Value of: Johnny Gaudreau at the deadline

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So why don’t I see all NHLers moved home when they became FA? There are many from western Canada you know. Who is leaping logic?

I am not saying he won’t. He may or he may not it depends on many factors. Saying for sure he is leaving and going to the Flyers is bullshit

What? I’m saying he is a person. And different people value different things. And as someone ages, that can change. I’m not saying he does or doesn’t want to go anywhere, just that using his past choice to sign with Calgary when he was drafted as proof is nonsense.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Based on this thread I would rather keep Gaudreau for 1 year and let him walk than accept these 'offers'.
Yes, the I rather get nothing than get less of what I expect, song. Unfortunately, that song doesn't work for management.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What? I’m saying he is a person. And different people value different things. And as someone ages, that can change. I’m not saying he does or doesn’t want to go anywhere, just that using his past choice to sign with Calgary when he was drafted as proof is nonsense.
You jumped in a conversation about him leaving

it’s not nonsense, for some people like Adam fox, it’s a must to be in NY. All I am saying is it may not be for Gaudreau as it was not his priority before. It may change, it may not.

Traptor

Mar 2, 2021
If Tre gets Eichel with Monahan as the main piece, I will personally build him a really crappy looking statue for the new arena lol
I think you misread me. I meant if they retool EITHER by acquiring Eichel OR moving Monahan. Obviously, Monahan's value is not even close to Eicheil's

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He has 6 pts in 16 games since Sutter has taken over. Seems like those 2 are not a match. Monahan also has 6 pts during that time while Lindholm has 13, Backlund 10, Mang 9, Tkachuk 9, hell...Lucic has 7.

Sportsnet was saying that they expect Calgary to make some big moves, but not at the deadline. Said more likely in the summer.

Gotta think JG is one of those changes.

Last edited:

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
You're not getting a prospect of that caliber...those do not get traded. Just look at trades for similar or better caliber players and what they returned....(Karlsson, Stone O reilly etc.)
Suzuki, Brannstrom got traded for Stone, Pacioretty, Forsberg was traded for ... Erat ;) I think Gaudreau may get a player like that if he is traded. Depends on how you value those prospects.
I know that if I am FLA I do not do this deal because I think Lundell was overlooked at the draft (I would put him in the top 5-6 even though it's close given the other prospects) and I think in 3/4 years if you resign Barkov, you have one of the best one two punch in the league.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
He has 6 pts in 16 games since Sutter has taken over. Seems like those 2 are not a match. Monahan also has 6 pts during that time while Lindholm has 13, Backlund 10, Mang 9, Tkachuk 9, hell...Lucic has 7.

Sportsnet was saying that they expect Calgary to make some big moves, but not at the deadline. Said more likely in the summer.

Gotta think JG is one of those changes.

He definitely will be.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I hope Dubas kicks the tires.

Please no.

Seriously, although I was being serious, I can see a few GMs looking at a "buy low" situation during the summer but the Leafs would have to move salary (Kerfoot) even with Freddie walking, and I don't see the Flames retaining if they don't have to.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
no way does Tre move Gaudreau at the deadline.

There just won't be a market for it to be honest.
If there was a significant market, then I could see it... but simply there won't be enough teams with cap space and the willingness to move the assets Calgary will ask for in a trade.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
There just won't be a market for it to be honest.
If there was a significant market, then I could see it... but simply there won't be enough teams with cap space and the willingness to move the assets Calgary will ask for in a trade.

Canes have the cap space, the assets, a need (Teravainen is out indefinitely), and Don Waddell has said that he is looking for another Trocheck-type hockey deal rather than a rental. But the price would have to be right and I doubt Calgary wants a three-dimes-for-a-quarter deal.

I would think the Canes offer would be something like:

one of Jake Bean, Haydn Fleury, or Joey Keane
+ one of Ryan Suzuki, Jack Drury, Dominik Bokk, or Noel Gunler
+ an extra sweetener (~2nd round pick)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Canes have the cap space, the assets, a need (Teravainen is out indefinitely), and Don Waddell has said that he is looking for another Trocheck-type hockey deal rather than a rental. But the price would have to be right and I doubt Calgary wants a three-dimes-for-a-quarter deal.

I would think the Canes offer would be something like:

one of Jake Bean, Haydn Fleury, or Joey Keane
+ one of Ryan Suzuki, Jack Drury, Dominik Bokk, or Noel Gunler
+ an extra sweetener (~2nd round pick)

I honestly don't know enough about Canes prospects, but this doesn't seem that appealing on face value.
I like Jake Bean a lot from his time in the dub as a Hitman, but I don't know if he could centre-piece a trade for 2 more years of a, normally, fairly elite scorer.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I honestly don't know enough about Canes prospects, but this doesn't seem that appealing on face value.
I like Jake Bean a lot from his time in the dub as a Hitman, but I don't know if he could centre-piece a trade for 2 more years of a, normally, fairly elite scorer.

Bean's stats compare favorably to Sergachev in his first year as a sheltered 3rd pair D. Bean has really impressed me this year. His playstyle is very much a poor-man's Makar. He has the same heady awareness in the offensive zone that makes him a great PPQB.

Drury and Suzuki are two of 15-20 or so Center prospects which have projectable top-6 upside in the NHL. They are both playing well in pro leagues this year.

My guess would be that Calgary would want closer to a 1-for-1 value. Like Seth Jarvis for Gaudreau. And for me I'd rather have 7 cost controlled years of Jarvis during the Canes realistic Cup window than 1.5 years of Gaudreau in the early window.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Bean's stats compare favorably to Sergachev in his first year as a sheltered 3rd pair D. Bean has really impressed me this year. His playstyle is very much a poor-man's Makar. He has the same heady awareness in the offensive zone that makes him a great PPQB.

Drury and Suzuki are two of 15-20 or so Center prospects which have projectable top-6 upside in the NHL. They are both playing well in pro leagues this year.

My guess would be that Calgary would want closer to a 1-for-1 value. Like Seth Jarvis for Gaudreau. And for me I'd rather have 7 cost controlled years of Jarvis during the Canes realistic Cup window than 1.5 years of Gaudreau in the early window.
Jarvis for Gaudreau would be a McPhee type of trade.
It's good value for the Canes though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What more would need to be added to Islanders 1st to get Gaudreau? NJ has space to add him before TDD.

The 23-32nd pick of this draft doesn't have great value to begin with, just with how weird this year has been.
Flames would want a blue-chipper. I don't think Jersey has many of those because they've been bringing their big prospects (Firsts) up to the NHL and wouldn't want to subtract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad