Movies: Jojo Rabbit (2019)

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
This film won the audience award at TIFF. I'm a little surprised, as from initial reactions, it seemed like a film that could divide audiences. Good for Taika though. This may be one of the best cases of a director using the big Disney/Marvel machine to help his clout as a director to get an interesting film made and building a brand for themselves.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Taika is apart of a new wave of original and brilliant directors coming onto the scene in Hollywood.

Taika Waititi
Denis villeneuve
Alex Garland

To name a few

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Seems to be picking up mostly mixed reactions so far at TIFF. That might just be reactions of an older crowd, though.

Well it won the audience award so...

A lot of positive reviews have also pushed it to 75% Fresh at RT after 55 reviews.

IGN gave it 8.5

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well it won the audience award so...

A lot of positive reviews have also pushed it to 75% Fresh at RT after 55 reviews.

IGN gave it 8.5

Could have knocked me over with a feather. I must have run exclusively into nay sayers (one guy did like it a lot). Guess it's not that divisive after all. Be interesting to see what the Academy eventually makes of this.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The TIFF Audience Award isn't a guarantee, but it's track record at predicting best picture winners remains pretty good.

With all the talk of Disney dominating the industry at the box office since the merger, getting a best picture Oscar win on top of that in this year would be pretty interesting.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The TIFF Audience Award isn't a guarantee, but it's track record at predicting best picture winners remains pretty good.

With all the talk of Disney dominating the industry at the box office since the merger, getting a best picture Oscar win on top of that in this year would be pretty interesting.

It'd also help in keeping the Fox Searchlight brand alive and potentially encourage non-pg Marvel stuff to be released under a different banner.

Reactions: discostu

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
This film won the audience award at TIFF. I'm a little surprised, as from initial reactions, it seemed like a film that could divide audiences. Good for Taika though. This may be one of the best cases of a director using the big Disney/Marvel machine to help his clout as a director to get an interesting film made and building a brand for themselves.

I figured it’d be more likely to divide stupid ass critics than the audience.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's an interesting movie with much humour and some things to say, Terrific acting all around, especially by Roman Griffin Davis, the 10-year-old child who plays the lead character and carries the film on his back.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I've been wanting to see this but seems the theaters here in Ottawa are not showing it.

I'm hoping it does well in its limited release and gets expanded a bit over the next few weeks/months. It'll take strong award buzz to get to the theatre near me before they take a shot on it.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
This movie is fantastic. One of my favourite films of all time. Also, the trailers really don't tell you much about the film at all, which I love, but for that reason I also don't want to comment too much so people can unveil for themselves.

But so refreshing to go to a movie and not find the trailers told me everything already.

This movie is a lot more than lol Hitler is his imaginary friend and comedy ensues. Much, much more.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I'm hoping it does well in its limited release and gets expanded a bit over the next few weeks/months. It'll take strong award buzz to get to the theatre near me before they take a shot on it.

Seems like Landmark Cinemas in Canada will release it November 1st but no word on Cineplex yet.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I wouldn't worry about it getting a wider release unless suddenly distributors have lost their taste for making bushel loads of money. I think it is going to be a huge hit. People's Choice Award winners from TIFF seldom bomb at the box office, and people are really going to like this movie whether they get all its implications or not.

I mean, how many controversial movies have a 99% audience approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes?

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it getting a wider release unless suddenly distributors have lost their taste for making bushel loads of money. I think it is going to be a huge hit. People's Choice Award winners from TIFF seldom bomb at the box office, and people are really going to like this movie whether they get all its implications or not.

I mean, how many controversial movies have a 99% audience approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes?

I live in the GTA, so I technically have access to most smaller releases, but I have an 8 screen Cineplex right across the street from me.

90% of what I end up seeing, I see there, and being a very family oriented suburb, most screens are reserved for the blockbuster releases. It's lazy of me, but when you're getting a babysitter, the convenience of being right across the street is hard to beat.

member 51464

I had somehow not come across this film until a friend suggested we see it today.

Wow! It definitely could have gone off the rails, but the acting of the child lead was on point and I thought it was a pretty well done flick with a lot to say.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Got to see it for a second time last night. I like this movie so much. As others have said, this is not an easy film to make. It could go very wrong, very quick. But Taika kills it. He’s so good.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just watched it. Absolutely loved it. 9½/10. I think I almost had tears of joy when the credits began rolling. So funny and sad at the same time. That feeling when you've laughing your ass off and then Jojo finds him mom... :( Great acting all around from everyone in the cast.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Jussi, you might want to spoiler tag that.

Here's my review from the other day that I put in the Last Movie You Watched thread:
Osprey said:
Jojo Rabbit (2019) - 7/10 (Really liked it)

A 10-year-old aspiring Nazi (Roman Griffin Davis) has his loyalty to his country tested when he discovers a Jewish girl (Thomasin McKenzie) that his mother (Scarlett Johansson) is hiding in their home. I really wasn't sure if I'd like this and was very pleasantly surprised. The whole "imaginary Adolf Hilter" part of the film is actually smaller than I expected, which I was happy about, because those scenes didn't work so well for me. In fact, much of the more overt humor (like that and Rebel Wilson's character) didn't seem as funny to me as it was supposed to be, which was disappointing. Fortunately, there is a lot of subtle humor, too. Also, there are serious (and even powerful) moments and the film ends up being very touching, which I was not expecting and loved. The film is carried by the two young actors, especially Davis, who is quite amazing in his acting debut. Johansson was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her role, but, honestly, I'm not sure what the big deal is, though her performance is perfectly fine as far as the film is concerned. There are some points in the story that had me scratching my head and felt like plot holes, but they weren't enough to ruin it for me. Overall, I enjoyed the film more than I thought that I would. It's not the polarizing or niche film that it seemed from the trailers and clips, but more of a crowd pleasing one that most people should be able to find something to like about it.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

I saw it twice and felt it was more of a feel good movie with a positive message in light of the heavy subject matter. Taika deserves a ton of credit for this. Very risky movie to make but executed delicately. The movie doesn't glorify war. I feel it does the opposite. And all though it takes place during WW2 and in Nazi Germany it certainly doesn't glorify that dark part of history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad