Johnny Bower

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
I remember the goal horn blasting behind him a lot. May have damaged his hearing. He may have got PTSD from all the flashing red lights behind him. The most interesting thing about Bower was that he didn't become a regular in the NHL until he was 29 and he played until he was 45. He really had an awesome career. Amazingly his birth name was John Kiszkan of Ukrainian descent. Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Bower

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I would highly recommend his autobiography, called The China Wall. I've met him, and he's the nicest man you'll ever meet, but I never realized how funny he was until I read his book. He's a great story teller.

One interesting part of the book was when he mentioned that he was never supposed to become a Leaf. He was 34 years old and was playing in the minors, and was very happy in Cleveland, where he had spent most of his hockey career, and even thought of retirement to get a "real job". He never grew up a Leafs fan, and had no interest in leaving Cleveland when the Leafs came calling. He owned a small diner in a resort in Saskatchewan, which he personally operated every summer in the offseason. Someone convinced him to go play with the Leafs by reminding him that he wasn't famous playing in Cleveland, and that if he played for Toronto, everyone in Canada would know him, and his small Saskatchewan diner would never have to worry about customers again after his retirement. The rest is history: he joined the Leafs at 34, won 4 cups, became a Leaf for life, and he was never forgotten in hockey again.

Milt Schmidt just passed away last night. He was the oldest living former NHL player, and he wasn't that much older than Johnny. Appreciate him while he's here and while his mind is still sharp. And oh man, does he ever love the Leafs, and meeting Leafs fans. I just hope he hangs around long enough to witness our next cup.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well if Johnny is a beloved leafs hero who is 92 yrs old and is living on a small pension. Shouldnt the leafs brass make sure he has proper hearing aids so we can enjoy him for another 10 yrs

You have no idea what Bower's financial situation is or if he would even want hearing aids.

Also, hearing aids don't extend your life.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Well if Johnny is a beloved leafs hero who is 92 yrs old and is living on a small pension. Shouldnt the leafs brass make sure he has proper hearing aids so we can enjoy him for another 10 yrs

I can't confirm but I'm willing to bet Johnny Bower is doing alright financially.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I would highly recommend his autobiography, called The China Wall. I've met him, and he's the nicest man you'll ever meet, but I never realized how funny he was until I read his book. He's a great story teller.

One interesting part of the book was when he mentioned that he was never supposed to become a Leaf. He was 34 years old and was playing in the minors, and was very happy in Cleveland, where he had spent most of his hockey career, and even thought of retirement to get a "real job". He never grew up a Leafs fan, and had no interest in leaving Cleveland when the Leafs came calling. He owned a small diner in a resort in Saskatchewan, which he personally operated every summer in the offseason. Someone convinced him to go play with the Leafs by reminding him that he wasn't famous playing in Cleveland, and that if he played for Toronto, everyone in Canada would know him, and his small Saskatchewan diner would never have to worry about customers again after his retirement. The rest is history: he joined the Leafs at 34, won 4 cups, became a Leaf for life, and he was never forgotten in hockey again.

Milt Schmidt just passed away last night. He was the oldest living former NHL player, and he wasn't that much older than Johnny. Appreciate him while he's here and while his mind is still sharp. And oh man, does he ever love the Leafs, and meeting Leafs fans. I just hope he hangs around long enough to witness our next cup.

The man has a bottle of champagne he saved from the dressing room in 1967 that he vowed to never open until the Leafs won again. I have no idea what it would taste like but it sure would be nice if he got to open it before he's gone.

Yes, incredibly nice man. My all time Leaf favourite. Got him to autograph a goalie stick for me, a hat for my father and got a picture of the two of us holding my Bower jersey, the only jersey I own.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
The man has a bottle of champagne he saved from the dressing room in 1967 that he vowed to never open until the Leafs won again. I have no idea what it would taste like but it sure would be nice if he got to open it before he's gone.

Yes, incredibly nice man. My all time Leaf favourite. Got him to autograph a goalie stick for me, a hat for my father and got a picture of the two of us holding my Bower jersey, the only jersey I own.

That's awesome to hear.

Another cool fact about Johnny: there is a park named after him in the neighborhood where he lives. I don't know about now, but even up until a few years ago, he would personally clean up the park a few times a week, because he took pride in everything that had to do with him. With how happy he looks, I wouldn't be surprised if he's still doing it!

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
He did a public signing at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Nov.
He was very out of it, but not anymore so than any other 92 year old.

He was smiling, took pics with us and we spoke for about 2 minutes and shook my hand.
We were happy to see him out there for the CC.

Hope to see him at more events for years to come.

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
He's 92 what do you expect? Side note I love Bower, favorite Leaf Alumni.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
Johnny Bower was truly a great goaltender. The goalies of the era did not wear masks and faced Bobby Hull on a regular basis. Glenn Hall used to vomit before every game, fearing injury. The goalie equipment of the day was so much smaller and heavier than todays equipment. Goalies were heroic.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Puck to the face, busted lip, bleeding from the brow, but the brill cream hasn't moved a bit, and he's still smiling.

Johnny Bower is the original "beauty".

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That's awesome to hear.

Another cool fact about Johnny: there is a park named after him in the neighborhood where he lives. I don't know about now, but even up until a few years ago, he would personally clean up the park a few times a week, because he took pride in everything that had to do with him. With how happy he looks, I wouldn't be surprised if he's still doing it!

My last house was a 5 minute walk from there, I can remember seeing him on the ice in the winter with a shovel cleaning it off for kids to skate.

They make quality of life better

Tune u in instead of being tuned out

Rest easy. I think we can safely assume that if he wanted or needed a hearing aid he would get them. As for quality of life?? He's Johnny Bower, possibly the coolest 90 year old on the planet.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I met him at an autograph signing about 3 years ago, got my Leafs jersey and picture of Bower signed and a picture with him. Great man.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I missed this thread when it first appeared. If he's anything like a couple of older gentlemen I know he just doesn't want to wear a hearing aid. One relative of mine just won't wear it. He wouldn't go to a hearing aid clinic because he heard it was too expensive in some Toronto Star article. He has the money but since he won't go we offer to pay for it. Still no go. We buy him a hearing device from the Hearing Society cleverly disguised as a "television listening" amplifier. It's not cheap. He uses it at home until someone mistakenly suggests using it for doctor visits. Once it had the stigma of being a hearing aid, he won't use it now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad