News Article: Johnny Gaudreau seeks patent trademark 'JOhnny hockey'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This was just the dose of 'Are you kidding me' that I needed after a long day. His skates aren't even broken in yet...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...y-flames-seeks-patent-trademark-johnny-hockey

He's seeking to patent and trademark Johnny Hockey in USA and Canada
I would recommend going somewhere other than ESPN for accurate hockey coverage, or at least look into matters further to get a clearer picture.

Now here is a more accurate picture of what has happened.

His agent suggested the trademark in the summer and Gaudreau didn't go ahead with it. Then his agent saw shirts with the saying "Johnny ****ing Hockey" online and suggested it to him again and because of the shirts with profanity on them, at which point he agreed and figured it was time to listen to his agent about all things of that regard.

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hoc...ey-trademark-backlash-surprises-gaudreau-camp

The sight of one T-shirt, in particular, seems to have put the wheels in motion.

When Johnny Gaudreau’s agent noticed the eye-catching slogan — “Johnny (Effin’) Hockey” — he went to work, applying for “Johnny Hockey” trademarks with patent offices in Canada and the United States.

Understandably, this garment is not something Lewis Gross wanted associated with his client, a hotshot rookie with the Calgary Flames.

“There were a couple shirts, a couple things, that were derogatory,” Craig Conroy — assistant general manager of the Flames, who was represented by Gross during his playing days — said Wednesday at the Saddledome. “Lewis said, ‘We just want to make sure we monitor it.’ And that’s all it was.

“More than anything, it was to make sure that people weren’t selling stuff that made him look bad. I mean, I think that’s what it came down to.”

“I talked to Lewis,” said Conroy, “and he was shocked at how big a story it had become in Canada. Johnny doesn’t want anyone to think that he’s bigger than anything. He’s just a player on the team and (the nickname) is just something that happened at Boston College.

“More than anything (Gaudreau) was just embarrassed by all the attention it got. He just wanted to keep it low key and pretend it didn’t even happen. I said, ‘Well, it did happen, so now just deal with it.’ ”

“My agent thought at the beginning of the summer it’d be a cool idea,” said Gaudreau, 21. “We talked about it a little bit and nothing happened with it. Recently, the last month here, he saw some things he didn’t want my name associated with and thought it would be best to do this. Whatever he thinks best, I’m going to listen to him. He’s been around the business for a while now.

“I just want to finish out the season and play some good hockey.”

Mild as ever, Gaudreau, already packed up for the Flames’ upcoming four-game trip, acknowledged the topic is one that takes him out of his element, out of his comfort zone.

“I don’t really understand the full concept of (trademarking),” said the Carneys Point, N.J., native. “I don’t understand the TM, what it does. But it’s a little bit of a learning experience for me on the business side of things.

“I just want to play hockey.”

21 year old taking the advice of his agent to combat derogatory clothing, what a monster!

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I seriously have no clue how anyone can say Gaudreau is cocky or full of himself. He may be even more humble than Iginla. He is one classy kid.

Captain Mittens*

I don't think we are saying either. Just want people to have the facts and realize that the original articles were pretty sensationalist and caused a lot of over reactions.

How do you know it's not their job to make sure that people don't under react?

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
"Hey, guys, remember that one time the Flames board came in to flame us for flaming their favorite flame?"

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
How do you know it's not their job to make sure that people don't under react?

You're entitled to your opinion as a hockey fan, and I suppose what you are saying is possible. But personally, my opinion on the matter is based largely on an article that is factual and is supported by actual quotes from the player and agent.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
This kid is such a cocky Dbag.

LOL. Have you ever watched an interview with him? He's the most humble, self-effacing guy I've ever seen. His agent decided to trademark his nickname; he's not going around acting like he's a superstar.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
You're entitled to your opinion as a hockey fan, and I suppose what you are saying is possible. But personally, my opinion on the matter is based largely on an article that is factual and is supported by actual quotes from the player and agent.

LOL. Have you ever watched an interview with him? He's the most humble, self-effacing guy I've ever seen. His agent decided to trademark his nickname; he's not going around acting like he's a superstar.

Are you guys the police or something?

Ron*

Are you guys the police or something?

It's okay. They are two good Flames fans of the board responding to a thread that probably didn't need to put up, much less on the Kings board.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is all about. If I were him, I would do the same thing and so would most of the people commenting on this thread. He's a good kid and he has a lot of talent, and that comment about him being in Europe in five years is kind of a troubling thing to say, really.

I think this thread has run its course, actually. I know I can't write what I really think about it, but I know I have written that before and not get spanked for it.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
It's okay. They are two good Flames fans of the board responding to a thread that probably didn't need to put up, much less on the Kings board.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is all about. If I were him, I would do the same thing and so would most of the people commenting on this thread. He's a good kid and he has a lot of talent, and that comment about him being in Europe in five years is kind of a troubling thing to say, really.

I think this thread has run its course, actually. I know I can't write what I really think about it, but I know I have written that before and not get spanked for it.

Agree with all of this, even made similar comments earlier in the thread, I just think the invasion was highly unnecessary. But yeah, this thread is as good as over.

Captain Mittens*

My opinion is supported by the teamsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad