Confirmed with Link: Johnny Boychuk signs 7 year $42M extension (See Stickies for Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://www.thescore.com/news/638421

New York Islanders general manager Garth Snow is a gambling man.

Last season the oft-criticized general manager, best known perhaps for his mastery of the waiver wire or his signing of Rick DiPietro to the single worst contract of the salary cap era, gambled early in the year by trading for pending unrestricted free agent Thomas Vanek. That deal backfired in a major way.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
All we can do is keep winning. Given the money that we can give him, he'll find a gorgeous place to live on LI.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Well, im focused on the season...we didnt give up a ton to get him, if he ends up being an islanders for one year it will s uck but it wont hurt to bad as long as we replace him. That being said i would love to keep him and i think a playoff run would be exactly what we would need to peak his interest in a long term deal here. He is a focal point here, in Boston he was one of many good defenseman. That also has to mean something to a player...being wanted by the team and not just an expendable asset.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
If he doesn't resign he will be a hot commodity at the deadline... Plus with the way Pulock has been playing at the AHL.

Again, just saying. Would rather try and get something back then let him walk for nothing if that is what he is thinking about doing.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Yeah, I respect Boychuck's decision, but not happy about this.

I don't think there's anything to be happy or unhappy about. He's been with the Islanders for under 2 months. His family has been in the area for way less than that. Unless you expected him to commit himself to a new life based on a month or two, there's really nothing to see here.

As far as getting something for himat the deadline goes though — what's wrong with some people here? Winning is the end goal, not asset accumulation. Boychuk is here to help us win hockey games this season, not to help us arbitrage 2 second rounders into more/better draft picks.

No matter how well Pulock is playing in the AHL, you don't dump your ice-time leader from a playoff contender! Forget the huge drop off from Boychuk to a rookie on a learning curve — how could you do that to the players/fans?

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
If he doesn't resign he will be a hot commodity at the deadline... Plus with the way Pulock has been playing at the AHL.

Again, just saying. Would rather try and get something back then let him walk for nothing if that is what he is thinking about doing.

This x 100 - do not want picks but I am sure some team in desperate need may take a flier on a chance of long term signature.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
This x 100 - do not want picks but I am sure some team in desperate need may take a flier on a chance of long term signature.

Was expecting to get fired on for that post but all reality that is how I feel... It's a business and I love what Boychuk has brought to the NYI thus far but ultimately if he does not want to resign it only makes sense to deal him.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Boychuk is a very solid defenseman. I hope he stays, but don't consider him to be irreplaceable.
If he stays great, if not then I hope we get a playoff run out of him and improve the isles standing among ufas.

One key could be whether the cap stays around $69m. Seems like several teams counted on it rising and that's now doubtful.

Isles1

Nov 8, 2010
Nassau County, L.I.
Was expecting to get fired on for that post but all reality that is how I feel... It's a business and I love what Boychuk has brought to the NYI thus far but ultimately if he does not want to resign it only makes sense to deal him.

But there is a condition in this trade that we lose a third round pick to Boston if we trade Boychuk to an Eastern conf team right? So this would leave us with trading him to the Western conference if need be before the deadline, and if it's with one of the top teams in that conf, there are cap issues to consider with many of them.

If Snow is forced to trade him, he will surely be going out west, or we keep him and get nothing in return if he chooses to test FA and sign with someone else in July.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Well, im focused on the season...we didnt give up a ton to get him, if he ends up being an islanders for one year it will s uck but it wont hurt to bad as long as we replace him. That being said i would love to keep him and i think a playoff run would be exactly what we would need to peak his interest in a long term deal here. He is a focal point here, in Boston he was one of many good defenseman. That also has to mean something to a player...being wanted by the team and not just an expendable asset.

If you look at the assets from the vanek trade and boychuck trade and both walk away, then the Isles have given up A LOT on gambles with the intent to signing desirable players.

You know if Boychuck ain't signed by the dealine Garth is still keeping him - he almost he too as too much is in the line to lose him.

The issue becomes in future competitive seasons the Isles have already mortgaged assets for players that are not contributing on the ice when the team should be annually competitive.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

Here we go again. Nhl sc winner and proven top 4 man can be easily replaced by an islanders prospect as a turn key solution. :shakehead

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I don't think there's anything to be happy or unhappy about. He's been with the Islanders for under 2 months. His family has been in the area for way less than that. Unless you expected him to commit himself to a new life based on a month or two, there's really nothing to see here.

As far as getting something for himat the deadline goes though — what's wrong with some people here? Winning is the end goal, not asset accumulation. Boychuk is here to help us win hockey games this season, not to help us arbitrage 2 second rounders into more/better draft picks.

No matter how well Pulock is playing in the AHL, you don't dump your ice-time leader from a playoff contender! Forget the huge drop off from Boychuk to a rookie on a learning curve — how could you do that to the players/fans?
I'm all on board with this ^^. make the playoffs and run with it as far as you can. Boychuck will be a key to any success we can have there, deal with the situation after the season. We will have an exclusivity to sign him before July 1, and if he won't commit, Garth can sell the rights for something good, take our chances in FA.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Here we go again. Nhl sc winner and proven top 4 man can be easily replaced by an islanders prospect as a turn key solution. :shakehead

Your logic is stupid because imagine if that scenario happened... You basically throw two 2nd round draft picks down the drain for a guy that spends just one year on your club.

YoureMyBoyLou

Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
Your logic is stupid because imagine if that scenario happened... You basically throw two 2nd round draft picks down the drain for a guy that spends just one year on your club.

He's been a key part of what is happening here this season. Changing the culture from a losing team to a winning team has value as well that will last beyond his one season here should he leave.

Let's not also forget that a lot of this can be contract posturing. If he sounds too eager to sign, he may not get the best offer he can from the team. Probably better to play hard to get.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008

This is a tough one.

I think the Isles need to keep him and not deal him at the deadline to a contender.

Aren't the Isles borderline contenders? Won't his playoff experience prove invaluable in the locker room and on the ice?

Depends, as always, as who the Isles get. A (hopefully not over the hill) defenseman with playoff expereicnce (preferably with a Cup!) from a team with no chance of making the playoffs - who must have a multi-year contract - so the Isles just don't lose him over the summer; who fits this bill?

Here's the equation:

Picks/players < or > Manchuk's Stanley Cup experience (assuming the Isles make the playoffs) going along with the risk of losing him.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

We didn't throw two second round picks down the drain. We used them to win games.

This is like complaining, after using your most recent paycheck to take an expensive international vacation, that you didn't make any money last month. You spent it! The added wins Boychuk can provide in one year is more value than we'd likely get out of two random 2nd rounders, considering the depth of our prospect pool.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

respectfully disagree because if we are in the middle of a playoff run, why would we trade one of our top D without being able to replace him this year. The value is for this year, trading him for draft picks during this season is what I would consider being an opportunity thrown away.. Is it that us Isle fans are so conditioned to building that we are now undervaluing the current year?

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
We didn't throw two second round picks down the drain. We used them to win games.

This is like complaining, after taking an expensive international vacation, that you didn't make any money last month. You spent it! The added wins Boychuk can provide in one year is more value than we'd likely get out of two random 2nd rounders, considering the depth of our prospect pool.

Ok so are you arguing that winning in the now is more important then a sustained success?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
It is discouraging to think he will split, but if you are serious about a playoff run you keep him, so sure, Garth will not move him at the deadline. I respect that some of you would move him if he won't sign, that is good assett management, but the reality is. Playoff run is worth more to the GM, today.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Having lived in both cities I'd just like to say, NYC >> BOS. The roads just suck in Boston. I blame the Pilgrims.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
It is discouraging to think he will split, but if you are serious about a playoff run you keep him, so sure, Garth will not move him at the deadline. I respect that some of you would move him if he won't sign, that is good assett management, but the reality is. Playoff run is worth more to the GM, today.

This. I think he'll sign a three year contract for 6,5.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Having lived in both cities I'd just like to say, NYC >> BOS. The roads just suck in Boston. I blame the Pilgrims.

I live in Boston and the city planners who designed the streets were idiots. There is like no law and order to how the streets are designed with all of these stupid rotaries and squares. It's been a big frustration of mine for a long time.

There are areas that ALWAYS have traffic and a big part of that is because of how things are designed. It really is the dumbest thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad