Confirmed with Link: Johnny Hockey Signs with Columbus

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
People are just mad we couldn’t trade his rights and get any for Johnny even though if that did happen the return would’ve been underwhelming

Him leaving gave us nothing so i would take underwhelming over that. Hell I thought that MT wanting out would end up being very underwhelming giving the limited teams he was willing to sign long term with.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Him leaving gave us nothing so i would take underwhelming over that. Hell I thought that MT wanting out would end up being very underwhelming giving the limited teams he was willing to sign long term with.
I would not, personally, because we likely would've missed out on what was a very fun season.

We got Gaudreau for a fourth round pick and got a great return on that pick. If there was clarity and honesty going into this year and we kept him simply because the return wasn't worth it, so be it. He acted like our own rental acquisition, but we got him for free.

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
I’ll take the 115 point season he gave us and the division title over some middling prospects and picks that likely wouldn’t have ended up being as good as Johnny

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I've already moved on. It was nice to have him here and he will be missed but it's nice to be able to turn the page for the first time in nearly a decade

Reactions: TychoFan

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
There's no doubt in my mind that Johnny Gaudreau the person wanted to stay here and external pressures forced him out. Not that there is anything wrong with that based on circumstances, but in my heart of hearts I do believe Johnny wanted to be a Flame for life.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That was a cool article. It does seem indeed he was really torn and so close to coming back. That must have been so emotional for Treliving and Conroy to think they had him and he says he’s not coming back to then thinking maybe he still might sign.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Good article from Pat Steinberg. The most interesting thing he mentions is that the Flames and Johnny actually circled back with a 7x11 offer on FA day

NO! Johnny was using the Flames as leverage to escape Calgary with a better offer, even though he was a UFA who could name is price elsewhere!!!

Reactions: BRobMint

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Just looked up home prices in Columbus. I wonder if he'll buy a home there. I'd imagine so, otherwise is he commuting to Philly or the area? His wife I'm sure can move fairly easily in her career.

Anyway, though in American dollars, it looks to me there's a large market of mansions under 5 million. Even quite a few that I'd put in that category around 3 million. Outside of "one" home (listed at 47 million) he can pretty much buy anything - many with good-sized properties. Comparing it to Calgary's luxury home market the options seem more abundant and cheaper. I can't imagine being able to pick up one of the Columbus luxury homes for a pittance of his overall salary. He should be able to pay anything off immediately or at worst in a year or two. Happy for him and his family.

*Check out this bad boy at 8 million:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Just looked up home prices in Columbus. I wonder if he'll buy a home there. I'd imagine so, otherwise is he commuting to Philly or the area? His wife I'm sure can move fairly easily in her career.

Anyway, though in American dollars, it looks to me there's a large market of mansions under 5 million. Even quite a few that I'd put in that category around 3 million. Outside of "one" home (listed at 47 million) he can pretty much buy anything - many with good-sized properties. Comparing it to Calgary's luxury home market the options seem more abundant and cheaper. I can't imagine being able to pick up one of the Columbus luxury homes for a pittance of his overall salary. He should be able to pay anything off immediately or at worst in a year or two. Happy for him and his family.

Home prices are dirt cheap in Columbus compared to Calgary. Plus I believe you get to write off the interest paid on your mortgage.
The median house sale price in Columbus is $280,000 USD compared to Calgary's $457,000 USD.

Reactions: Tofveve

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

No one needs to buy a house that big though. It's just greedy and unnecessary.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

I like the pool though. The number of bathrooms and bedrooms is a little nuts however.

Home prices are dirt cheap in Columbus compared to Calgary. Plus I believe you get to write off the interest paid on your mortgage.
The median house sale price in Columbus is $280,000 USD compared to Calgary's $457,000 USD.

Yeah pretty crazy difference.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

It's beyond unnecessary. Just a nice single family house should be the max a person can own.

What are you? A member of the Communist Party of Canada?
If he has the money and wants to spend it on a huge house, or a yacht, or a Lamborghini.... let him... he earned it.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
What are you? A member of the Communist Party of Canada?
If he has the money and wants to spend it on a huge house, or a yacht, or a Lamborghini.... let him... he earned it.

But with how much inequality exists in today's society, why not offer to help idk eliminate poverty, hunger, violence, etc. with that money.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
But with how much inequality exists in today's society, why not offer to help idk eliminate poverty, hunger, violence, etc. with that money.
I guess you could put season's tickets to the Leafs in that category. Perhaps people should stop extravagantly spending money to watch a hockey game and give those thousands of dollars away to others. I mean, does Toronto really need a hockey team? Think of all those millions of dollars that fans spend watching sports in general in Toronto. What an extravagance! The city should demand pro sports in Toronto be shut down in order to stop people spending money on those teams. While we're at it, lets shut down all forms of entertainment in Toronto. People really shouldn't be spending money on expensive concert tickets in Toronto when others are poor, hungry, and victims of violence. The fact that people who buy those tickets worked hard for their money and should be allowed to spend it how they wish is no excuse. People really only need enough money for the basic necessities. Any extra should be confiscated and distributed to the masses.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
When did it become ok with dictate what other should do with their hard earned money? Why would i bother making 5m when i just live the same life as one making 100k and donate the rest.....

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
When did it become ok with dictate what other should do with their hard earned money? Why would i bother making 5m when i just live the same life as one making 100k and donate the rest.....

Well I guess my point is why do you even need that much money when 100K is more than enough to live comfortably? I just think we should all focus on helping one another rather than supporting greed. Anyways I'll stop at this.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Well I guess my point is why do you even need that much money when 100K is more than enough to live comfortably? I just think we should all focus on helping one another rather than supporting greed. Anyways I'll stop at this.
Because it drives innovation, why would i bother creating anything that moves society fwd when i get the same reward as a joe schmo working under me?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad