill since 21 :laugh: just another year older, now.

I loved Samsonov. NHL 2004 — Heatkey on the cover. is my first intro to hockey video games. Pretty good first game haha. I still remember winning Stanley Cups, the epic video at the end celebrating your team. Decorating your office. I was on Xbox.

That and hockey cards. I put all my bruins in a collection. I love going through and seeing all the old and obscure bruins.

I don’t remember Jon Casey but it’s so cool to reminisce on these things. My earlier goaltending memories are guys like Dafoe, Shields, Hackett, Potvin, Toivonen. Haha

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
i think i remember us outshooting the habs like 60-18 one pkayoff gamevwith casey in net and we lost in overtime.
guy was a seive. reminded me of jim carey

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Hahaha same for me, Smith. Just a different time frame. I’m turning 30 this year. The big 3-0. They’ve all been downhill since 21 :laugh: just another year older, now.

I loved Samsonov. NHL 2004 — Heatkey on the cover. is my first intro to hockey video games. Pretty good first game haha. I still remember winning Stanley Cups, the epic video at the end celebrating your team. Decorating your office. I was on Xbox.

That and hockey cards. I put all my bruins in a collection. I love going through and seeing all the old and obscure bruins.

I don’t remember Jon Casey but it’s so cool to reminisce on these things. My earlier goaltending memories are guys like Dafoe, Shields, Hackett, Potvin, Toivonen. Ha

I don’t remember Jon Casey but it’s so cool to reminisce on these things. My earlier goaltending memories are guys like Dafoe, Shields, Hackett, Potvin, Toivonen. Haha
How about Ryabchikov (spelling ?)

I remember Blaine "The Lach Nets Monster" Lacher was supposed to be the one

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I remember Jon "Technicolor Five Hole" Casey.
And the hack who gave him that stupid name. And the guy is still a hack. Read his column in the globe and tell me otherwise.

How about Ryabchikov (spelling ?)

I remember Blaine "The Lach Nets Monster" Lacher was supposed to be the one
DuPont supplied that moniker as well. And when things went sour, DuPont rechristened him "Let 'em in Lacher."

What a guy.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Saw him play in Portland.

Very foggy night, and I remember my dad getting pulled over for speeding on the drive home.
I remember my old man being all excited the Bruins acquired him since he had just won the Vezina, but that's it. I don't remember him playing at all, but yeah he ended up playing 10 games.

I was also 7 years old lol.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

What I could never understand was why Casey was never able to fix his "five hole" issue?

First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! 2nd, I never knew that about Moog and Sutter. At the time, I was pissed that Sinden traded Moog for Casey. I liked Moog and the price they paid for him was steep (Ranford and Geoff Courtnal IIRC). So, I thought (Vezina not withstanding) that the trade sucked and was poor value.

Last edited:

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! 2nd, I never knew that about Moog and Sutter. At the time, I was pissed that Sinden traded Moog for Casey. I liked Moog and the price they paid for him was steep (Ranford and Geoff Courtnal IIRC). So, I thought (Vezina not withstanding) that the trade sucked and was poor value.
Awful trade. Sutter’s time as Bruins coach was to say the least a disaster. Past the first round once in 5 years. Awful. I had read that he had some conditioning things he wanted Moog to do and Moog wasn’t interested, then the off season trade. We went from Reggie and Moog to Casey and…..(fill in the multiple blanks). Hard to believe. I can remember Casey making some big saves vs Montreal and NJ in ‘94…..but he struck me at times as being waaaaaaaaaaay out of position too often to go with his five hole issues.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
i think i remember us outshooting the habs like 60-18 one pkayoff gamevwith casey in net and we lost in overtime.
guy was a seive. reminded me of jim carey

Outshot 61-36.

Lost 2-1 to Patrick Roy.

Not really a good example, 2 goals allowed on 36 shots.

That one season was actually one of Casey's best. He was 30-15-9 during the regular season and beat the Canadiens in 7 games in the playoffs.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Awful trade. Sutter’s time as Bruins coach was to say the least a disaster. Past the first round once in 5 years. Awful. I had read that he had some conditioning things he wanted Moog to do and Moog wasn’t interested, then the off season trade. We went from Reggie and Moog to Casey and…..(fill in the multiple blanks). Hard to believe. I can remember Casey making some big saves vs Montreal and NJ in ‘94…..but he struck me at times as being waaaaaaaaaaay out of position too often to go with his five hole issues.
Before my time, but I was reading some articles (which are paywalled) that when John Blue emerged, Sutter basically said that there was no guarantee that Moog was going back into the net.

(This must have been after Lemelin retired)

From what I remember, wasn’t Moog going through some personal stuff with his dad dying?

Sounds like perhaps Sutter and Bruce Cassidy may have been cut from the same cloth?

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I remember Jon "Technicolor Five Hole" Casey.
Dupont is an excellent writer, but IMO, it is very unprofessional to make up derogatory nicknames such as this one.

All Casey did was outplay Patrick Roy in the 7-game series won by da Broons and play very well in the next series that they lost to NJ. He stole the first two in NJ in that series.

Dupont hated Casey because he wasn't as quotable as Moog. Not being quotable is a cardinal sin to Dupont.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Wasn’t the rumor that the Caps let the Bruins choose between Carey and Kolzig? Oops.

Never heard that before. (or don't remember hearing it)

Anyway, Carey was 22 years-old and the Caps number one goalie. Kolzig was 26 and the backup at that point. Bruins then traded for another ex-Cap first round pick, Byron Defoe, who became the Bruins number 1 goalie for the next 5 seasons.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Sutter was a one note coach. His solution to everything was play/work harder. He burned through his teams through the regular season leaving little to nothing for the playoffs.

I loved Andy Moog he was such a fierce competitor. "Tiny but mighty" :nod:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Never heard that before. (or don't remember hearing it)

Anyway, Carey was 22 years-old and the Caps number one goalie. Kolzig was 26 and the backup at that point. Bruins then traded for another ex-Cap first round pick, Byron Defoe, who became the Bruins number 1 goalie for the next 5 seasons.

A girl I was dating loved both Dafoe and Russel Crowe. I remember catching Dafoe outside the parking lot and getting him to sign a picture of Russel Crowe for her as a joke. He was a sport about it, but found it quite odd. And he was right.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I started following hockey in 1995, I remember that season well. I've seen a lot of the 1988-1993 era. But 1994 seems to be a black hole where there's practically no clips of that year on youtube. So likewise I remember Lacher and Moog well but never saw Jon Casey play, i just remember him on NHL 95 for SNES. I've always been curious as to how they went up 2-0 on the road against NJ and let it get away.

And if I'm not mistaken, didn't the Bruins get out of the first round because Patrick Roy had to get his appendix out and missed a game?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I started following hockey in 1995, I remember that season well. I've seen a lot of the 1988-1993 era. But 1994 seems to be a black hole where there's practically no clips of that year on youtube. So likewise I remember Lacher and Moog well but never saw Jon Casey play, i just remember him on NHL 95 for SNES. I've always been curious as to how they went up 2-0 on the road against NJ and let it get away.

And if I'm not mistaken, didn't the Bruins get out of the first round because Patrick Roy had to get his appendix out and missed a game?
Wow, a rare Al Iafrate appearance!

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I remember my old man being all excited the Bruins acquired him since he had just won the Vezina, but that's it. I don't remember him playing at all, but yeah he ended up playing 10 games.

I was also 7 years old lol.
He stunk, the Capitals figured out his side to side movement in net was weak, with the Caps D it wasn't exposed, when he got to Boston it was exposed, quickly.

What a trade that was Jason Allison, the best player in the deal, he wanted money so he was jettisoned, Anson Carter and Carey for Oates, Tocchet and Ranford. Harry at his finest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad