Movies: Jojo Rabbit (2019)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The synopsis at Wikipedia makes some sense of it:
Lonely German boy Jojo "Rabbit" Betzler (Roman Griffin Davis) has his world view turned upside down when he discovers that his single mother Rosie (Scarlett Johansson) is hiding a young Jewish girl (Thomasin McKenzie) in their attic. Aided only by his idiotic imaginary friend, Adolf Hitler (Taika Waititi), Jojo must confront his blind nationalism.
It sounds like it might be about the boy being torn between competing influences: his mother representing his good nature and inclination to help others and an imaginary Hitler representing his sense of duty as a proud German, like good and bad angels whispering in opposite ears. That actually sounds interesting. I guess that the "rabbit" is a partial reference to Harvey the invisible rabbit, since Hitler is, similarly, an imaginary friend.

Last edited:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
The synopsis at Wikipedia makes some sense of it:

It seems like it's about the boy being torn between competing influences, his mother representing his good nature and inclination to help others and an imaginary Hitler representing his sense of duty as a proud German, like good and bad angels whispering in opposite ears. That actually sounds rather interesting. I guess that the "rabbit" is a partial reference to Harvey the invisible rabbit, since Hitler is, similarly, an imaginary friend to Jojo.

Hmmm... I had no idea what this story was going to be about, but that makes a lot more sense now.

Count me in on this one.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Taika Waititi's Jojo Rabbit Reportedly Has Disney Worried

With several of Fox's recent films, including Dark Phoenix and Stuber, making less than expected at the box office, the studio may be in trouble with its new parent company, Disney.

The highly-anticipated World War II satire by Taiki Waititi, Jojo Rabbit, may be a potential win for Fox, especially considering it is already expected to be a major contender in the awards circuit. However, an executive at Disney reportedly felt the film may be "too edgy" for Disney.

According to Variety, one of Disney's executives was noticeably uncomfortable during a screening of Jojo Rabbit, and even said the film would "alienate Disney fans."

There has been a lot of talk about this in the last day. I think it's been slightly overblown, as it's just one executive. My theory is also that this was leaked to get Disney ahead of any potential negative backlash. Then, for the people who complain about it, people can point and say.. "see, look, Disney thought the same!" That's just my take.

I am still very excited about this movie.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
This was recommended on Youtube and I had to check that it was the real channel. It is in fact the actual Fox Searchlight channel using the Hitler reaction meme as promotion for the movie:

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Seems to be picking up mostly mixed reactions so far at TIFF. That might just be reactions of an older crowd, though.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Seems to be picking up mostly mixed reactions so far at TIFF. That might just be reactions of an older crowd, though.

I expected critics to be very mixed on this movie just because of the subject alone. Feel like a lot of people are going into this movie looking to be offended by it.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I expected critics to be very mixed on this movie just because of the subject alone. Feel like a lot of people are going into this movie looking to be offended by it.

I am excited for this movie since What We Do in the Shadows is one of my favorite comedies of all time.

I am confused though, if you know what the movie is about, what is there really to be offended about? Its a genuine question. Or are people possibly offended because they don't know the premise of the movie yet?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I am excited for this movie since What We Do in the Shadows is one of my favorite comedies of all time.

I am confused though, if you know what the movie is about, what is there really to be offended about? Its a genuine question. Or are people possibly offended because they don't know the premise of the movie yet?

Not sure if I remember it correctly but I browsed quickly at some of the negative reviews at RT, seems some complained it was too "light" so maybe my initial reaction that Mel Brooks would have called this (based on the trailer) as "not putting in enough effort to offend people", is right. :laugh:

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Based on the trailers it looks like it's quirky for the sake of being quirky. Gave me big Moonrise Kingdom vibes too.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Scarlett Johansson is awful as an actress. I'll be skipping this one.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
what we do in the shadows, hunt for the wilderpeople and thor ragnarok are some of the best movies of the 2010s

have faith

Hunt for the Wilderpeople was great. I just saw this a few days ago. Jojo Rabbit trailer gave me the same vibe, same sort of filming style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad