johnny gaudreau 55 flex

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I still stand by my intermediate warrior 55 flex sticks. I'm an inch shorter than Gaudreau and around 30 pounds lighter. If I could get a 45 flex intermediate stick, I totally would. I take 0 clappers so it doesn't deter me.

hmm I wonder if it's worth it to get a junior stick and put a plug in it?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I still stand by my intermediate warrior 55 flex sticks. I'm an inch shorter than Gaudreau and around 30 pounds lighter. If I could get a 45 flex intermediate stick, I totally would. I take 0 clappers so it doesn't deter me.

hmm I wonder if it's worth it to get a junior stick and put a plug in it?

FYI, Base makes a 45 flex Intermediate. I have one, but in comparison to a Warrior stick, to me it still feels stiffer and definitely heavier.

The junior QRL I use has a three inch plug in it. And I recently got a couple of junior Bauer sticks on sale, a 1X and a 1N. The 1X is 49" so I put in a 4" plug into that and a the 1N is 51" so I put a two inch plug into that to bring it to my preferred length 53". For me I don't have any trouble using these sticks. In fact, even with longer plugs, the Bauers still play stiffer than the QRL, so, it's probably very doable for you if you want to give it a try.

Probably the safest junior stick for you to try is the CCM RBZ line. They are the stiffest playing juniors from my experience, with reinforced hosels and blades. I have a Superfast with an 1 inch plug in it, and I have no issues leaning into slapshots with it. To me it feels as stiff or stiffer than my intermediate Warriors.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
FYI, Base makes a 45 flex Intermediate. I have one, but in comparison to a Warrior stick, to me it still feels stiffer and definitely heavier.

The junior QRL I use has a three inch plug in it. And I recently got a couple of junior Bauer sticks on sale, a 1X and a 1N. The 1X is 49" so I put in a 4" plug into that and a the 1N is 51" so I put a two inch plug into that to bring it to my preferred length 53". For me I don't have any trouble using these sticks. In fact, even with longer plugs, the Bauers still play stiffer than the QRL, so, it's probably very doable for you if you want to give it a try.

Probably the safest junior stick for you to try is the CCM RBZ line. They are the stiffest playing juniors from my experience, with reinforced hosels and blades. I have a Superfast with an 1 inch plug in it, and I have no issues leaning into slapshots with it. To me it feels as stiff or stiffer than my intermediate Warriors.

How tall are you if I may ask?

Adding a plug should decrease the flex of the sticks right? I know also that Junior sticks have smaller shaft diameters and blades; does that affect noticeably affect your game?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
How tall are you if I may ask?

Adding a plug should decrease the flex of the sticks right? I know also that Junior sticks have smaller shaft diameters and blades; does that affect noticeably affect your game?

I'm 5'5 180lbs.

How much the length affects the flex with juniors is weird. Zero consistency, so the only thing I have to go on is feel. With CCM sticks, the markings say each inch equals 1 flex. The Bauer markings say each inch is like 3.5 flex. I added 4 inches to my 1X and it does not feel like a 36 flex. All my sticks are the same length and are supposed to be stock 50 flex, but my Warrior with a two inch plug plays way softer than my 1X with a 4 inch plug.

As for how junior dimensions affect my game, shaft dimensions didn't require any adjustments. I have small hands. And to battle issues with durability, I just put strips of hockey tape over bottom part of the shaft protecting the slash zone from chips. Haven't broken a stick yet. I play center and face a decent amount of slashing.

As for blade, it depends on the individual stick. There are large junior blades and smaller ones. The larger ones are only about 1cm shorter in length and width, at least with the P92 curve. I started off using those. Didn't take long to adjust to that, but the shorter blades took a bit more of adjustment. But now that I'm used to it. My game is basically the same as it was before. In fact, I find I can use a wider range of sticks and not have to even think when I switch between them.

The biggest adjustment is with blade softness. Some brand's blades are stiffer while others are softer. Warrior blades tend to be a little soft, so sometimes if the other center is observant, they know they can power through my blade during a face off. When that happens I just switch sticks. I bring three different sticks to my games now, and switch between depending on how the game is playing out.

Another issue is with one timers. The softer the blade, the more tricky it is to get off a good one timer. Not big slap shot type one timers, but the quick pass and snap in close type. Softer blades make for more flubs. But like I said pick a stick model with the stiffer blade and that issue goes away.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I'm 5'5 180lbs.

How much the length affects the flex with juniors is weird. Zero consistency, so the only thing I have to go on is feel. With CCM sticks, the markings say each inch equals 1 flex. The Bauer markings say each inch is like 3.5 flex. I added 4 inches to my 1X and it does not feel like a 36 flex. All my sticks are the same length and are supposed to be stock 50 flex, but my Warrior with a two inch plug plays way softer than my 1X with a 4 inch plug.

As for how junior dimensions affect my game, shaft dimensions didn't require any adjustments. I have small hands. And to battle issues with durability, I just put strips of hockey tape over bottom part of the shaft protecting the slash zone from chips. Haven't broken a stick yet. I play center and face a decent amount of slashing.

As for blade, it depends on the individual stick. There are large junior blades and smaller ones. The larger ones are only about 1cm shorter in length and width, at least with the P92 curve. I started off using those. Didn't take long to adjust to that, but the shorter blades took a bit more of adjustment. But now that I'm used to it. My game is basically the same as it was before. In fact, I find I can use a wider range of sticks and not have to even think when I switch between them.

The biggest adjustment is with blade softness. Some brand's blades are stiffer while others are softer. Warrior blades tend to be a little soft, so sometimes if the other center is observant, they know they can power through my blade during a face off. When that happens I just switch sticks. I bring three different sticks to my games now, and switch between depending on how the game is playing out.

Another issue is with one timers. The softer the blade, the more tricky it is to get off a good one timer. Not big slap shot type one timers, but the quick pass and snap in close type. Softer blades make for more flubs. But like I said pick a stick model with the stiffer blade and that issue goes away.
Wow thanks for the detailed response! I may look into a junior stick next time.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Years ago I used 100 flexes, went down to 85 for the last 2 years because of recommendations here, but am going to go back to 100 again. 85 is just too "stringy" for me, I need a stiffer stick. My accuracy also went to crap with an 85.

5'9 - 175lbs.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Aren't the blades significantly smaller too? How did you get used to that?

Size difference can vary. As mentioned, some junior blades are only slightly smaller while others are significantly smaller, but once you get use to it, it doesn't matter, at least not to me.

I mean I hear stories about some NHL players like Adam Oates who use to cut the tips off their blades. I suspect that kind of thing still goes on in the NHL, so generally speaking--ahem--size doesn't matter.

At least that's what all the girls tell me as they pat my head and say, "There-There. There-There."

American in Paris

Feb 15, 2013
I'm 6'2" 185lbs and I LOVE my STX 60 flex. I can't get quite the same heat on my slapper that I could with my Sherwood 100 flex, but I still have a quick and accurate shot from the point. And the 60 flex does everything else much better. Snappers and wristers fly faster with less effort. Stretch passes and saucers are quicker and easier to get off.

Another selling point I never see mentioned is that the extra flex is much easier on the tendons in the elbows and wrist.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
I'm 6'2" 185lbs and I LOVE my STX 60 flex. I can't get quite the same heat on my slapper that I could with my Sherwood 100 flex, but I still have a quick and accurate shot from the point. And the 60 flex does everything else much better. Snappers and wristers fly faster with less effort. Stretch passes and saucers are quicker and easier to get off.

Another selling point I never see mentioned is that the extra flex is much easier on the tendons in the elbows and wrist.

I can agree with that. My elbows/wrists don't hurt after games anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad