Speculation: Jokinen/Wallace on Waivers

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
multiple tweets saying canes have no intention of sending him down, that teams have shown interest and that if he clears still a good chance he gets traded though the team is hoping he gets picked up.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Adam Hall is taking his place. Adam Hall is the 4th line right wing. He does everything Tim Wallace does better than Tim Wallace (or at least he used to).

But why not have both? :dunno:

Whatever, agree to disagree. I'm interested to see what our 4th line looks like tonight.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
oh god, eklund has us on the front page headline - saying something is going on with us.

generally that means we are not even close to doing something but with a day like this going on....

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
This is utter nonsense. Tim Wallace rarely touches the ice against the players that the "soft goalscorers" play against, so how is he wearing them down? Are you seriously suggesting that the success of players like Staal and Semin is dependent even in the slightest on some 4th liner throwing a hit against the other team's 4th line and bottom pairing D?

Oh, so the 1st line always plays against 1st line, and 2nd against 2nd, etc.? Silly me for knowing nothing of hockey or team sports in general! :sarcasm:

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
oh god, eklund has us on the front page headline - saying something is going on with us.

generally that means we are not even close to doing something but with a day like this going on....

We trade for Riley Nash's brother, after we couldn't Olli Jokinen after all of these are trying to collect all families, we are going after other ones. Why we never picked up Jarko is beyond me.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Oh, so the 1st line always plays against 1st line, and 2nd against 2nd, etc.? Silly me for knowing nothing of hockey or team sports in general! :sarcasm:
No, but generally a team's 4th line isn't going to spend much time against the same players that his team's 1st line does, unless neither coach is matching lines.

Looking at the last game Wallace played, Eric's line played the bulk of their even strength shifts against the McDonagh-Girardi pairing---about 15 minutes out of 18 total. Tim Wallace played...1 minute against that pairing. I doubt that much wearing down was accomplished during this time. I don't see how Wallace hitting Anton Stralman helps Eric Staal score against Dan Girardi.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
No, but generally a team's 4th line isn't going to spend much time against the same players that his team's 1st line does, unless neither coach is matching lines.

Looking at the last game Wallace played, Eric's line played the bulk of their even strength shifts against the McDonagh-Girardi pairing---about 15 minutes out of 18 total. Tim Wallace played...1 minute against that pairing. I doubt that much wearing down was accomplished during this time. I don't see how Wallace hitting Anton Stralman helps Eric Staal score against Dan Girardi.

Actually, one nice solid hit can make a huge difference. Maybe it's odd to think of it from the perspective of the Canes doing it, but how often have we seen it happen to one of our players taking a big hit and then disappearing for the rest of the game?

But it also isn't just the 1st line that matters. On the Canes the 2nd and 3rd lines are supposed to be scoring lines as well. Not that they have really been lately, but that's beside the point. It's a general wearing down of the other team with physicality that is necessary, not just one line. Hockey is a team sport, after all.

Muller is trying to do something we haven't really seen since the Cup team, have a line that goes out and wears down the other team. That year it was the energy line with Adams-Adams-LaRose. Muller's vision is more of a big physical line than that one was, but a somewhat similar purpose. Having one player that is physical doesn't do that, else we wouldn't be considered such a soft team the last few years with a Cole or Ruutu on the team.

If what you said about the 4th line only playing against the other team's 4th line and bottom pairing is what really happened, then yes you are correct. But it isn't. Having a line like this isn't as important as scoring the goals in that they don't directly score the goals, but it is necessary to help in scoring more goals than you would without having a line like this. That's why you need to have role players like these on a successful, winning team.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Believe it or not, the difference between Hall and Wallace's hitting is nominal.

Wallace will deliver the bigger hit every so often but Hall is a very effective hitter and a pretty big guy too. In fact he led Tampa in hits a couple of years ago. To act like he won't bring any grit or a physical element is off-base.

The difference between Hall and Wallace in terms of hockey smarts, versatility and skill is quite large.

I'll take that tradeoff all day long.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Who is acting like that?

If there is a general agreement here, it's that Hall is just fine where he is.
I'm not going to name posters but check the prior page or two where a couple of posts suggest the absence of Wallace will leave no physical presence on the 4th line. I don't believe some know that much about what Hall brings.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
I'm not going to name posters but check the prior page or two where a couple of posts suggest the absence of Wallace will leave no physical presence on the 4th line. I don't believe some know that much about what Hall brings.

Actually, most of the posts I've read the past couple of pages haven't said anything negative about Hall, and nobody has said he doesn't bring a physical game plus more, just that most would prefer having both of them on the 4th line together. Don't know why it has to come down to one or the other? :dunno:

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Actually, most of the posts I've read the past couple of pages haven't said anything negative about Hall, and nobody has said he doesn't bring a physical game plus more, just that most would prefer having both of them on the 4th line together. Don't know why it has to come down to one or the other? :dunno:
First I simply pointed out it was a couple of posts. And never contended anyone said anything negative about Hall. But rather that some were implying that by losing Wallace the fourth line was losing its only physical forward. The point being that imo some don't see yet what Hall can bring in terms of a physical edge. Has nothing to do with one or the other.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
So I predict Edmonton or Boston picks up Jussi.

Why exactly couldn't we have traded him again?

I'm guessing, and this is just a wild guess - a complete and total shot in the dark - that either nobody wanted to trade for him at his current salary OR demanded we eat an equally bad contract in return. Just a hunch though.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I can see that. But $3m per is actually quite cheap nowadays. Maybe its the fact his deal runs thru next year too.

Anyways, good luck to him. He WILL get claimed.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00