Johnny Gaudreau Should Be The New Face of Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
You know you have a good arguement when you have to try and make other players look bad to prop your own.

Yet you are guilty of what you accuse others of. Connor mcdavid has not proved anything other then a slightly above average rookie season.

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
This.............

Come playoff time, he would be the last guy out of your list I would want. Hearing all these people trying to sell, that size does not matter is comical.

Yet at what point does your SIZE matter? When a player consistently puts up points despite tough play it kind of neutralizes those intangibles you talk about does it not?

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Really? A game breaker that scored 9 points in 11 games in his rookie season is someone who you don't want on your team in the playoffs?

You act people haven't tried to hit him before.... If he doesn't get taken out in the regular season or any tournament so far, what's going to change? Are people all of the sudden better hitters in the playoffs?

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
The saddest thing about a lot of the ignorant comments being posted here is the fact that in Marketing, like it or not, looks, race and personality is a big factor. Obviously the OP has put thought into the big picture as well as how the game can be marketed towards the casual fan.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Gaudreau shouldn't and will never be the face of hockey. Crosby is better,and McDavid will be the new face after Crosby.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The highlighted part is very true, I had relatives over from Sacramento, they were talking about the NBA and Football and I asked them about Ice Hockey and the NHL, all they know knew were that the San Jose Sharks were a hockey team(never watched them) and Johnny Hockey and I was amazed, that they knew Johnny Hockey.

We will have the comments it should be "Connor ****ing McDavid" or "Auston Matthews", the truth, in the US, no one gives a **** about Canadian players, unless they are playing on a US team, Auston Matthews may be more popular than McDavid in US.

Did they actually know Johnny Hockey's real last name though? :laugh:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Horrible defensively? Lol he's a + player in the tournament while your saviour McDavid forgets he's the fastest player in the NHL when he's playing defence and coasts back. And is also a - player in the tournament.

Gaudreau is real good defensively, which is why he's a + player on a team that gave up the most goals of any team last season.

Plus minus I generally don't put much stock into. The fact that JG gets nearly exclusively offensive zone starts really helps with his +/-. And that isn't a bad thing by any means because he is good at keeping the puck in the offensive zone. It doesn't truly speak to how good he is or isn't in the neutral zone or defensive zone though. He rarely gets caught in his own zone, so fewer goals against are going to come. Again, not a bad thing at all, it just doesn't necessarily mean there is a connection to +/- and strong defensive play in his case.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
5LIHRd5.jpg
Can we talk more about this?

buttman*

Johnny is smaller and looks younger than most of my son's peewee team.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I agree, Johnny should get a league maximum 8 year contract because he is the best. I will likely change my opinion after such a contract is signed, but for now, he's the best.

vannuckles

DieBettmanDie
Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C
Horrible defensively? Lol he's a + player in the tournament while your saviour McDavid forgets he's the fastest player in the NHL when he's playing defence and coasts back. And is also a - player in the tournament.

Gaudreau is real good defensively, which is why he's a + player on a team that gave up the most goals of any team last season.

Are you seriously saying you think Little Johnny is better defensively than McD?

Johnny is ALL OFFENSE.

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
As a Flames fan I'm getting pretty sick of all the Gaudreau threads. This is a sure fire way to make people hate him on these boards, and whenever hf hates a player, it's a **** show.

I for one have no problem with it, better than McDavid and Matthews being force fed to us by sportsnet and TSN. Gaudreau was the best player for team North America and as a flames fan I was not surprised by this because I know how great he is but I guess some other people who don't watch him often were. I have no doubt he will be a massive part in the US rebuild for the next olympics and the next 10-15 years.

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
I don't see much separating Johnny from McDavid (age obviously). Sure he doesn't have the dazzling rushes all the time like Connor but he is better in other ways, his puck control and offensive iq are generational. He has a legit shot to be the best offensive player on the planet and I think he will win an art ross at some point

Been saying this for a while now, Connor obviously is faster but Gaudreau is no slouch in the speed department. Johnnys Hockey IQ is off the charts, he always seems to find the killer pass, he's an incredible skater, no one in the league can pivot like he can, Kane even came out and said this. People here seem shocked by this post but they should get used to it because Johnny is only gonna get better.

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
There have been numerous players just as skilled as JG, he scores points and looks good doing it. Hes a top 10 winger today, not a guy that will be an all time great.

What? 143 points in his first 160 NHL games in a league where point totals have gone immensely down means he has no shot at being an all time great. He's he most talented player I've seen play for the flames in my lifetime. He outclasses everyone when he's on the ice, there is no doubt in my mind his jersey will be raised if he stays in Calgary. And he's a top 4 winger bro, nice of you to pretend you know hockey tho

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
The opposite happened. Sick of him now.

I understand the Mcdavid hate now. :laugh:

This.

It's why pushing any player, especially as the face of the NHL or hockey, is a mistake. I'm starting to dislike Matthews and Laine already and I love both of them. Will probably hate them both by mid-season unless I stop reading HF Boards.

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
I completely agree that Gaudreau has the potential to be one of the top players in the game, unfortunately there are two things working against him; his size and his ego. His size issues are well known but with these new contract issues that are coming out it's obvious that he thinks too much of himself. Maybe he'll get it right one day but until then, he's going to be a bust

Ego?? EGO?? Sorry I keep posting on this thread but a lot of people here clearly don't watch him often or follow the flames. As someone whose followed Johnny since his college days this kid has no ego, he always looks for the pass, his teammates love him. He's incredibly competitive, He never has said one word wrong in interviews. He's been nothing but a breath of fresh air for the flames and fans and contracts are contracts, he deserves to be paid and will be that's not having an ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad