Confirmed with Link: Johnny Boychuk signs 7 year $42M extension (See Stickies for Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCoolRunner

Apr 8, 2011
I just got the notification on my smart watch as I was making a cup of coffee. I instantly ran from the pot of coffee to insert an emphatic fist pump in celebration.

Boychuk and Leddy makes me a happy guy!

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
But I thought the Boychuk brothers did not have an insight on what was happening with Johnny and the negotiations??

:sarcasm::naughty:

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
The length is questionable but the money is just fine. At the end of the day it's what needed to be done and I'm very very very happy. I even did a little dance hahaha.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
great News! our two best D men locked up for 7 years at reasonable dollars. this will also payoff when Boychuk and leddy teach Pulock and Reinhart how to be everyday NHLers!

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
great News! our two best D men locked up for 7 years at reasonable dollars. this will also payoff when Boychuk and leddy teach Pulock and Reinhart how to be everyday NHLers!

Ironically, Leddy is not much older than those two pups.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
I realize what it is, guy. Doesn't mean I think it's good.

would you rather let him walk and pay a bottom pairing defenseman like Andrew MacDonald 5mm per year? Or how about having brian strait be our 6th dman? Or how about having 2 rookies in a 20 min/game role? he will likely be declining in years 6-7 of the deal, but it is, what it is....by then 6 million will likely be #4-5 dman AAV...lets just hope he stays healthy and is still servicebale in years 6-7

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Boychuk is the new Butch Goring, the catalyst for this team to finally become a true contender.

0707Goring2.jpg

LaF16

Jun 28, 2004
Is the money spread out evenly throughout the entire contract? Front loaded? Back loaded? Any details?

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
would you rather let him walk and pay a bottom pairing defenseman like Andrew MacDonald 5mm per year?

Just because I don't like the term doesn't mean I want to pay Andrew MacDonald $5m per year.

I like Boychuk. I just don't like 7 years nor do I think he's good enough to commit $6 per to. But, like you said, "it is what it is". The Isles painted themselves in a bit of a corner with this situation. They pretty much had to pay in $ and term or risk having a hole in the lineup for the next 2 years.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
This signing does so many things on so many levels for the Islanders. I can't even read the main board because nobody else really knows the true impact.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007

Wow. Great news, great AAV. No one loves seven years, but I was scared of 7x7.

We are officially one defenseman away from full blown contender status*.

*This is not intended to inspire debate over our status this year; I agree that every playoff team is a contender. However I don't think this defense gets the team where it wants to be, so adding one more big talent (either via promotion or FA) does the trick.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Just because I don't like the term doesn't mean I want to pay Andrew MacDonald $5m per year.

I like Boychuk. I just don't like 7 years nor do I think he's good enough to commit $6 per to. But, like you said, "it is what it is". The Isles painted themselves in a bit of a corner with this situation. They pretty much had to pay in $ and term or risk having a hole in the lineup for the next 2 years.

I assume you are referring to Pulock? He's gifted offensively from the backend, but as highly touted as he is, he's not a lock to be a top four defenseman.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc

understood, not saying that any of my alternatives were what you wanted to do....was just trying to show that this was the best scenario.....we should get at least 5 good years out of this contract....lets just hope he stays healthy

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
anyone have the clip of boychuk's press conference? his brother sam just asked me for it on twitter

Sam Boychuk
‏@SaBoych
@JAG5624 i didnt get a chance to hear I am at work. Anybody have that they could share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad